Whistler 2010

at the drive in

Likes Dirt
hey guys,
looking at heading over in August, for 3 weeks, i will shoot off for a couple of days to do a tour of the rockies.
but will be there for a bit of riding and mainly to hang out at crankworx, i went to the travel agent and they were showing me all hotels and stuff like hilton and stuff...

where do you reckon is the best place to stay for a 2.5 week stay, with out costing a fortune, just as long as it has a bed, a shower and room in the room for my bike.

cheers
If all you are after is just a bed, shower and bike storage then you really couldn't go past Whistler staff accommodation, Its only $450 a month so you save alot of cash.

If your planning on going to the rockies hire and car and do it, dont bother with the train.

M|ke

Likes Dirt
Im heading over in early-mid April for a year as im just waiting for my visa to come back, anyone know where the best place to look for share a houses? Im going solo and its the best way i could think of to be interactive and cheapish.... Also what are some standards rates for accomodation?

rsquared

Likes Dirt
sweet, will be at merlins for sure on Thursday. Just sucks they took our $1 beer Thursday's away from us.... !! Can't wait for the bike park to open!!

Mugger

Senir oMermber
Myself and most of the yups are locked for the 2/7 to the 25/7 in the greystone lodge, can't wait.

paddonq

Likes Bikes
Im heading over in early-mid April for a year as im just waiting for my visa to come back, anyone know where the best place to look for share a houses? Im going solo and its the best way i could think of to be interactive and cheapish.... Also what are some standards rates for accomodation?
Hey mate, as 'At the drive in' said, Whistler staff accom is probably the cheapest place to stay at around $450 a month.
It's not bad accom from what ive seen.a descent bed, kitchen etc. The place i shared was nearly twice that price i think. You dont have to work for the mountain to get it either. I think you have to apply for it before you get there though.

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
Flights

When is the best and cheapest time to book flights?

I checked out a few airlines today and return tickets are all around $2,500+

Where are these $1,500 flights that people booked last year?

Amber

Likes Bikes
My best advice is keep looking at various websites to watch the flight prices. You will find these vary in some instances daily so it certainly pays to watch. We managed to get flights from Melbourne via Auckland to Vancouver for about $1600 leaving in August, so it's just a case of watching and being ready when the flights are there to book. Check out the websites for Air NZ, Air Canada, Vaustralia, bestflights.com.au & webjet.com.au - these basically cover off most of the routes. Good luck!!! Roll on August!!!:)

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt
webjet is your best bet ... were going direct with air canada so its $2154 return but if you go via NZ it drops to $1600

when is everyone going ?? maybe we should organise a rotor in BC meet up

Dragonwoody

Likes Dirt
webjet is your best bet ... were going direct with air canada so its $2154 return but if you go via NZ it drops to $1600

when is everyone going ?? maybe we should organise a rotor in BC meet up
Thanks for advice everyone. Wow, $600 off for a stop over. Depends how long the stop over is. I have seen lately that the stop over has been 8-10 hours and hence makes the trip nearly 22 hours instead of 14. I would prefer a direct flight though$600 is a lot for a tightarse like me.

ElectroFunkster

Likes Dirt
Thanks for advice everyone. Wow, $600 off for a stop over. Depends how long the stop over is. I have seen lately that the stop over has been 8-10 hours and hence makes the trip nearly 22 hours instead of 14. I would prefer a direct flight though$600 is a lot for a tightarse like me.
no Im with you .. I'll pay $600 not to sit in NZ for 8 hours

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do any airlines take bikes for free going to Whistler?

Looking at Air Canada i can get a flight for $1940 inc. tax return, flying direct. However they slug you $50 extra per way for the bike!
I can get a cheaper flight via HK on Cathay but im not sure what their rules are with bikes.