Whistler 2011

travvyB

Likes Dirt
Just wondering if anyone is doing a Whistler trip next year? Thinking of heading over to the states around june - julyish for a road trip with my brother and might pop over to Canada for a week or two and get some riding in.

Trav

Doggy

Inconceivable!
Yeah, We are looking at heading over in July. Not dates yet but somewhere around there. Should probably get organised I guess

jasevr4

Likes Dirt
Will be staying on for a little while yet. Not sure if we'll leave just before or just after Crankworx yet..

adman

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I'm intending to move there in May/June, ride for the summer and then ski for the winter until about November.

Still unsure about where I'm going to get a job though, I should probably get onto that.

dcrofty

Eats Squid
My partner is making noises about going back to visit friends and I'm doing nothing to discourage her.

travvyB

Likes Dirt
Sick as. I've actually never been over so i'll be a first timer. Still unsure on whether I should hire or take my bike over tho. I guess it would be logical to hire seeing as i'll be scooting across America aswell.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Im startin to plan moving over in July aswell, Went over there this year but had a crash real early in the trip and broke my wrist. Want to make up for it next year haha.

Any of you guys tradies at all? Im thinking about trying to find some work in carpentry rather then just a general shop job or something.

theMerryPrankster

Likes Dirt
For those looking to work over in Whistler, try getting in contact with Intrawest before you leave (Intrawest being the company that owns the mountains).

A number of people I know have been able to arrange interviews and have jobs sorted before they leave. And depending on your skill set, there's a hugeeeee range of jobs available on the mountain.

beardi

Likes Dirt
Any of you guys tradies at all? Im thinking about trying to find some work in carpentry rather then just a general shop job or something.
Had quite a few mates that were tradies. They work long hours in the summer to make the most of the long days, so doesn't leave a lot of time to ride. I could have got a job in my profession too, but came to the conclusion that I was there to ride not work. I got a job in a liquor store and bar - the perfect job because i rarely started before 3pm.

ademb

Likes Dirt
Had quite a few mates that were tradies. They work long hours in the summer to make the most of the long days, so doesn't leave a lot of time to ride. I could have got a job in my profession too, but came to the conclusion that I was there to ride not work. I got a job in a liquor store and bar - the perfect job because i rarely started before 3pm.
Yeah I thought that may be the case, they'd work like crazy in the summer then slow it down in the winter. Its just so tough to suck up those $10 an hour jobs haha, thought I might be able to work a few days a week as a chippie, knock out some big hours then have 4 day weekends or something haha

L-iam

Likes Bikes
Im startin to plan moving over in July aswell, Went over there this year but had a crash real early in the trip and broke my wrist. Want to make up for it next year haha.

you sound like me. i broke my wrist on 2nd day here in august...

im in whistler right now, heading home in 3 weeks. so a bit before snow opening the 25th november...

ill be back next year for a year or 18months at least.
im a tradie. (BM/W) the wages are shit i dont want to work in my trade here. id rather do something with better hours for pretty much the same money.

ademb

Likes Dirt
you sound like me. i broke my wrist on 2nd day here in august...

im in whistler right now, heading home in 3 weeks. so a bit before snow opening the 25th november...

ill be back next year for a year or 18months at least.
im a tradie. (BM/W) the wages are shit i dont want to work in my trade here. id rather do something with better hours for pretty much the same money.
Lol yeah I had my crash on the 5th day, 1 and only stack in that whole time and it just happened to be a washout on crank it up that took me out haha. Only just gone back to work after 2 months.

Im still going to look into the tradework personally. Even if its just slinging together decks or something, its got to be better then the pay my 2 mates were making when I was over there. Although Im not sure what Canada is like with insurances, licences etc. Got 8 months to look into it haha

L-iam

Likes Bikes
yeah carpenters are more highly sort after here than welders as well... i think anyway not that ive looked into it much. i rode with an aussie bloke a couple of days he was a carpenter. i didnt ask what the pay was like.

but theres deffinatly work for them here.

i fell off on a shit stupid crash on a line. just at the end of the a line singletrack before the right hander at the end of the chute...

i still got nearly 3 weeks riding in every day for the last few weeks the park was open.

still feel robbed ill be back next year.

rsquared

Likes Dirt
Yeah I'll be back again next season. Not sure if I'm working this time or not. I've just done a Summer-Winter-Summer working over there so hoping to maybe be able to go and just ride this time and not worry about work.

For those intending to work, FYI I've heard rumours of the Canadian Working Holiday Program changing back to the old system for Australians. At the moment we are extremely lucky and can get 2 year visas, renewable up to the age of 30. Apparently they are going back to the 1 year, 1 only visa so if you have worked there before you won't get another visa. I've had a quick look on the Canadian WHP website and can't see any mention of it but plenty of people seem to know about it over there at Whistler. I've heard if you get your application in before early December this year you may still be able to get one under the current system.

If someone wants to give the consulate a call and post up any info I'm sure plenty of people would like to know.

If you have a trade, you can generally pick up work over summer relatively easy I think. Much better money than the mountain jobs as well.

Adman, if you go to ride the season and only hang around till november you won't be doing much skiing. Season opening day for winter is usually late november unless it dumps and they can open early.

dave_hl

Likes Bikes
Hey everyone... nice to hear you're all getting pumped for whistler 2011!!!
I'm trying to sort out accomodation for when im there. Will be there for the start month and end month of the mtb season... i'm also thinkin of going early and catching the end on the snow season.

My approximate dates:
late march until mid june
and
early september till mid october.

If anyone has a cheap bed or can point me in the direction of one for all or some of those times then that'd be awesome... I'm thinkin about staff accomodation but from what it sounds like i can't rely on that being available seeing as priority goes to staff staying on from the winter season.

cheers fellas.
Dave

Stay in Canada!

My advice as a good Vancouver boy is skip most of the states and ride in British Columbia,lol. The raddest riding in North America is in British Columbia...def. do Whistler but dont forget the North Shore of Vancouver and venture inland to Nelson and Rossland, 2 of the raddest areas you will ever come across...of course places like Moab are awesome,but life in B.C. is the best in N.A.