Whistler 2014!!

Mitch243

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was looking for Whistler return tickets not too long ago with 2x 23kg. Found a few $1800 or less return online and best I got from a travel agent was $2100 return.

I've just flown Brisbane ->Sydney->Dallas->Calgary for $1400 with 2x 23kg one way... Admittedly that was with 3 days notice.

Hoping thats a comparison for someone...

[edit]Oh, and bike box got destroyed first leg so pack your bikes well!

phillywa

Likes Dirt
I'm heading over mid july, hopefully going to stay 4-6 weeks. No accommodation plans as of yet, anybody else heading over at a similar time?

Just entered the crankworx enduro, so i'm pretty keen for that!

Good luck with that. Was there last year checking it out and the race is steep and long and rocky and rooty.

Going back to whiss in august for a month with a few buddies. See you peeps there

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
I was just reading Pique Magazine and came across this. From what I heard they have heaps of empty beds in summer and open it up to non staff. Could solve some short term accom issues people are having. Not sure about bikes and security but for the price and location definitely worth checking into.

http://classifieds.piquenewsmagazin...tail/?src=search&rkw=Fairmont&rp=1&rc=3227472

If someone looks into it let me or us here know.

Last edited:

Camby88

Likes Dirt
Whistler FTMFW

I was at whistler last year for two weeks 20th July - 2nd August. Stayed at Bearback biking, it is a lodge for riders, really good if you're not going for long as they provide breakfast and dinner and a guide most mornings, full tool kits and bike areas and only riders staying there!

It is more expensive obviously, but you dont have to worry about anything. :party:

I'll be there and staying at BBB this year from June 7-17 with some friends all going well! Good luck to anyone going!

Just don't do what i did and separate your shoulder on the fourth day!!

Campbell

Oh and STA travel FTW - Sydney - vancouver (with bike box included) was $1400 return at one point

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was just reading Pique Magazine and came across this. From what I heard they have heaps of empty beds in summer and open it up to non staff. Could solve some short term accom issues people are having. Not sure about bikes and security but for the price and location definitely worth checking into.

http://classifieds.piquenewsmagazin...tail/?src=search&rkw=Fairmont&rp=1&rc=3227472

If someone looks into it let me or us here know.
Just emailing them now, will let you know how it goes.

I'm heading over with a couple of other boys on the 22nd of july, and staying until september 2nd. Anybody else going to be around at the same time?

zacapp

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was there for 3 weeks last year. Stayed at the west-in right at the bottom of the lifts and I got 1550$ flights direct. Hopefully head over for a couple weeks this year. Cheapest flights I've found is around 1900 with air canada.

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was there for 3 weeks last year. Stayed at the west-in right at the bottom of the lifts and I got 1550$ flights direct. Hopefully head over for a couple weeks this year. Cheapest flights I've found is around 1900 with air canada.
Check out qantas at the moment, i just booked flights for $1840 with them.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Just emailing them now, will let you know how it goes.

I'm heading over with a couple of other boys on the 22nd of july, and staying until september 2nd. Anybody else going to be around at the same time?
Would you be able to post up the email address and name of the accommodation from that link? I saw the ad the other day, but can't seem to find it now (link just goes to the Pique website).

I'm heading over early July FWIW.

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Would you be able to post up the email address and name of the accommodation from that link? I saw the ad the other day, but can't seem to find it now (link just goes to the Pique website).

I'm heading over early July FWIW.
LOOKING FOR
A CHANGE IN
SCENERY?
COME MEET SOME
NEW PEOPLE AND
WRAP UP YOUR
SEASON SLOPESIDE!
Fairmont Whistler Housing Division
Fairmont Housing a division of
Fairmont Hotels and Resorts
offers accommodation for Private
Renters in our Colleague Housing
Buildings located slope side on
Blackcomb Mountain. You won’t
find a more reasonable rate, the
tenancy terms are flexible, it’s a
great place to meet people from
around the world and enjoy a season
together. We are centrally located
on the Mountain, a quick walk to
the village and on the bus route…
or take the Gondola to work!
Give us a call to assist with any
questions you may have and request
an application.
SUMMER HOUSING APPLICATIONS
NOW BEING ACCEPTED!
Nightly rate $16.25
604-932-4706
or email mark.munn@fairmont.com

Last edited:

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that mate, but for the life of me, still can't find the ad. I've tried googling 'Fairmont Housing' and all that's coming up is Fairmont Chateau which is $250/night! Would you be able to put up the email address so I can get in contact with them?

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Ah well they were 2 hours late picking us up from the bus stop, we were spoken to only according to what bike we rode, in the so called workshop half the tools were missing the other half was broken, the kitchen had no utensils to cook with, our sheets were stained and dirty, I had to fix the toilet when we got there, no locks on our doors and room had rubbish on the floors, the shower was filthy and had used razor blades on the floor, tv in our room didn't not work, no internet (even thought they told us there was) and when we confronted them about it nothing was offered to be done so we left and found other accommodation (which was much better) and now they have refused to refund is any money and have since stopped replying to emails. So yeah

Jesus, sounds like a place I stayed at in London.

Waited for a good 10-15 minutes for them to open the door after I buzzed it, than when we finally got our room number we went up but couldn't find the room due to the cluster fuck of the place was, basically I believe it was extended and made bigger very poorly as, as you went up the stairs it narrowed up, than you had doors and hallways to navigate through, an actual death trap if a fire broke out as well, than we got to the room and it was horrible, the door swung into the fridge, the TV's didn't work and the beds from memory weren't made and the pillows were dirty, the toilet seat was loose and the shower had a used shaver in it, it was near Paddington street Station I think it was, and the area was a party zone, so lots of noisy chavs making too much noise during the night, the street was noisy,

After one night, we didn't want to return, so after we did our sight seeing we just walked along the street where the parks are and that night we got a room in a nice Hotel ran by a friendly Eastern European family that was a 2 minute walk from one of the stations, I forget which and right across the road from Hyde park? or one of those parks..

jazza_wil

Likes Dirt
Thanks for that mate, but for the life of me, still can't find the ad. I've tried googling 'Fairmont Housing' and all that's coming up is Fairmont Chateau which is $250/night! Would you be able to put up the email address so I can get in contact with them?
Forgot the last most important part! Just added it

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
I guess I could walk down the street from work and just ask them but its easier if someone else does it, and I have my own place here anyway so I don't really care
Yeah, no worries. Thanks again for the info.

For the Whistler vets out there: how many days in a row do you normally downhill?

My fitness is average-to-good and was thinking I'd be pretty beat up after 2 consecutive days and would need a day off from the bike. Just trying to plan some stuff to do on the non-ride days.

Skydome

Yeah, no worries. Thanks again for the info.

For the Whistler vets out there: how many days in a row do you normally downhill?

My fitness is average-to-good and was thinking I'd be pretty beat up after 2 consecutive days and would need a day off from the bike. Just trying to plan some stuff to do on the non-ride days.
Every single day just about.

When I went there rode every day from when the lift opened to about 3:30-4:30pm, than in the last few days of riding I upped that up from the lift opening time to about 5-6 than on the last day started at 11am and went to 7:30 or 8pm I think it was, I'd have to check but it was when they closed the lift super late.

If you're going there for a week or something I'd highly advise get there at lift open times than ride to about 3-4pm that gives you a good amount of time to check the trails out and ride most trails a few times each day.

I reckon a good starting point for riding when you get there if you haven't been is

1-2- B-Line runs to warm up

1-2 - Crank it up runs

2-3- A- Line runs

Than should be lunch after that, and than the second lift should be open than you can do

2-3 Blue Velvet runs

2-3- Freight Train runs

2-3- Angry Pirate runs

1-2- Crab Apple hits runs

And if you got a ticket for it, either do Top Of The world before your Blue Velvet runs ONLY if the weather is GOOD, if it's cloudy don't bother, the view is sick on Top of the world..

As for stuff to do on non ride days, check out the Olympic village and head into Squarmish and watch the guys do wind surfing at the heads there, it's really cool watching them but when you go there just watch out as it get very windy there..

BONUS INFO: If the line for the main lift looks too long for your liking, you can hop on the cable car lift to try and speed things up a bit.

Last edited:

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm pretty certain i'll be staying in staff accom between july 22nd and september 2nd when i'm in whistler (it's open to anyone in summer). Is anyone else heading over between these times and thinking about staff accom?

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I'm going over to do Camp of Champions Camp C, July 13 - July 20 this year.
I'll be going Air Canada direct Sydney-Vancouver, followed by transfer (inc in the camp). One-way is AUD1420. Carrying the bike will cost me CAD50+CAD20 for the extra bag (so 1 checked bag + 1 bike box will cost me CAD70).

Contemplating staying in Whistler for a few extra days after the camp, but wondering if i'll be in any shape to do that, and how many days I could cope with. The camp has 6 consecutive days on the mountain, and I usually top out after 3 days at Thredbo.
Anyone give me some advice how much more taxing Whistler is compared with Thredbo? Would it be worth my while staying a few extra days after the camp, or would it be a waste because I'll be spent?

Following Whistler, I'm going back to Vancouver to have a look around, and possibly down to the US for a few days to a week to top off the holiday (never been out of the country until the start of this year, may as well make the most of it).
This means I'll be shipping my bike home via post or something. Any advice

Skydome

I'm going over to do Camp of Champions Camp C, July 13 - July 20 this year.
I'll be going Air Canada direct Sydney-Vancouver, followed by transfer (inc in the camp). One-way is AUD1420. Carrying the bike will cost me CAD50+CAD20 for the extra bag (so 1 checked bag + 1 bike box will cost me CAD70).

Contemplating staying in Whistler for a few extra days after the camp, but wondering if i'll be in any shape to do that, and how many days I could cope with. The camp has 6 consecutive days on the mountain, and I usually top out after 3 days at Thredbo.
Anyone give me some advice how much more taxing Whistler is compared with Thredbo? Would it be worth my while staying a few extra days after the camp, or would it be a waste because I'll be spent?

Following Whistler, I'm going back to Vancouver to have a look around, and possibly down to the US for a few days to a week to top off the holiday (never been out of the country until the start of this year, may as well make the most of it).
This means I'll be shipping my bike home via post or something. Any advice
I don't know what your fitness is like or the details of what tracks the camp will be mostly using.

I'd say it's probably worth staying a few days at least to make sure everything you learnt has stuck with you and do the top of the world track, take 3 extra days if you can and have one day as a rest day after the camp finishes up than hit the track again.

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It's rough at the start. After the first few days my hands were wrecked and I could barely hang onto the bars. Best thing I did was head straight to the chemist and buy some pretty strong painkillers. I smashed those in the morning before riding, and later on if needed and it made a night and day difference! Could happily do runs all day. Both times I was there it took about 1.5-2 weeks for my hands to adapt so I could smash runs all day without painkillers.

I'd definitely stay a few extra days. That way you can explore and ride the tracks you might not get to ride during the camp.