Whistler 2014!!

whiteman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Both times I've gone I just went with Pacific Coach. Once you walk out of the gate in Vancouver airport they have a little kiosk where you can book. They go from the airport to pretty much the centre of the village. Plus the bus' have free Wi-Fi!

Getting a Greyhound or similar is a huge pain as you'll have to catch the Sky Train thing into Van. Can't imagine it'd be too fun dragging your luggage/bike box to potentially save a couple of bucks.

slowmick

38-39"
I used to Pacific Coach to get there and greyhound to get back. as Whiteman says Pacific Coach is right in the Airport. just a bit of a walk to the far end of the terminals.

There are two trains, a lot of stairs and a lot of walking if you choose the greyhound route. not the way to start your holiday but i guess you might not care at the end. i wouldn't want to be dragging a bike though - it would be a pain in the balls.

zids

Likes Dirt
hey guys I'm super keen to get to whistler this season but have yet to start saving :/
Questions:
1. at what point does riding in whistler become undesirable due to the weather turning shitty?
2. how much would a month in whistler (all costs inclusive) roughly cost? what would be the absolute minimum amount of money needed?
3. if i were to embark on a motor home adventure from the US into whistler would i be able to drive it into whistler and leave it somewhere while i ride?

and help would be cheers!

Ryan

Radministrator
hey guys I'm super keen to get to whistler this season but have yet to start saving :/
Questions:
1. at what point does riding in whistler become undesirable due to the weather turning shitty?
2. how much would a month in whistler (all costs inclusive) roughly cost? what would be the absolute minimum amount of money needed?
3. if i were to embark on a motor home adventure from the US into whistler would i be able to drive it into whistler and leave it somewhere while i ride?

and help would be cheers!
1. September is the swing month. The last two Septembers have been absolutely glorious but could also easily be extremely dreary, wet and unpleasant.

2. Depends how much you want to want to rough it. Could do a months accommodation in Brio staff housing for $700 (get some of that back as it includes damage deposit), cook for yourself and drink cheap beer for $20-30 a day.

3. Really depends again. At staff housing you could just park it there for the month for an extra $25, most hotels it would be a no go. There are various 'Whistler' communities on facebook where you could beg for a parking spot for a month and probably find one.

lmcalps

Squid
My partner and I stayed the first two months at a condo at North Star (across from IGA market plaza). it was amazing - and had plenty of room for bikes, kitchen etc. If you can share with a couple mates it's worth while. We then stayed the last few weeks at staff accommodation - it was easier to get a room since the season was ending...but quality not very nice.

Heard heaps of amazing things about the trail riding in Squamish...definitely worth a few days of exploring.
Apparently there is a new bike park in the Sunshine Coast...another great place to check out. I wish we had more time to do trips..have fun!

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Zids if you're gonna go RV'ing into the U.S you're probably better off just using your RV as your accommodation and getting sites with no power as it is cheaper (If you can cope with no power)

Where abouts in the states do you think you'd go to? When I went to Whistler I had 2 weeks I think it was, in the states while we waited for the parks to open in Canada, and hit some parks in big sky country aka Montana, but if you're not careful, you'll keep finding bike parks to ride at, and than your Canada trip fast turns into a U.S trip lol.

As to how much you would saved up minimum, I'd say 5k for things like staying at camp sites, food, or mechanical repairs, maybe 10k to make sure you are comfortable, last thing you want is to run out of money...

PROTIP; If you drive like, I think from memory, it was 30 minutes or so down the road, to Pemberton, there's state forest with un-powered camping, cheaper I believe, than the un-powered sites at RV parks (Because it didn't have water or dump stations, from memory)

Last edited:

valium

Likes Dirt
Looking forward to this northern summer. Have a wedding to attend in Portland followed by a visiting family and friends in the PNW and South West. Have secured a pass for 2 days riding in Whistler and then another two a few weeks later down at Angle Fire in NM. Never been to NM so looking forward to that even more than whistles.

zids

Likes Dirt
Thanks a lot for the tips guys! I'll be tossing up between an rv and the cheap accommodation while I save up some dollars. Also, gonna have to put a bit of thought into either taking my bike over or selling and re purchasing when I get there. Decisions decisions!

backdoor

Likes Bikes
Thanks a lot for the tips guys! I'll be tossing up between an rv and the cheap accommodation while I save up some dollars. Also, gonna have to put a bit of thought into either taking my bike over or selling and re purchasing when I get there. Decisions decisions!
There's free RV/Camper parking in Lot 4/5 in the village. This isn't for camping though, just for parking the vehicle up. But in saying that you see a few people crashed out in their cars here. I've had a buddy spend a night in his big camper he'd hired without getting hassled by by RCMP. No power, water or shitters though.

There's a campsite at Nairn Falls near Pemby with drinking water n toilets.

Rode Coast Gravity Park last week. worth a trip to the coast, fkn insane trails

Kizzmtbr

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm looking at flights at the moment and I am considering the possibility of travelling elsewhere (either Quebec or California).

Has anyone done anything similar and how did you go about travelling with your bike? Did you find somewhere to store it? I imagine that sending my bike back to Australia would be pretty expensive and not worthwhile.

scuba05

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at flights at the moment and I am considering the possibility of travelling elsewhere (either Quebec or California).

Has anyone done anything similar and how did you go about travelling with your bike? Did you find somewhere to store it? I imagine that sending my bike back to Australia would be pretty expensive and not worthwhile.
I'm going over to Whistler for 9 days on the mountain, followed by some time in Vancouver and then Contiki in SW USA (LA, Vegas etc.). I am going to be flying my bike down to LA, then storing it with these guys. USD12 a day, which could add up depending on how long you are going elsewhere for. I am doing about 10 days in the US, but posting me DH bike home semi-assembled (front wheel & handlebars off) is about $900 via air, and fully disassembled (removing rear triangle as well) would be around $450-$500 i think. You send it home via sea, but I got a bit confused and it looks like a bit of effort to organise.

Long story short, there are 3 realistic options.
1) Don't take your bike, and hire one instead. Can get a bit expensive (depending on time in the park), and you might spend the better part of a day setting things up how you want and getting used to a bike.
2) Take your bike, but don't go anywhere afterwards. Probably not an option given you asked the question.
3) Take your bike, store it somewhere, do your travelling, then go back and pick it up on the way home. LAX is a good hub to do this (number of flights to AUS go through here), although may get expensive depending on length of stay etc.

Don't forget that you have to factor in getting you're bike around with excess baggage etc. Can add up a bit.

binner

Hath shat hymself
I'm going over to Whistler for 9 days on the mountain, followed by some time in Vancouver and then Contiki in SW USA (LA, Vegas etc.). I am going to be flying my bike down to LA, then storing it with these guys. USD12 a day, which could add up depending on how long you are going elsewhere for. I am doing about 10 days in the US, but posting me DH bike home semi-assembled (front wheel & handlebars off) is about $900 via air, and fully disassembled (removing rear triangle as well) would be around $450-$500 i think. You send it home via sea, but I got a bit confused and it looks like a bit of effort to organise.

Long story short, there are 3 realistic options.
1) Don't take your bike, and hire one instead. Can get a bit expensive (depending on time in the park), and you might spend the better part of a day setting things up how you want and getting used to a bike.
2) Take your bike, but don't go anywhere afterwards. Probably not an option given you asked the question.
3) Take your bike, store it somewhere, do your travelling, then go back and pick it up on the way home. LAX is a good hub to do this (number of flights to AUS go through here), although may get expensive depending on length of stay etc.

Don't forget that you have to factor in getting you're bike around with excess baggage etc. Can add up a bit.
mate for 9 days you would be better to hire a bike, you get the newest of pretty much any bike over there and its kinda like doing bike tests.....no bag to carry around, no bike to worry about if its going to be there when you get back, so much easier for a short time

srsbsns

Likes Bikes
Will be there for most of July, with a bud for the first 2 weeks then solo. I'll have to do beers/laps with some of you guys!

frostty74

Likes Dirt
Will be there for Crankworks before heading up to the Yukon to do some riding. Hopefully the trails aren't too crazy in Whistler so I can get some laps in.
Staying in the village for CW.

zids

Likes Dirt
does anyone have experience being over there in september? id love to get there earlier but just wont have the money till sep. is it worth waiting for another season or is it awesome anyway?

JONO WADE

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was over there until late august last year and will be there until early september this year. The bike park is open all over september so I don't see why it wouldn't be great.

Also, is anybody else staying staff accom? I'll be there from late july until early september.

^dave

Likes Bikes
does anyone have experience being over there in september? id love to get there earlier but just wont have the money till sep. is it worth waiting for another season or is it awesome anyway?
September in my opinion is the best time to go. You can save lots on an end of season pass, and school holidays have finished so the trails are deserted. It's also nice and cool so you can do laps all day long. Just make sure you're going for at least a couple of weeks, because you will probably lose a few days to bad weather.