Whistler Bike Park Guide job

buffy

Likes Dirt
so anyone work as a guide before? was it rewarding? i dont care much for money because im pretty financially secure.
thoughts?

craigjones

Likes Bikes
Never done it before, but if I had the chance I would love to do it. If you love the outdoors, love riding your bike and are not worried about what the pay is like, then Id be organising it for next summer.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
From what I've heard it's a bit tough for the first couple of seasons, gotta work your way up and build a reputation. But if you're based in Sydney, go have a chat to the new mechanic at Manly Cycles - he's been in the guiding game over there for a while.

Not sure if it's changed lately, but up until few years back one of my buddies took a guide job each year just for the uniform and season pass (and otherwise did little or no guiding).

Culley

Likes Dirt
so anyone work as a guide before? was it rewarding? i dont care much for money because im pretty financially secure.
thoughts?
i worked in whistler and did both summer and winter seasons, i worked on the mountain not as a guide, just did maintanace stuff

i highly recomend going there and doing a summer so much fun
your right about the ca$h, its shit house and whistler is by far the most expensive town in canada but its a blast

my buddy is a hiking mountain guide and he didnt need any qualifications he just is a very out going person and they gave hime the job, but he does not work for whistler blackcomb just a private company

do it man

beardi

Likes Dirt
I'm of the opinion that night work is the way to go. The biggest problem with jobs on the mountain is that you're working when the bike park (or ski lifts) are open. Yeah you'll be riding, but with 1st day riders down easy does it. Work at night and ride what you want during the day.....way more rewarding!

sedifus

Likes Dirt
i worked in whistler and did both summer and winter seasons, i worked on the mountain not as a guide, just did maintanace stuff

i highly recomend going there and doing a summer so much fun
your right about the ca$h, its shit house and whistler is by far the most expensive town in canada but its a blast

my buddy is a hiking mountain guide and he didnt need any qualifications he just is a very out going person and they gave hime the job, but he does not work for whistler blackcomb just a private company

do it man
Hey Culley,

I'm thinking of doing the same sort of thing and heading over there this coming season. Mechanic myself so i am thinking possibly that's the way to go if not just saving a load.
How easy/hard was it to get work and what sort of hours did you work in comparison to riding time? Could you break even on accommodation by working 3 days a week or something similar?

buffy

Likes Dirt
well i already spent 3 months riding there this summer while working online.
im not interested in random jobs, im only interested in being a guide as i enjoy being on my bike and might as well get paid for it.