Whistler-bike storage, hostels vs hotels

mtb180

Squid
I'm looking at heading over around July next year for a month and keen to know if anyone has recommendations on places to stay that have good secure storage. At the moment I'm headed over solo so I'd prefer a hostel so it'd be easier to meet other people to ride with but I have heard of all the bike theft horror stories.

GOD12A

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

I'm also planning ~3wks in Whistler from end of July 2016.
Looking at 1wk Summer Gravity Camp (SGC) + 2wks riding.
Was looking to stay in SGC accommodation for the week then find my own/share a place for the remaining 2wks.
Cheap hotels run ~$2k for 2wks within a few hundred metres of the lifts, can also get something nice on AirBnB for similar.
Not looking to go full ghetto (hostels), but don't mind sharing.

PM me if you're in the area around that time.

Mark :)

treble

Likes Dirt
Pretty much anywhere you rent will have a 'secure' bike storage room in the parking garage of the building. These are by no means secure and bike theft is rampant in Whistler. A mate of mine had his bike stolen from the bike storage room in his building, they just go in during the night with an angle grinder or bolt cutters and clean the storage room out of any nice looking bikes. General rule of thumb, Bikes go on the balcony (if your above ground floor) or in the lounge room over night.

As for finding somewhere to stay, there is a Facebook group called 'Whistler Housing rentals for locals,' join and check it out. A lot of the long term locals leave Whistler in the summer and are looking for someone to sublet while they are away.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
I'm looking at heading over around July next year for a month and keen to know if anyone has recommendations on places to stay that have good secure storage. At the moment I'm headed over solo so I'd prefer a hostel so it'd be easier to meet other people to ride with but I have heard of all the bike theft horror stories.
Well, I was in Whistler for 3 weeks in 2014 and stayed in Southside Lodge (hostel in Creekside*). Stayed in a dorm room which had hooks to hang your bikes from and I took over my trusty Kryptonite D-Lock and locked the rear wheel to the frame for extra security. Having your bike in your room is probably as secure as you can get and even if you head out at night, at least someone should be keeping an eye out for suspicious people/activity.

rednightmare

Likes Dirt
Yeah thanks for the reply I'll look them up and book my first week there mate
Yeah, cool. Just be aware that Creekside is about a 15 min bus ride (or 4km) from the lifts. Buses go pretty regularly and have bike racks on the front of them if you're bringing your own bike so it's all good.

mtb180

Squid
I'm looking at buying one over there and shipping it back but 4km isn't even far. I might just book the first week there and have a chat to locals about somewhere closer too, either way I've got awhile to decide.

treble

Likes Dirt
Yeah, cool. Just be aware that Creekside is about a 15 min bus ride (or 4km) from the lifts. Buses go pretty regularly and have bike racks on the front of them if you're bringing your own bike so it's all good.
The gondola in creekside now operates to access the bike park, although It is on a more limited timetable than the main lifts in whistler Village. There are a handful of trials that run down to creekside now and they plan to expand over the coming seasons. So staying in Creekside might not be such a bad idea. Its pretty quiet (Dead) in summer though.