who has broken their collar bone riding?

nitrous to burn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A guy i know from the north shore did his and his shoulder by riding a shit bmx front wheel into a pot hole. He flipped over the bars straight onto it. Smashed it to peices then needed surgery and a shoulder reconstruction. No riding for 6 months. Hell heavy!
Tom.

Keirangiant

Likes Bikes
yeh

yeh broke mine down in thredbo, had to lots of sugery on it becasue the doctor put the wrong plate in on the first operation:mad::mad: but yeh its fixed now its about 2 weeks since the 2nd operation and yeh its drivin me insane!!! im in a sling for 6 weeks and then 3-4months no riding according to the surgeon

phil p.

Likes Dirt
Broke mine a few years back. They are a pretty common injury in mtb and are friggin painful and frustrating.

bam_six

Squid
Which track and where abouts?
haha nope, stupid actually...at the start of Travs diamond. at the very start where there is that small wooden table-top :eek: as much pain as i was in i couldnt stop laughin at it in the car to the hospital

i just hit it super hard and fast and tried to get some big air off of it. dont know why, was so dumb. Landed over the front wheel on flat past the down ramp and the front wheel skidded out and i went over the bars. the people who saw it said i fell pretty hard.
i wish i did it on B&G instead. cos i was planning on trying that drop that day and also the road gap. but i had to crash on my 3rd run for the morning!:mad:
and the xc guy did it the week before on the step down before the left hander berm near the bottom of cressys

slow_xc_racer

Likes Bikes
Broke my left one 8 years ago. Smashed it into 5 pieces the bone literally exploded. No pins or plates surgeon said it was best to let it heal naturally. Had surgery 8 mths after accident to re-shape the collar bone. I was off the bike for around 9 months, off work for 5 1/2 months. I have just had the shoulder operated on again to give it good clean up ( cut the end of the collar bone off from my A/C joint)
Just do as your surgeon and physio tells you and unfortunatly that will mean no riding for a while .hrow a drop sheet over your bikes so you can't see them.
That is almost identical to mine. The collar bone became 5 bits. The surgeon said I had to wait as he wasnt sure he could pin the bones due to their state. It is 18months later and I have has nothing but trouble.... It seems my surgeon was a tool. I should have had major reconstructive surgery. I broke 3 ribs, fractured 2 vertebrae, snapped the shoulder blade in half and dislocated my shoulder. Now my right side is 4cm lower and 3cm narrower. All in all very painful and ever lingering.
My advice. If you think your doctor may be wrong, ask for a 2nd opinion.

bam_six

Squid
My advice. If you think your doctor may be wrong, ask for a 2nd opinion.
I agree 100%, the emergency ward I was first in said to wait a week to hear back from St Vincents and they mite ask me in for a check up. Wasnt happy with this, so went to another doctor, and he said yeh just leave it in a sling as is. didnt seem right as the bone was pushin through (not breaking) the skin. So got another opion and then refered onto the surgeon.
Turns out lucky I did because ended up being a lot worse than the xrays showed. I would have no doubt had troubes like you slow_xc in the future and need surgery anyway.

Another person with a shoulder blade in two pieces! When they said I had that happen I couldnt work out how i managed it!

lach92

Likes Bikes
yeah best to get a second opinion.
i popped my collar bone out on the inside where it connects near my neck but the doctor told me i ruptured it on the other side where my shoulder is so always best to get a second opinion. Like my collar bone hasn't healed back into place but apparently thats normal so i don't know i spose ill just get to live with it lol

cameron_15

Eats Squid
Well, Great news for me!

Today, 39 days since my surgery, 67 days since the stack, my doctor has given me the all clear to do whatever i want. There is no visible fracture line on my bone at the moment which is great. He said it's one of the most aggressive healings he has seen in a while, Usually taking about 3 months to get to the stage I'm out now.

Also, I have a few wicked X-rays for the photo albums. I may post them up tomorrow if i can be bothered scanning them:)

Anyway, I'm STOKED! Going to buller for Easter now:cool:

slow_xc_racer

Likes Bikes
Another person with a shoulder blade in two pieces! When they said I had that happen I couldnt work out how i managed it!
I had bone density scans shortly after as it is so rare to break a scapula. my bones density is fine, the impact obviously wasnt. The people i spoke to said it is so hard to crack the scapula that the force required to actually break it cleanly is so considerable that people don't usually live through the impact. We are obviously harder bastards than most! :D