Who has ridden Giant trance advance 27.5 2 ?

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Thinking of buying one but after some input from people who have ridden one. I am a bit concerned about the carbon part how strong are they ?

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
You need not worry, a mass produced frame like that and a brand name like Giant will not be something you need to worry about. For the riding you'd do on this bike as it is intended and even a little beyond, you wouldn't need to worry about busting it. I'm also pretty sure that Giant have a lifetime warranty on their frames too, that's confidence. ;)

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
Thinking of buying one but after some input from people who have ridden one. I am a bit concerned about the carbon part how strong are they ?
I have a 2012 Trance Advanced that gets ridden off road in very rocky terrain at least twice a week and is still going strong. Nothing to worry about.

Giant give a lifetime warranty on the frame and their warranty service is second to none.

Golfpunk

Cannon Fodder
I have this bike! Have had zero issue's so far, but I've only done 150 km's on it before I injured myself.
Word of advice - ditch the grips and tyres ASAP, I got a huge discount on these items at the time of purchase and they put them on for free.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
I have a trance 1 and it is great, it's not the advanced but I would recommend it as a do-all type bike.

I have read so many different reviews on the Nicks.. I don't mind them.. they don't roll that fast but grip well.

Nick

swaz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have seen some ally bikes with scrapes and one with a massive ding on the down tube near the BB. I would be adding some protection there.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Ditching Nobby Nics is a pretty dumb thing to do.....
Not sure if serious?

I had them for about a month when I got my trance. Apart from the 3 pinch flats I got (even high PSI) they were rubbish for grip, probably one of the worst tyres I have ridden.

EDIT* I should clarify, on Sydney trails. Dry, dusty, rocky etc.

AzonicNick

Likes Dirt
Not sure if serious?

I had them for about a month when I got my trance. Apart from the 3 pinch flats I got (even high PSI) they were rubbish for grip, probably one of the worst tyres I have ridden.

What have you replaced them with? A mate with a Trance isn't happy with them and rides just that type of trail..

Maybe I don't know any better but I struggle a bit when it comes to choice.. so many out there

willsy01

Eats Squid
Not sure if serious?

I had them on my Trance (with real wheels......26") and they stuck like shit to a blanket. On Sydney trails.

*shrugs*

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
What have you replaced them with? A mate with a Trance isn't happy with them and rides just that type of trail..

Maybe I don't know any better but I struggle a bit when it comes to choice.. so many out there
I went for High Roller 2's, tubeless. Couldn't be happier with them!

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
You need not worry, a mass produced frame like that and a brand name like Giant will not be something you need to worry about. For the riding you'd do on this bike as it is intended and even a little beyond, you wouldn't need to worry about busting it. I'm also pretty sure that Giant have a lifetime warranty on their frames too, that's confidence. ;)
Cool I am just a bit confused as to its intended use because i have read some info that states that it great for gravity enduro then others say it is a great trail bike . I just want to make sure that i can use it as i want to jumps and going through rock gardens it needs to handle a bit of abuse .

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I have this bike! Have had zero issue's so far, but I've only done 150 km's on it before I injured myself.
Word of advice - ditch the grips and tyres ASAP, I got a huge discount on these items at the time of purchase and they put them on for free.
What would you say your riding style is are you calm and safe or nuts and dangerous ? I am more on the nuts and dangerous side of things i use my current all mountain bike more like a DH bike .

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
I have a 2012 Trance Advanced that gets ridden off road in very rocky terrain at least twice a week and is still going strong. Nothing to worry about.

Giant give a lifetime warranty on the frame and their warranty service is second to none.

So it can handle jumps and rough treatment ? It will be my first carbon bike and i don't want to pay a load for it and then snap it in half .

Golfpunk

Cannon Fodder
What would you say your riding style is are you calm and safe or nuts and dangerous ? I am more on the nuts and dangerous side of things i use my current all mountain bike more like a DH bike .
Pretty safe at the moment (just got back on the bike in october after many years off), I have done some shuttle runs though and was wanting more travel up front.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It's not a downhill bike, don't ride it as a downhill bike. It is a trail bike (all mountain, enduro etc) and is good for light downhill minus the big hits that downhill frames and parts are made to handle.
The Advanced 2 frame will not fail on a trail unless it takes a massive force to the carbon from the side of the frame by a rock, a tree or whatever you were unfortunate enough to hit. There's a good chance that you'll inspect your bike once you're out of surgery if you manage to break the carbon, they are very well built.
Don't push it as a downhill bike just because it has dual suspension. Don't ride it that hard that you bottom the forks and shock out, that's gradually a way to ruin your bike and cost you tons in parts. If you want to ride downhill................buy a downhill bike but work up to it, downhill isn't meant to be a discipline a newcomer can walk up to and be great at it. You need to work up to it and hone your trail skills and reaction times first.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Pretty safe at the moment (just got back on the bike in october after many years off), I have done some shuttle runs though and was wanting more travel up front.
I have seen many pictures of carbon bikes snapped behind the forks and as i am an aggressive rider on down hill sections and will try and catch as much air as i can it makes me nervous .

vtwiz

Likes Dirt
So it can handle jumps and rough treatment ? It will be my first carbon bike and i don't want to pay a load for it and then snap it in half .
Yeah it can handle the rough stuff that trail riding/'all mountain' riding can throw at it. In terms of jumps, what size are you thinking? As has been said its not a DH bike, ride it for what it was intended to be ridden for. The better (smoother) you are as a rider, the bigger the jumps it will be able to handle I suppose.

Its common knowledge that the standard Nobby Nics (non snakeskin) that the Giants come with are rubbish. They grip well enough but the sidewalls are too thin, they squirm in hard cornering and get sidewall punctures really easily. If you run the Snakeskin versions you're ok.