Who has switched 29er from 51mm to 44mm offset

goobags

Likes Dirt
They all go on about stability at speed, but what about slow speed climbing and tight switchbacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
They all go on about stability at speed, but what about slow speed climbing and tight switchbacks?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isn't slow speed handling and switchbacks more about balance and applying power at the right time rather than the offset of your fork?

Obviously if you are increasing travel that will change how much weight is on the front but that can be negated with dropping spacers or reducing bar rise but offset imo doesn't change climbing feel or at least if it does you adapt to the tiny change immediately.

Or pedal faster so you can continue to enjoy the stability at speed but uphill.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I did the change (some fork, same travel) on a 27.5" bike. Sometimes (not often) it feels like the front tyre has slightly more weight on it when climbing, but it's partly because the offset change is similar to running a 7mm longer stem, and more weight on the front tyre when climbing generally isn't a bad thing IMO.

I reckon you can tell the difference when descending, and agree with kten's comments below:
I find it understeers much less easily as it reduces the tendency of diving into a corner. This could also be negated with a different riding style but for me I prefer to have to be more assertive with the bars than having it dart around on what feels like a edge.
To me it's not so much that it makes the bike "more stable" in a straight line (it does feel like it assists at speed, but so does holding the bars straight on a conventional offset fork, lol), but reduces twitchiness and that 'on-edge' feeling mid-corner. I have read that the reduced offset forks can get knocked off line in rock gardens a bit more, but can neither confirm or deny this because I am the limiting factor in my bike's perfomance through rock gardens! :p

The only weird/negative thing I did notice changing to the reduced offset fork is when you stop to take a breather and take your hands off the bars and sit back, the bars always want to spin around to a 90deg position, rather than just turning slightly to 30-45deg. Haha, it sounds petty but it's bloody annoying!

I probably marginally prefer the reduced offset at average trail speeds/high speed, but really it's easiest just to think of normal offset as having a fast reaction to steering input, and reduced offset as slow reacting. It won't change what you can/can't ride (sadly!).

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Gravel roadie but I went from 45 to 52mm offset and the difference is day and night. Steers like a dream at speed but low speed it's pretty unstable, moved to 52mm offset and it wound it back a bit.

On a mtb, I don't think it makes that much difference as the suspension movement changes the geometry naturally. When you're climbing or descending the frame and fork geometry is constantly changing.

komdotkom

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The only weird/negative thing I did notice changing to the reduced offset fork is when you stop to take a breather and take your hands off the bars and sit back, the bars always want to spin around to a 90deg position, rather than just turning slightly to 30-45deg. Haha, it sounds petty but it's bloody annoying!
Totally agree, this is a real pain. Aside from that I can't tell the difference between the two.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
Read thread, seems the difference is bugger all.
So going from 44mm to 51mm offset fork I am not going to notice a difference?

beeb

Read thread, seems the difference is bugger all.
So going from 44mm to 51mm offset fork I am not going to notice a difference?
You will surely die. But you won't know why...

To be honest, it depends a lot on head angle. The difference in offset is probably more noticeable the steeper the HA (IMO). Rough guess, 67deg or slacker and either would be fine, steeper than 67, I'd personally try to stick with the 51mm offset.

Art Vanderlay

Hourly daily
You will surely die. But you won't know why...

To be honest, it depends a lot on head angle. The difference in offset is probably more noticeable the steeper the HA (IMO). Rough guess, 67deg or slacker and either would be fine, steeper than 67, I'd personally try to stick with the 51mm offset.
Currently have a 44mm offset fork on 69 deg HA (canyon exceed). So I would be better off with a 51mm offset fork?

beeb

Currently have a 44mm offset fork on 69 deg HA (canyon exceed). So I would be better off with a 51mm offset fork?
Some people will say no, I would say (somewhat) yes. I find the self-centering effect a bit exaggerated with the 44mm offset and steep HA's. I wouldn't bother buying another fork just to change it, but if you want to buy another fork anyway and it's only available in 51mm I don't think it's going to be a disadvantage on a steep HA bike. Just IMO though, and factored into my thinking is that if I was riding a bike with a 69deg HA - I wouldn't be riding it down rocky black-diamond trails where the 44mm offset might be an advantage, and would instead be focusing on getting a bike that steep to feel "pointy" and responsive.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I'd say yes too. My Supercaliber was designed around 44mm but my 51mm fork was transferred from the Procaliber. I've never ridden a Super with the correct offset so I have no actual comparison, but back to back sometimes the SC is a little wriggly mid corner, the turn in on flat corners is delightful though.