Who here thinks 6" singlecrown forks are retarded?

belly_up

Likes Dirt
If Cannondale can make a single sided fork that doesn't snap at the axle, then i don't see why it's impossible to make long travel SC forks. Should be a piece of piss really. Of course when Cannodale made the lefty they had about the biggest R&D budget in the cycling world...

Dan

Likes Dirt
somewhere they said their aimed at the 'light DH/female market'. :S put my vote in for snapping them. go DC!!!!

Ryan

Radministrator
I don't have a problem with them, after hearing how much love those 7' SC forks were given by Dave Weagle, (who undoubtedly knows his shit back to front) a few months ago, I have faith that they are a viable product.
Nice to see people are saying they'll snap without having ever seen, ridden, or been within coo-ee of a pair, don't knock em til you ride em people, thats for nsmb.com not our forum please.

belly_up

Likes Dirt
give an egineer enough money and they'll do it. you won't be able to afford one of course, it'll cost as much a space shuttle, but it's not impossible. Of course you would have to wonder what the point would be...

peachy

Ripe 'n ready!
those forks look really sick, wouldn't mind a pair... i wonder how much they cost :)
when they commin out?

CHEWY

Eats Squid
is that actually a production for... or someone just stuffing aound with internals and shit... i know i havnt ridden them but i dont think id trust them racing dh or going hell fast

S.

ex offender
Well they'd be light as for racing... I imagine we'll be seeing a few riders on em in the future.

Adi

It's my birthday!
If they work I am fine with it. Dunno about them on a HT... :?

P.S. Welcome to the boards Dan!

wombat

Lives in a hole
belly_up said:
If Cannondale can make a single sided fork that doesn't snap at the axle, then i don't see why it's impossible to make long travel SC forks. Should be a piece of piss really. Of course when Cannodale made the lefty they had about the biggest R&D budget in the cycling world...
Intersting point, but probably not really a fair comparison.

As far as the 7" SC, horses for courses. For your average trail rider who just wants some extra cush and control, great, but you'd have to be crazy to think that they're a fork built for big drops etc. I'm not trying to undermine the cred of the engineers, I don't have the knowledge to do that, but if people are snapping 5" bombers (which they are) then increasing the the amount of leverage placed on a similar crown isnt going to solve the problem. If they are strong enough, brillant, at least we shouldnt see too many 5"s breaking, but don't get sucked in by the hype.

S.

ex offender
wombat said:
belly_up said:
Intersting point, but probably not really a fair comparison.

As far as the 7" SC, horses for courses. For your average trail rider who just wants some extra cush and control, great, but you'd have to be crazy to think that they're a fork built for big drops etc. I'm not trying to undermine the cred of the engineers, I don't have the knowledge to do that, but if people are snapping 5" bombers (which they are) then increasing the the amount of leverage placed on a similar crown isnt going to solve the problem. If they are strong enough, brillant, at least we shouldnt see too many 5"s breaking, but don't get sucked in by the hype.
It isn't really a fair comparison I agree, but it does show that what some people consider "impossible" can actually be done safely.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
its all well and good but arent like the 6" SC forks
practically the weight of equivalent DC forks
from what ive read the Z150 is only a few hundred grams lighter then the Super T dunno the weights of the 6" sherman compared to the slider

I just think if you want the extra travel go DC, i really dont see the point (ok i see one point only you can do full x ups and want extra travel ) but hey if it works why not like someone already said we had a lefty

but dont come crying home when you case a jump or land very nose heavy on a drop that your 6' or 7' SC fork snapped

belly_up

Likes Dirt
Most engineering problems, especially ones like this that are straight out materials / design problems, (as opposed to problems requireing the development of new technology) can be solved with a big enough budget. The only problem is that it's expensive, and consumers will only pay so much for a product. Especially products requiring high r&d effort, and low sales volume.
I'd say the reasons that bombers have problems with crowns (assuming they do, i don't know anything about that problem) is purely cost based.
And new technology is always appearing even for old processes. For example, metal casting has been around since man started working metal, and is one of the most basic metalworking processes we have, and yet just this year, some of the big japanese motorbike manufacturers have developed a new casting process that allows them to achieve much thinner wall thickness, and less casting defects than was previously possible, leading to increased stiffness and strength, with less weight. It's not directly applicable to the forks we're talking about it (although it has potential for monocoque frames), but it demonstrates that things are always advancing. This years bombers may snap, next years may not. You only have to look at the past to see that all the limits that people said would never be broken, have been, and easily. ("no bike will ever have more than 6in travel" anyone?".)

I think i must be up to about a dollar in 2c pieces tonight,

Belly_up

zen_rider

Likes Dirt
i dont think its fair comparing normal 5" forks to these suckers.

anyone notice the 1.5" steerer tube????

i've read in dirt "you'll feel industructable with that thing up front" when they tested a 'rocky mountain switch' with shermans.

wombat

Lives in a hole
Well the issue of the 1.5 steerer is still open to debate, just look at marzoochi's stance. And a bike review conducted over a couple of days is far from the best indication of a product's worth.
The fact still stands that you are increasing the stress on the crown/stanchion junction by a very significant amount when you jump to a 7" travel fork, and I think it would take a pretty revolutionary production or design method to overcome the extra load, especially considering they're still using a forged aluminium crown. More metal in the right places will obviously help, but soon enough you're going to end up with something that weighs as much as a Boxxer and isn't half as stiff.

I'm not saying that they're completely stupid, they have their place, but it seems to me like the companies are getting into another "anything you can do i can do better" battle.