Who's using pinch flat protection

teK--

Eats Squid
This stuff

Cut it down to 55mm wide for rims with internal width of 27mm - 35mm. Cut some holes along the middle of the strip and scallop both edges to allow sealant migration. Should be a POP.
Nice;

I wonder how the thickness and density compares to the real deal?

anyone with a computerised cutter, i.e. signwriter etc could easily feed this through the machine and have all the necessary holes etc cut into it.

Refreshinglygood

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This stuff

Cut it down to 55mm wide for rims with internal width of 27mm - 35mm. Cut some holes along the middle of the strip and scallop both edges to allow sealant migration. Should be a POP.
Hmm. Interesting. Anything in sealant that would react with this stuff???

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Hmm. Interesting. Anything in sealant that would react with this stuff???
Wouldn't think so, it's a closed cell polyethylene foam, pretty stable stuff. Just not sure what sort of impact absorption qualities it will have? It may compress a little too easily.

JTmofo

XC Enthusiast
This stuff

I've not handled the "Huck Norris" stuff, but I would imagine it would have to way denser than this stuff.
Can't imagine that this would offer any protection of any sort, to anything.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong mind you..... so please post your results!

Boom King

I've not handled the "Huck Norris" stuff, but I would imagine it would have to way denser than this stuff.
Can't imagine that this would offer any protection of any sort, to anything.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong mind you..... so please post your results!
May have raised that question already.
Wouldn't think so, it's a closed cell polyethylene foam, pretty stable stuff. Just not sure what sort of impact absorption qualities it will have? It may compress a little too easily.

teK--

Eats Squid
Seldom am I to avoid making shit myself, but after all said and done... for $45 a wheel that is less than the cost of a tyre and also the cost of a rim should either be damaged by using an inferior material.

I would rather just get the real thing and save the trouble of a DIY mockup.

Boom King

Seldom am I to avoid making shit myself, but after all said and done... for $45 a wheel that is less than the cost of a tyre and also the cost of a rim should either be damaged by using an inferior material.

I would rather just get the real thing and save the trouble of a DIY mockup.
Not infallible it seems...

Z

Zaf

I'm looking into getting a Cushcore system for my bike, depending on success I may invest in one for my other bikes, does seem to be the best of these solutions I've seen too date, although it's expensive and shipping is ridiculously expensive for what it is also ($150USD +$50usd postage)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Nautonier

Eats Squid
I'm looking into getting a Cushcore system for my bike, depending on success I may invest in one for my other bikes, does seem to be the best of these solutions I've seen too date, although it's expensive and shipping is ridiculously expensive for what it is also ($150USD +$50usd postage)

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk
Damn you Zaf, more things to spend money on... This looks much better than Procore or Huck Norris - best of both worlds really! Can't see any weight specs though - I hope it's lighter than Procore. If I can get a solution that weighs less than my 1280g DHR wirebead DH casing I'll be happy.

Olie1584

Likes Dirt
Wish I was

First ride on a brand new Minion SS and she be rooted!
I did the same thing to my minion SS last year.

I managed to repair it and it was fine for another 6 months until the tread wore out.

A few drops of thin CA while squeezing it open and a piece of gaffer tape behind it. Hit it with some kicker while closing the gap as tight as possible and she was right as rain.

aanon

Likes Dirt
Concrete expansion joint foam
I was thinking the exact same thing, got a roll of it in the shed and it looks perfect for the job, I wonder if it would absorb sealant at the ends where it is cut, reckon I will test it first..

Z

Zaf

Damn you Zaf, more things to spend money on... This looks much better than Procore or Huck Norris - best of both worlds really! Can't see any weight specs though - I hope it's lighter than Procore. If I can get a solution that weighs less than my 1280g DHR wirebead DH casing I'll be happy.
I'll go get one bought and report back in several weeks. The Guinea pig of the people!!

TheAzza

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I bought a Huck Norris after stuffing a Flow Mk3 and chucked it in last night (rear only). The foam itself is much harder and more dense than any camping, yoga mat or expansion joint foam I have handled and I can see it working well until it has been compromised by a decent hit. I think two or three strikes in the same spot and you are out.
I had a ride on it last night with the rear at about 24psi, which is about 3psi lower than I would usually run, and it felt interestingly different to running the same psi without the foam. You can kind of feel when the foam starts to squeeze between the tyre/rim and the tyre feels supple, yet well supported. I am yet to hit anything rocky or gnarly, but I did hit several decent roots at speed (Fall Line for those who know Red Hill) which would normally result in a bit of a bang at 27ish psi and felt nothing.
Considering it cost me around $225.00 to replace the last rim I think $60.00 for one strip, shipped, is well worth it if it only saves my rim one time. I actually now wish i bought a pair so I could run one in the front too.

YMMV, just sayin'.

Nautonier

Eats Squid
And then there's this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mrwolfsolve/anti-flat-system-for-mtb-and-ebike-banger-by-mrwol

I've always thought with solutions like Cush Core why not just fill up the entire tire with foam? Well, Mr Wolf is on the case, with just a small amount of air to trim to rider weight. Personally I'd like to see multi-density foam involved, where it gets firmer closer to the rim. And perhaps no air at all, just different densities to suit rider weigth - ie equivalent to specific PSI.