why arent dh racers wearing gay skin tight suits?

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
In downhilling, there are no world records because tracks always vary, so taking tenths of a second off every rider who comes down the hill is really not that important - speed in downhilling is only important relative to those riders who are competing on the day. So whether everyone wears skinsuits or noone wears skinsuits really doesn't matter in terms of competition, but if everyone is banned from wearing skinsuits to provide a better image for the sport then I think that is great.
When it comes to providing an image for the sport for marketing or attracting new athletes, I think the current gear worn by racers provides the better image than skinsuits.

Just my 2c

morticus

Likes Dirt
In downhilling, there are no world records because tracks always vary, so taking tenths of a second off every rider who comes down the hill is really not that important - speed in downhilling is only important relative to those riders who are competing on the day. So whether everyone wears skinsuits or noone wears skinsuits really doesn't matter in terms of competition, but if everyone is banned from wearing skinsuits to provide a better image for the sport then I think that is great.
When it comes to providing an image for the sport for marketing or attracting new athletes, I think the current gear worn by racers provides the better image than skinsuits.

Just my 2c
Spot on brother.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I won't get scientific but it is obvious a skinsuit is lighter and will drag less than baggy clothes when you're motoring along. That isn't too hard to grasp and I say allow the top level racers to wear the stuff if they are looking for that extra bit of speed. Look at it this way; If they are gaining an extra 2km on the speedo in a section of trail where you doing 70km you'll be going quicker than the next guy and that means you're riding more hardcore then the guy you beat. If you win by > < that much then you gamble of looking like a Chinese swimmer has paid off.
When you think about it, skinsuits are probably more worthwhile for downhill racing than they are for cross country racing.

dwnhil4thewin

Likes Dirt
I won't get scientific but it is obvious a skinsuit is lighter and will drag less than baggy clothes when you're motoring along. That isn't too hard to grasp and I say allow the top level racers to wear the stuff if they are looking for that extra bit of speed. Look at it this way; If they are gaining an extra 2km on the speedo in a section of trail where you doing 70km you'll be going quicker than the next guy and that means you're riding more hardcore then the guy you beat. If you win by > < that much then you gamble of looking like a Chinese swimmer has paid off.
When you think about it, skinsuits are probably more worthwhile for downhill racing than they are for cross country racing.
If skinsuits are allowed to be used and therefore increase an athletes speed by > < that much, then everyone racing at the top level will wear them for the extra speed. But what then is the gain if every rider has increased their speed by > < that much? For example, a rider who would win by exactly 2 secs when everyone wears a standard race kit is still likely to win by exactly 2 secs if they all wear skinsuits because the whole field's speed would have increased by the same amount. Its all relative, and the only gain would be that all riders would then look like "Chinese swimmers".

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dhers arent wearing them because they were banned. Simple.

Remenber the efforts Trek went to in Aust to aero their bikes for Stromlo ? That research doesnt come cheap.They dont spend that sort of coin for the sake of it. It is because there are tangible gains to be had in aerodynamics.

Every sport when its against the clock vs the athlete should have the choice to give themselves every opportunity to go faster than the next person. Wind resistance is a factor on tracks that are more open and fast. When racing for WC every little bit helps.

The question needs to asked "are you brave enough?" :nono:

If skinsuits are allowed to be used and therefore increase an athletes speed by > < that much, then everyone racing at the top level will wear them for the extra speed. But what then is the gain if every rider has increased their speed by > < that much? For example, a rider who would win by exactly 2 secs when everyone wears a standard race kit is still likely to win by exactly 2 secs if they all wear skinsuits because the whole field's speed would have increased by the same amount. Its all relative, and the only gain would be that all riders would then look like "Chinese swimmers".
Furthermore, Downhill is in part financed by bike and clothing companies, who make money by showing off their bikes and gear on the pro circuit and then selling identical looking copies of said gear to the public.
If skin suits became dominant in the pro circuit, every pro rider would soon wear them - but most amateurs still would not because they would rather wear body armour (as opposed to lycra, which leaves you literally naked after the smallest crash). Amateurs might not care about the last .3s, they don't go fast enough for it to make a difference, they find skin suits uncomfortable, or they have a bit of a belly and would just look plain stupid in one.

As a result, the connection between the sponsored riders and the customers would be weakened, making it less attractive to sponsor DH for both clothing AND bike manufacturers.

Downhill racing is a business, and business decisions are required to keep it viable. Idealistic ideas about freedom of choice don't have much to do with it.

Last edited:

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I reckon skin suits look far less ghey then all the racer boy wannabes turning up to clubbies in their full racing kit. What ever happen to racing in jeans and a T shirt and starting out on a beat up hard tail?

Kids these days.....:spy:

jamballz

Likes Dirt

Just my 2c
Exactly right! The skinsuit advantage is irrelevant if everyone is using it. With such a small scope for technological advancements in skin suit tech for Dh, it's becomes purely an asthetics based argument. - *Insert personal preference here*

t, skinsuits are probably more worthwhile for downhill racing than they are for cross country racing.
The main advantage of tight lycra wear is it's abiltity to reduce heat and wick moisture, more so applicable to the slower speed XC racers.

I reckon skin suits look far less ghey then all the racer boy wannabes turning up to clubbies in their full racing kit. What ever happen to racing in jeans and a T shirt and starting out on a beat up hard tail?

Kids these days.....:spy:
Totes agreeballs, I always do admire someone wearing a skinsuit to a race as a laugh though......