Why did I bother? XX1 vs X01 cassette

Jeffgre_6163

Likes Dirt
I just replaced the X01 all black cassette on my bike with a new XX1
I dropped the extra $30 on the XX1 Over the OEM X01 because I believe in upgrading as bits wear out and thought it was a few grams lighter but I don't know why I bothered.
XX1 = 267 grams
X01 = 266 grams!!!
I'm shattered, I've actually increased the weight of my bike by 1 gram and it cost me $30.00 for the privilege!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I wonder if there is some OEM vs retail issues here?

SRAM product pages for XX1 and X01 definitely show different product weights. 260g vs 275g.

The XX1 product page lists material as 4130 Chromoly yet the accompanying XX1 cassette image appears to reflect reality, the 42T cog is not Chromoly but aluminium.

The X01 product page clearly states 4130 Chromoly steel (cog cluster), AL-7075-T6 (largest cog).

I notice my XX1 cassette does not have a part number on it, the 42T cog is aluminium and is anodized black. Is your 42T cog on the XX1 Chromoly or aluminum?

"someone's getting fucked and I think it's daddy"

Last edited:

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You got done mate..

Just weighed my XX1 cassette and it was 266g and covered in chain lube :heh:
This was an OEM cassette fitted to s-works epic wc

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Is it potentially the wear of the used X01 dropping the extra weight? (although i doubt it would be such a high decrease)

eastie

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The black not only looked slimming but weighed less! I didnt bother taking my bike apart to weigh it, but by their own figures you got dudded. Was it in sram packaging, or same same but different type oe packaging?