Why do roadies hug the painted shoulder line?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
There was no law introduced which stipulated minimum passing distances. The 1m or 1.5m clearances are only advisory.
Interesting that that's what's in the media releases though and semi official plain English sites - I suspect "safe" and " reasonable" has been defined within case law, and for some reason hasn't made it into legisaltion

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just in case it's not perfectly clear, if you are to cross a solid line it has to be safe to do so - how anyone thinks this is a dumb idea absolutely confounds me. If a lane is 2.8m wide, and the cyclist is as far over as he can get - the alternative is you drive so fucking close to the cyclist that if he swerves slightly, he's under he car. With this new, wholly common sensical piece of law, you can cross the double lines by a bit in order to pass the cyclist more safely
Or you could just slow the frack down and pass when it is safe to do so. Why is this the last option anyone considers?

Last edited:

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Interesting that that's what's in the media releases though and semi official plain English sites - I suspect "safe" and " reasonable" has been defined within case law, and for some reason hasn't made it into legisaltion
I wouldn't assume that to be the case, especially given in Tasmania it's been proven that you can mow down a cyclist from behind in perfect driving conditions and basically walk away scott free. Even being unlicensed, having several priors and telling a bullshit story doesn't count against you.

Just in case it's not perfectly clear, if you are to cross a solid line it has to be safe to do so - how anyone thinks this is a dumb idea absolutely confounds me.
Absolutely. Common sense says to me that if you absolutely need a line on a road to tell you when it's safe to pass, then it might be time to consider handing back in your license. The space required to pass a car travelling in the same direction as you, travelling at 60kph+ and a cyclist tooling along, usually between 15-30kph is vastly different.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Or you could just slow the frack down and pass when it is safe to do so. Why is this the last option anyone considers?
Don't be ridiculous... Bikes don't pay rego and shouldn't be on the road. I'm not slowing down for someone who shouldn't be there in the first place, and if they get hurt its their own fracking fault.

Bloody idiots.:crazy:

Meanwhile, back in the real world where Limited News, shock jocks and the "conservative" politicians are treated with the contempt they deserve, its clear that people won't slow down because Australian road culture is defined by wilfully ignorant lazy impatient inconsiderate incompetent thoughtless arseholes.

casnell

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Don't be ridiculous... Bikes don't pay rego and shouldn't be on the road. I'm not slowing down for someone who shouldn't be there in the first place, and if they get hurt its their own fracking fault.

Bloody idiots.:crazy:

Meanwhile, back in the real world where Limited News, shock jocks and the "conservative" politicians are treated with the contempt they deserve, its clear that people won't slow down because Australian road culture is defined by wilfully ignorant lazy impatient inconsiderate incompetent thoughtless arseholes.

And they expect you to fix your car after you hit them!

Actually in France and Denmark now they pay cyclists to commute because its cheaper than fixing road damage from cars.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Slippy , that's precisely what the legislation is saying - it's just adding that you can also cross solid lines to do so (when it's safe)

Although I genuinely hope you're not hoping that every car is going to slow to the cyclists speed when they come up behind them - way to make more motorists resent cyclists than already

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Cyclists/caravans/tractors/old trucks/etc etc. Why do some of these make people slow down without rage and one does...?

So much ignorance and intolerance in the world. Its very tiring.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I genuinely hope you're not hoping that every car is going to slow to the cyclists speed when they come up behind them - way to make more motorists resent cyclists than already
Works in Europe. It's a completely cultural thing. We just need to shift our mindset from one of "me first" to co-operation. The problem isn't the time added to the journey (a few seconds!!!) it's the feeling of slowing down not being appealing and the bigger picture not being appreciated. By encouraging motorists to cross the double lines I really wonder if we're sending the wrong message, which is that slowing down and driving at 25km/h for a few seconds is something to be avoided at all costs.

PJO

in me vL comy
Cyclists/caravans/tractors/old trucks/etc etc. Why do these make some people slow down and rage, while most people just slow down...?

So much ignorance and intolerance in the world. Its very tiring.
Fixed it for you.
Frankly, I don't think it is a majority of folk that get annoyed by having to pass a cyclist, especially on routes where bike riders are common. Just the odd idiot who thinks that the road is theirs to own, these people are a dangerous nuisance to everyone not just cyclists.

There was no law introduced which stipulated minimum passing distances. The 1m or 1.5m clearances are only advisory.
Yes, thanks for the clarification, it is not a law, would be very difficult to enforce.

I wouldn't assume that to be the case, especially given in Tasmania it's been proven that you can mow down a cyclist from behind in perfect driving conditions and basically walk away scott free. Even being unlicensed, having several priors and telling a bullshit story doesn't count against you.
Those cases are a very sad blight on cycling on Tasmanian roads, and yet I still get on my bike and ride on the road...I must have a screw loose somewhere!

rangersac

Medically diagnosed OMS
Those cases are a very sad blight on cycling on Tasmanian roads, and yet I still get on my bike and ride on the road...I must have a screw loose somewhere!
You and me both brother. Currently not doing the daily commute due to a bad back and it's driving me bananas.