Why do some Freewheel hubs make lots of noise?

sxereturn

Likes Bikes and Dirt
How loud a hub is does not define it's quality. I can just see the advertsing logo's...

"Our hubs are 120 decibels - SIMPLY THE BEST!".

And if you pack it full of grease, make sure it's super thick, black, gunky truck grease.

Dane

Likes Dirt
sxereturn said:
And if you pack it full of grease, make sure it's super thick, black, gunky truck grease.
failing that, go and scrape some sap off a gum tree!

Adi

It's my birthday!
sxereturn said:
How loud a hub is does not define it's quality. I can just see the advertsing logo's...

"Our hubs are 120 decibels - SIMPLY THE BEST!".

120 decibels, woah..... :D

For an idea of how loud that is (would be):

140 Decibels causes pain, similar to a Jet like a 747 taking off 25 metres away :D,

100-120 Decibels = Concorde jet or 707 jet landing ~370 ft. away :p

Definately a good way to clean them pedos of the footpaths... mwahahahaha :D

naz

Criminally Inane
juzza said:
yah the louder the hub, and the more clicks it makes tends to sort of tell you how good the hubs are. ie. Hadleys and alike will buzzz like crazy when you ride but others that come stock on "not so good" bikes are quieter. The buzzing is from all the engagement points and hadleys have 60 something of them.
thats a load of shit, haha, firstly sounds got nothing to do with it, a properly maintained king will almost be silent, hadleys have 36engagemnent points grrr :p

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah kings make more of a puuuring noise instead of a rapid clicking, they are so so sweet.

I can't wait till I get my new rim to get mine built up ^_^

DavidS

Squid
clicky Campags!

If yer want noisy freewheels try fitting Campag cassettes!
They make a lovely noise-nice and click clicks. David S
Just to be silly.

wombat

Lives in a hole
I guarentee you'll be making some not very nice sounds as soon as you try and put a campy cassette on a shimano freehub......

naz

Criminally Inane
Re: clicky Campags!

DavidS said:
If yer want noisy freewheels try fitting Campag cassettes!
They make a lovely noise-nice and click clicks. David S
Just to be silly.
whats the cassette got to do with the freewheel :?:

Fkahb

Likes Dirt
Q. - have noticed a lot of DH bikes have a very noisy freewheels on the rear hubs. I am guessing they are different and stronger than say XC types, but why the noise, does it serve a purpose, and if not, can it be reduced or eliminated?

Going by the replies - most people prefer noisy hubs. I am looking to reduce the noise - the rachet sounds like like I've hooked a marlin or something. Can anyone tell me the purpose of the noise and if it can be eliminated? Thanks.

naz

Criminally Inane
grease the little sucker up, if its pawl system shitmano's are pretty much silent, its more top end that buzz, as if u dont love it, its like a bell people hear u coming a mile away, meh its personal preferance