Why do they use torx screws on disc brakes.

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
Just wondering why torx screws are used on disc brakes rotors. I had to replace one today and it took me ages to find the my torx keys, why not just use a hex instead?

oetkb

Likes Bikes
Purely and utterly just to torment you.. Oh and to cut the skins off your nuckles when you slip up.

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
I suspect that it's to allow a larger surface area contact between the bolt and the tool. This is needed because rotor bolts require a high amount of torque to be kept tight under braking.

Geoff Gump

Likes Dirt
Yea I read somewhere that technically you can apply a higher torque than allen bolts although imo they are more prone to slipping if your torx key is not perfectly square with the bolt head.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
hence why they are called "TORX" head.

and slipping is because people skimp on cheap tools and they round or are of poor dimensions.

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
It's because rotor bolts have to have shallow heads in order to clear the fork leg or dropout when mounted. A head this shallow would not work as an allen key and would round out quickly - Hence torx fittings.

- Joel

~James~

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've got Allen Key bolts on my rear rotor :p Had them for about 2 years with no problems! Obviously you couldn't use them on the front due to clearance though.

macca21

Likes Dirt
just replaced my torx heads with hex heads. works fine,.... I'd would've thought the amount of torque needed on an mtb rotor is way less than what a hex bolt is capable of.

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
In one case we needed to get a front brake onto a jump bike for 4x as we broke the one qe were using. Being of a Sunday no shops open we raided my brother work ute and scored some bolts with the same thread cut them down and away we went. Wasn't ideal looked like shit but got us out on the track.

As long as you use something with a relatively low profile you will be fine. Magura even use counter sunk torx head on some of their alloy spider rotors for a clean look.

Last edited:

GTBoy

Likes Bikes
I guess they work ok, but its a pain that you have to have a tool pretty much specifically just for rotors, I've never needed a torx key for anything else on a bike.

Magura

Likes Dirt
I also have to join the torx hate club, but for different reasons.

A hex bolt that is full of dirt, can easily be cleaned out with a small screw driver or the like, a torx that is filled with dirt, is a true PITA to clean out.

To be bothered by the need for another tool, is a short lived issue, as torx is something we are gonna see a lot more of in the future, so we will need a set of torx drivers anyway.

Magura :)

rone

Eats Squid
I guess they work ok, but its a pain that you have to have a tool pretty much specifically just for rotors, I've never needed a torx key for anything else on a bike.
Try owning a Volvo. The whole car is put together using Torx bolts and screws. Put together well, though.

Last edited:

smen

Likes Bikes
Try owning a Volvo. The whole car is put together using Torx bolts, and screws. Put together well, though.
My saab also has heaps of torx. Torx is better than a phillips head, but it's still frustrating to own a whole set of tools just for my car.

Anyone want to buy an 89 SAAB 9000 Turbo*?

*does not include torx tools

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all my hope brakes use torx heads on the res caps, a lot of my bolts are torx because ive changed them, the crank holders on my ute are locked in with tamper proof heads, and need a special tool to use it, very funky.

r.ayres1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It,s the new age world we live in! Sure as shit in another year or two, some "F@#ken engineering genious" will come up with something that is "even better": and then we,ll have to buy a "different tool" to remove / install - ( Better buy a bigger tool box ) !! :D

Last edited:

SuperSix

Likes Dirt
Torx screws and 4.5Nm or toque isn't actually very high torque.

by all means you can use the regular hex bolt heads, but it sure provides a bit of security if nearly everyone has hex key wrenches...

muskimo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
this is one of my choice bolt heads for areas that are in the open and are likely to be taken. mine is second row second across.

there are some very funky ones that engage and lock around the out side like a standard bolt head does but in a very unique style.
this is one of my favorites

i kinda went and run off on a tangent sorry, back on topic these do come in rotor bolt size and thread.