Why do you wear goggles?

Why do you wear goggles?

• I wear goggles to keep the dirt out my face mainly.

Votes: 78 69.0%
  • I wear goggles to stop my eyes watering mainly.

Votes: 35 31.0%

• Total voters

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i only wear them if im going to be riding behind someone (keeps the dust out). if im going out by myself i ussually dont but they are good.
Oh yeah and to look cool :p

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
It is all about protecting my eyes. I don't like the watery eye effect and I don't like the shit hitting me so I didn't vote for either because I'd vote for both.
Goggles are a form of protection which ever way you look at it.;)

Mo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
that's interesting, i thought i was one of the few that had problems wearing contacts riding.
anyform of eye protection is good, as i cant understand why my eyes dry while riding and that's at any speed.

dr.matt

Likes Dirt
Well i wear them for both reasons,

To protect the peepers from dirt, rocks, sticks etc.

And to stop them watering when im cutting up onions :p (yes, i really do)

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I wear them basically because of getting stuff in my eyes in the past. A few quick racers I've seen choose not too though.

[offtopic] Anyone know where to track down those reflective/ionized lenses for dragon mdx's or Utopia too dirty's? [\offtopic]

floody

Wheel size expert
I don't on an mtb. I did once upon a time, but in my advancing years I've realised that....
-You are NOT going to get roosted
-Rarely if ever are DH or 4X races conducted in the mud; and in any case mud just cakes goggles, as who can rip off tearoffs mid DH run?
-Occasionally dust could warrant them, but thats very rare.

All in all I think most people just wear them because they think they ought to wear them, or they look cool. I'm not ashamed to say I'd probably wear them again to look fully racer stylee, haha.

If watery eyes are an issue, yeah fair enough. If you find you get a lot of crap in your eyes, fair enough. I have neither issue so I don't wear them, basically.

$@NT@

Squid
i dont have to googles i just wear sunnies

but i wear them all the time whilst riding.

Ive had a stick come up off the the ground and crack the left lense of my glasses exactly wear my eye was

so that why i wear them

leekscurlock

Likes Bikes
I voted for protection beacause thats the main reason and im glad i do wear them as i have had a few near misses with branches and rocks that could have been pretty serious but just left me with scrached and cracked lenses, much better in my oppinion than scrached and cracked eye balls, but i guess that its definatly an advantage not having WES when racing so really i would vote both if i could have.

scblack

Leucocholic
Obviously to keep debris out of harms way, but also, I wear contact lenses, the wind in the eyes dries them out fast, goggles keep this at bay.
Same as me.

But I do also wear glasses, and I want to protect spectacles like my last pair just bought which cost $710 before health funds rebate.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
I don't on an mtb. I did once upon a time, but in my advancing years I've realised that....
-Rarely if ever are DH or 4X races conducted in the mud; and in any case mud just cakes goggles, as who can rip off tearoffs mid DH run?

All in all I think most people just wear them because they think they ought to wear them, or they look cool. I'm not ashamed to say I'd probably wear them again to look fully racer stylee, haha.

If watery eyes are an issue, yeah fair enough. If you find you get a lot of crap in your eyes, fair enough. I have neither issue so I don't wear them, basically.
i wish i lived in hobart where it was never muddy nor dusty!

i wear goggles when riding DH to stop dust and debris, and also to stop eyes watering. i cant think of a single DH track in SEQ, legal or otherwise, where your vision isnt seriously hindered by dust clouds when ever you are behind another rider.

donthucktoflat

Eats Squid

you serious?

what about a stick being flicked up from the front wheel? what about cutting that corner just that little extra bit to get a better line into the next corner and being whipped in the face by a branch?

or dont you ride hard enough?:p;):rolleyes:

alpinestar12

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i wish i lived in hobart where it was never muddy nor dusty!

i wear goggles when riding DH to stop dust and debris, and also to stop eyes watering. i cant think of a single DH track in SEQ, legal or otherwise, where your vision isnt seriously hindered by dust clouds when ever you are behind another rider.
Too True. Maybe I should buy some goggles.

I've heard that the prolonged exposure to wind, even a relatively light 15km/hr, can be quite damaging for the eyes, so googles, sunnies or even your specs should always be worn. You guys wearing contacts would know just how quickly the eyes become dry, irritated and sore. Any Opthalmologists or Optomertists out there care to share their view/opinion/research.

scblack

Leucocholic
I've heard that the prolonged exposure to wind, even a relatively light 15km/hr, can be quite damaging for the eyes, so googles, sunnies or even your specs should always be worn. You guys wearing contacts would know just how quickly the eyes become dry, irritated and sore. Any Opthalmologists or Optomertists out there care to share their view/opinion/research.
No damage can be done by winds/air as far as I know. As eyes dry they will of course be irritated and eventually sore, but does not cause DAMAGE as such.

Newman06

Likes Bikes
haha yeah that one of my fears to its deffinetly to stop me getting dirt in my eyes when racing but when im just riding then there only to stop my eyes watering... and i would hate to get a stick in the eye or sumthing when im racing.. fuk that would hurt...