Why I hate football....

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
Argh, it's that time of year again, constant mindless football TV shows dribbling nothing but pre-digested vomit.

The game is so boring they need to keep score to make it interesting. Stop scoring and it all becomes totally pointless.

That's why I love mtb, or skiing (snow or water) or surfing (wind or kite) or rock climbing. So many other exciting sports that are inherently interesting even without a scoreline.

MARKL

Eats Squid
Argh, it's that time of year again, constant mindless football TV shows dribbling nothing but pre-digested vomit.

The game is so boring they need to keep score to make it interesting. Stop scoring and it all becomes totally pointless.

That's why I love mtb, or skiing (snow or water) or surfing (wind or kite) or rock climbing. So many other exciting sports that are inherently interesting even without a scoreline.
Look at it from another perspective, all those guys sitting in front of the tv, brawling at Euro whatever could be clogging up your trails. Keep up the mass distraction I say.

Spike-X

Grumpy Old Sarah
Not defending football, because ugh, but...I'm pretty sure timing race runs, with split times and all, is the same thing as keeping score?

Skydome

What's invisible and smells like hay?
Ever taken a look at your average DH shuttle by chance?
Affirmative.

We have a few bogans, but have you taken a look at your average football game attendees by any chance?

Yep. No surprise football games are mostly filled with bogans drinking vb or the cheapest beer they can possibly find whilst watching an equally as mind numbing sport.

moorey

call me Mia
I love my Facebook feed being crammed with mates bragging how well 'we' played, or how robbed 'we' were. 'We' just wore an arse groove in the couch, and dribbled beer on 'our' singlet.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
I knew there was a reason i liked this forum.

Growing up in a central Victorian small town as a bit of a science nerd with hippy parents, I predictably did not get on with the local bogan footy heads... Castlemaine was pretty rough in those days (long before half of Northcote moved in), and the experience forever tainted the foot balls.

I know intellectually that not everyone who likes it is a knuckle dragging aggressive ignorant fuckhead, but its hard to seperate the two. I rode my bike a lot as a teenager, hung out with the goth kids, and got the fuck out as soon as high school was over and moved to St Kilda. Have managed to avoid footy heads ever since.

Oddly, my brother loves it. Very confusing.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Which football are you talking about?

I don't like team sports. I don't like spectator sports, especially team ones. The sense of belonging is munted. I don't think highly of competition in general. Why do you need someone else to compare to?

moorey

call me Mia
Which football are you talking about?

I don't like team sports. I don't like spectator sports, especially team ones. The sense of belonging is munted. I don't think highly of competition in general. Why do you need someone else to compare to?
Any. All. Each.

Haakon

I just don't get it.

Have a mate at work who plays competitively - he is a serious hipster, complete with long flowing locks, a doctorate, an ability to use a full complement of actual words, a cute little motorbike, and very well dressed. Yet he plays the victorian version of the foot balls and seems to get on with the rednecks. Its very confusing.

But team sports in general are odd. I remain bemused and confused by the whole lot of them.

Maybe mountain bikes tend to attract the loner types - who like mountain biking because it gets you out into the bush and the fuck away from all the idiots.

stirk

Burner
Football is awesome, how else are we entertained by guys defecating in hotel hallways or sleeping with a mates wife or pissing their pants while pretending to hump a dog.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Football is awesome, how else are we entertained by guys defecating in hotel hallways or sleeping with a mates wife or pissing their pants while pretending to hump a dog.
You forgot pissing in their own mouths.

I don't try to understand the team ball players.

Haakon

Maybe they just really enjoy each others company. There does seem to be an awful lot of hugging and grabbing each other on the arse. Not that theres anything wrong with that of course.