Why I love my Weber BBQ

redbruce

Eats Squid
If you camp/picnic with your Weber Q this may be useful. A LPG filler hose. Cost ~ $150. I bought mine through BlueLPG's ebay store though you can buy direct off them.

I use it to top up my 1.25kg gas bottle from my 9kg gas bottle. Heaps cheaper than a store refill and less complaints from the kids carrying 9kg bottle :)

Pays for itself after about 6 refills.

There are SWPs on the net. Just make sure you understand them fully and wear appropriate PPE. There are also some youtube videos but some are dodgy including the BlueLPG one.

View attachment 315806
Also illegal unless you are certified for decanating. Carries a decent fine and very dangerous if you don't follow the correct procedure.

Back to topic, what is the best Weber for camping use as BBQ and to do small roasts?

Last edited:

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
LPG is more versatile as the energy potential is higher,it can be better for searing and hotplate cooking.
Webers are designed for hood down slow cooking anyway, so both will cook slow roast equally as well.

Jets are different diameter as the air/fuel ratio is different for NG and LPG. You need to change both supply pressure regulator, Hose (if not rated high enough) and the jets.
This is why you should leave the conversion to qualified people! Statements like this ^^^^ are dangerous.
Nothing about it is dangerous. I didn't say to do the conversion yourself, just an alternative source for one of the parts.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also illegal unless you are certified for decanating. Carries a decent fine and very dangerous if you don't follow the correct procedure.

Back to topic, what is the best Weber for camping use as BBQ and to do small roasts?
I have myself, wife and 3 young kids and we use the Baby q as we are limited for space. I am thinking that the next size up would be nice when my kids are over 10. However it is camping and you make do I guess...

freddofrog

Likes Dirt

I thought so too but the the law only states you need to be competent. It does not mention any certification or licence. If you can show me the relevant (WA) legislation that says otherwise, I'm happy to be corrected. Mind you, there are a lot more dodgy ways people use to decant LPG. This is purpose built, certified and safe if used correctly.

BTW I did the test used to determine competency and it isn't rocket science.

----

So back on topic, wrt to camping, I have wife and 2 kids (11 & 12) and the mid size Q220 is perfect for us. I prefer the Q220 with the thermometer. It also has a higher hood. This will easily fit 2 very large chickens. The smaller Baby Q is better for couples or space constrained campers. I also had the large family Q300 for a very short while. It's way too big to take camping/picnic etc so I sold it.

btw we take a std 6x4 trailer camping so space is less an issue for us.

Last edited:

stirk

Burner
The baby q is great but won't fit a chook unless you get the 1200 lid, but happly does a butterflied chook which is best anyway as it cooks quicker so uses less gas, a small roast beef would be OK but there would be little room for other stuff like potatoes, so if you have space the lager q 2200 would be great. I need to upgrade the baby q to that model now.

Also if you have space the traveller is great but is deemed a fire so in fire ban areas best to leave at home.

Cleaning tip for the q's, high pressure washer in the garden, quick and easy and cleans out the burner holes.

markusm

Likes Bikes
We needed a new BBQ a few years back and we were the lucky winners of some vouchers one Christmas so we bought the family Q. I'll agree that is does cook a nice meal but far out, it's bloody expensive and in the end, it is just a BBQ.
I reckon you guys have got something similar to a Jeep owner's club going on here. :llama:
No a weber is reliable

stirk

Burner
We needed a new BBQ a few years back and we were the lucky winners of some vouchers one Christmas so we bought the family Q. I'll agree that is does cook a nice meal but far out, it's bloody expensive and in the end, it is just a BBQ.
I reckon you guys have got something similar to a Jeep owner's club going on here. :llama:
Don't Jeep owners bang on about how awesome their crap vehicles are?

Report back in 10 years as your rust free BBQ is still going strong. Mine have lived outside and while weathered are still kicking on like the day purchased.

I only hope Webber maintain their quality for years to come.

Dozer "I bought a Webber!!!"

Stirk "I bought 3!!!!!"

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Gee, looking for some recipes and all I find is the gas fitters and plumbers Union harping on about how it's all about safety not a fuckload of money for their members.

Have babyq - not any more miraculous than any other hooded BBQ I've owned

stirk

Burner
Gee, looking for some recipes and all I find is the gas fitters and plumbers Union harping on about how it's all about safety not a fuckload of money for their members.

You are doing it wrong :heh:

freddofrog

Likes Dirt

Customer support dude. I can still easily get parts for my 10yr old weber, and some still under warranty. Any other brand you'd have to either pay or simply throw it away and buy another one.

freddofrog

Likes Dirt
You just need a spit!
Yes. A spit and a pellet smoker/BBQ.

My brother's inlaws are now manufacturing the pellets and looking at importing the BBQs. They are big in the U.S. And Europe but not so much here as yet. A recent Masterchef challenge had them cooking on them. One day I'll get one.

stirk

Burner
Yes. A spit and a pellet smoker/BBQ.

My brother's inlaws are now manufacturing the pellets and looking at importing the BBQs. They are big in the U.S. And Europe but not so much here as yet. A recent Masterchef challenge had them cooking on them. One day I'll get one.
I saw that, looks interesting. I smoke in my baby q, just put some chips near the hottest right hand side at the beginning of the cook and they smoke up nicely, just watch for flame.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Been on the brink for a while now, advice please.
Two adults, two kids but want portability. Q2200?
Any tips for buying secondhand, things to look for?

will2

Likes Dirt
Are you a qualified gas fitter with a licence to sign off modifications to a gas appliance?
This is the law...... so having "done a million other times on BBQ's" was unlawful.
The classic style of weber (flat plate Party style) we just bought the whole kit off Ebay and threw it in. On a newer style 'Genesis' the kit came with the barbecue and put that into the barbecue.

Webber's official stance on converting gas types is no.

My understanding is that many parts need replacing, valve, hose and regulator so $165 doesn't seem unreasonable.

Isn't LPG hotter than NG anyway?
When going from NG to LPG just the injector can be done with a new regulator, to get it to around 3.5 psi. As it stands currently when plugged into LPG you get an extremely huge yellow flame, meaning waaaay too much fuel if being put through the venturi, it needs to be slowed a bit

wavike

Likes Dirt
Been on the brink for a while now, advice please.
Two adults, two kids but want portability. Q2200?
Any tips for buying secondhand, things to look for?
I've had the Q220 for a few years. It's portable, anything bigger would be a hassle. My family 2x2 also, it's been perfect for most cooking. Lives on the verandah, used mostly for chops/steak and pizzas now, but it's seen plenty of roasts and seafood. I haven't taking it camping / out, but was camping with a (regular) group a while back. They had a 200 and cooked breakfast, lunch and dinner on it for about a dozen people. It was brilliant.