Why is it...?

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
:?: Why is it that so many people on this forum are into design? There seems to be a larger than average number of CAD/ CAE operators on here... even just the average person.

I started wondering whether everyone here just thinks they can come up with better designs for parts or bikes than the big companies? Why is this?

Do any of you expect your designs to be produced? Have any of you produced one of your designs? Even just one offs? How have they measured up?

Just curious...!

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I made these, for doing pedal grinds. Slide pretty good, just gotta work on being able to do 'em clean.

Ghost

Likes Dirt
For the most part, I've always found myself and others talking about various components/bikes that could be improved. Downhill is a pretty personalised sport and each bike is different from the last, so it's probably only natural that those who take it seriously play around with design from time to time.

Taking something that already exists then tweaking it for your personal style is a challenge, and allows you to express your creative side.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well i've made a few custom parts in the last few years, i do CAD/CAM for a job so it think it's only natural to make these little custom bits.
Here is some of the stuff i've made in the last 2-3 years.

1st thing i made, increased the travel on my DBR from 4" to 5" but raised the leverage ratio too high and also seemed to make the end of stroke very regressive.

2nd was a bashring/chainguide using a DMR boomerang and rollers.

3rd, new bike requires new chain device so i made 2 of these 01 Evil copies, Socket has the other one.

4th, before i was kicked off Gaymonkey.com i ran a little competition to see who could name a pretty rare fish that i keep, the prize was a custom bashring. I'll do the same on here when i get some spare machine time.

Next was a brake adapter for my 8" XTs, nothing too fancy here but it does the job.

and the last thing i've made is a new linkage for my FRM.

The new linkage(using a 2.25" stroke shock instead of 2") raises the travel from 6" to about 7.5" but as you can see in the pic it also raises the BB and steepens the head angle, i'll be designing a new linkage very soon that won't raise the BB so much.

Damn i'm a show off :p

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yep, i certainly do. Wouldn't be half as rewarding if i had some one else do it.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
Yeah well...

My partner (inlina in the forum) designs heaps of cool shit- like the stem in my avatar and the bashring i used to have b4 that but neither of us has machining knowledge so... we end up paying out craploads to a local engineer to make stuff up. He does it pretty cheap i suppose- cos its his fun thing as opposed to th mundane everyday stuff. but it takes ages all the time to get him to understand th application for the parts... I had a brake/ fork adaptor made up too...

oh yeah- your definatly a show off!

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mtbdh_girl said:
oh yeah- your definatly a show off!

BTW, what do you consider to be "craploads" ? I usually charge myself and machine out at about $65/hour. I hope your getting it done cheaper than that.

mtbdh_girl

Likes Dirt
The brake adaptor cost me about $90 for the work and materials... It is probably a bit smaller than the one youve got and a bit more complicated too though.

S.

ex offender
mtbdh_girl said:
:?: Why is it that so many people on this forum are into design? There seems to be a larger than average number of CAD/ CAE operators on here... even just the average person.

I started wondering whether everyone here just thinks they can come up with better designs for parts or bikes than the big companies? Why is this?

Do any of you expect your designs to be produced? Have any of you produced one of your designs? Even just one offs? How have they measured up?

Just curious...!
Not many people here could actually make a better design than the big companies in that it's hard to make stuff that works well, suits the BROAD market (ie niche things like that linkage design I posted aren't going to suit a lot of people), is cheap and can be backed up by an actual warranty. However, what people can make, is relatively simple stuff (such as the bashguards) that can be produced in small quantities for cheap, or a lot of people can customise their bikes. Virtually nobody I know has a bike that you could exactly replicate by buying off-the-shelf stuff.

Gutty

Likes Bikes and Dirt
mtbdh_girl said:
The brake adaptor cost me about $90 for the work and materials... It is probably a bit smaller than the one youve got and a bit more complicated too though.
yeah, thats not too bad i guess, depending on the details. There is probably 1.5-2 hours work in them.

I actually have a spare 8" XT adapter if anyone needs one, just need to know how much offset to machine on it. First person to PM gets it.

duncan^kona

Likes Dirt
Socket said:
mtbdh_girl said:

Just curious...!
Not many people here could actually make a better design than the big companies in that it's hard to make stuff that works well, suits the BROAD market (ie niche things like that linkage design I posted aren't going to suit a lot of people), is cheap and can be backed up by an actual warranty. However, what people can make, is relatively simple stuff (such as the bashguards) that can be produced in small quantities for cheap, or a lot of people can customise their bikes. Virtually nobody I know has a bike that you could exactly replicate by buying off-the-shelf stuff.
my best guess is that people on here like to design to their own satisfaction, ie, exactly what they are looking for... or atleast thats what i would be doing if i designed/made anything.
by the way, furgus (fastrider_gus) has just finished a set of pedals he has made, but im not too sure if he designed them and then made them, or just went and made them...