Why motorists dislike cyclists...

jett_e

Likes Bikes
Before I got back into mounting biking I was into motorbikes and quite often whilst riding up my local favorite stretch of road, riding at the signposted speed, I would come around a blind corner and into a wall of road riders. Knee down on a 1000cc bike with no where to go makes for a heart in the throat and undie staining moment.

Fortunately every time it happened there was no oncoming vehicles so I was able to pick the bike up and ride around the pack in the opposite lane but if there ever was a situation where there was an oncoming car, I wouldn't be putting the bike down and risk sliding head on into the car.

In that situation roadies are not just arrogant, they are just down right stupid endangering the lives of themselves and other road users.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
snip.... I'll follow the street rules when I am respected by drivers.
There lies part of the problem, there will be no chance of respect from drivers when road laws aren't followed, it's a chicken or the egg scenario.

These days I mainly ride road bikes for fitness not commuting. In Adelaide we are blessed with the hills so this is where all of my riding is done and generally by myself. The relationship I have with cars is very good with the exception of a few fcktards and I don't obey the road laws any less than when I'm in a car (I'm not perfect). One thing I'll never do is run a red light, it's the "cyclists" that blatantly and deliberately flout the road laws that infuriate me. If all the cyclists obeyed the road rules, motorists would have to come up with the next thing to moan about.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Before I got back into mounting biking I was into motorbikes and quite often whilst riding up my local favorite stretch of road, riding at the signposted speed, I would come around a blind corner and into a wall of road riders. Knee down on a 1000cc bike with no where to go makes for a heart in the throat and undie staining moment.

Fortunately every time it happened there was no oncoming vehicles so I was able to pick the bike up and ride around the pack in the opposite lane but if there ever was a situation where there was an oncoming car, I wouldn't be putting the bike down and risk sliding head on into the car.

In that situation roadies are not just arrogant, they are just down right stupid endangering the lives of themselves and other road users.

Is that the road speed limit or the recommended speed for the corner?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Is that the road speed limit or the recommended speed for the corner?
See, I read that as just a no way can that happen. Recomended corner speeds are rated to visibility around the corner as well as the radius and the grip of the surface - if you follow recomended speed and there is a car parked in the middle of the road past the apex, stopping before running into them should be a doddle.

I know people who ride the pacific highway between Newcastle and Sydney on weekends on their roadies , and given the speed I've seen motorcyclists ride down there ( and sports cars for that matter) I think they are completely barking mad.

jett_e

Likes Bikes
See, I read that as just a no way can that happen. Recomended corner speeds are rated to visibility around the corner as well as the radius and the grip of the surface - if you follow recomended speed and there is a car parked in the middle of the road past the apex, stopping before running into them should be a doddle.

I know people who ride the pacific highway between Newcastle and Sydney on weekends on their roadies , and given the speed I've seen motorcyclists ride down there ( and sports cars for that matter) I think they are completely barking mad.
I am talking about the Old Pacific Hwy between Brooklyn and Calga and I completely agree with you regarding the speed at which some (most) motorcyclists ride down there. The amount of crosses and wreaths on the side of the road is a constant reminder of how dangerous that stretch of road is. The speed limit has been reduced to 60 and is policed like a hawk but regardless of whether your doing 40 or 60, it's still quite daunting coming around a corner and trying to keep the momentum to be able to pick the bike up in time safely.

I must say that I thought I was quite a sensible rider and rode within my capabilities for fear of dying or losing my license but the same can not be said for a lot of other riders who get up there.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
some cyclists i see daily are insane.

regardless of the law, who was right of way, etc i will always yield to the larger vehicle... there's no point being right when you're under a truck.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
The other side of the coin some seem to be forgetting is that the cyclist you see and pisses you off cause they are taking up half the lane is the cyclist who makes it home.

Its usually the cyclist off on the shoulder trying to be inconspicuous that the motorist "simply didn't see" that ends up under the car.

Go through some accident details just about every one involving a car hitting a cyclist involves the I just didn't see them excuse

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
I've just returned from my ride this morning and if I wasn't alert and riding defensively would have been hit by a car today, closest call in a long time. Front and rear lights (Lyzene), oncoming car stationary and wanting to turn right, didn't even look for me and turned straight in front, my pre braking speed was around 35-40. If I hadn't braked in anticipation I would have t-boned the car or been hit from the side. Many expletives, wave of acknowledgement from the driver and I get home to live another day. People don't see what they don't look for.

On the humorous side it did reinforce a driver stereotype, guess the gender and the nationality.

ozbruce

Squid
Knee down on a 1000cc bike with no where to go makes for a heart in the throat and undie staining moment.
get down to phillip island for that....riding on the road with your knee down makes no sense,..you probably had already seen some cyclists on the road before you caught up with the bunch..what if it was a family in a car broken down around a blind corner or a truck..what was the hurry? And I would love to see you ride around at the signposted speed with your knee down....you must really have to hang off!

Last edited:

atsmito

CHICKS DIG ME
How many of the roadie haters get stuck behind slower moving vehicles everyday?... trucks, L-plater's, road works? I don't see a lot of drivers hurling abuse or trying to buzz past them as closely as possible... I ride a about 4 times a week on the road and see multiple drivers doing the wrong thing every ride without fail. Cyclists are targeted because they are a minority and yes part of that minority are idiots and do the wrong thing but there are shit loads more cars so yep guess what a shit load more idiots behind the wheel. Sorry but unless you are actually out there riding on the road you just don't see all that happens you are making your judgement from inside your metal cocoon and on the rare occasion you encounter a cyclist (minority remember), see what it feels like when you are doing the right thing on the road and have a car buzz past your handlebars at 100km/h when there are no oncoming cars on a straight bit of road. There are idiots everywhere only problem is though its a subjective view most of the time. Better roads and infrastructure that accommodates the growing cycling community is key.

jett_e

Likes Bikes
Knee down was a bit of an over exaggeration but it's not hard to do at the signposted speed on this road. Have you ridden there yourself? There is always cyclists there and most of the time there in pairs but as I said in my first post, occasionally you come across a big group of them. They would be able to hear a motorbike coming there way.

I've had a few poo stain moments out at Eastern Creek but that's not what this is about.

ozbruce

Squid
"Knee down was a bit of an over exaggeration but it's not hard to do at the signposted speed on this road. Have you ridden there yourself? There is always cyclists there and most of the time there in pairs but as I said in my first post, occasionally you come across a big group of them. They would be able to hear a motorbike coming there way."

read your first post and have a think about it...the bunch should get out of your way because you have aloud exhaust pipe? really?

"I've had a few poo stain moments out at Eastern Creek but that's not what this is about."

no wonder you seem to only ride one corner at a time..any dirt on the track and you would run off!

jett_e

Likes Bikes
Motorbike riding skills, signposted speed and whatever else aside, if you were cycling in a big group just having gone around a bend on a notoriously dangerous road and you can hear a motorbike, truck, car, horse and cart, whatever coming up behind you, would you try and move to the left or stay on the centre line and risk your own life?

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
I was sitting behind an unmarked highway patrol yesterday . It was a 4 way stop sign, and the car in front had stopped ( extra carefully to avoid not stopping ticket). A cyclist came down the hill from the right and went straight through the intersection at a solid 20kmh.

Nothin from the highway patrol. About 4 minutes later he had pulled over a different car, not 600m up the road ( no idea why).

I guarantee that if that was a car going through that stop sign, he would have acted.

So the reality is, bikes can and do act with impunity.
Not entirely true... I've been stopped at a red light seen a roadie with headphones on not even look up for a second, or break stride, go straight through a light that had been red for at least 50 meters before he got to the intersection. The police were also at the front of the intersection and pulled him into the servo near by that I was at too and they handed him a ticket.

It all depends on the officer, what ever else thay have on at the time, and what they have to do in the day.

It doesn't always happen, but it does.... and it should. There's no reason why riders should get away with going through red lights.

atsmito

CHICKS DIG ME
Motorbike riding skills, signposted speed and whatever else aside, if you were cycling in a big group just having gone around a bend on a notoriously dangerous road and you can hear a motorbike, truck, car, horse and cart, whatever coming up behind you, would you try and move to the left or stay on the centre line and risk your own life?
Sometimes it's the safest place to be, you might not realise but it's so you are seen and the other reason it is done sometimes is because a lot of motorists don't realise how big there SUV or 4wd actually is and they try squeezing past with oncoming cars over double whites almost knocking you off into the gutter.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Sometimes it's the safest place to be, you might not realise but it's so you are seen and the other reason it is done sometimes is because a lot of motorists don't realise how big there SUV or 4wd actually is and they try squeezing past with oncoming cars over double whites almost knocking you off into the gutter.
Had that one before, now if I think a situation like that will present itself I'll sit in the middle of the lane and block the car until the oncoming car has gone. I'll then give the car behind me a thank you wave when they go past.

MARKL

Eats Squid
What a load of shit.

There is something in the genetic make up of Aussies that turn us from the most laid back, easy going people around to aggressive, ranting, borderline homicidal maniacs as soon as we get behind the wheel of a car.
We can't stand that something might hold us up. We need to get there as fast as possible so we have an extra 2 seconds to stand around complaining of how board we are.

Thought that some one else is out on the road enjoying their trip on a bike drives us stark raving mad.

Drive around the UK on the narrow back streets. More cars on main rds that wouldn't be counted wide enough for a back lane here yet frigg all of the angst (out side of london and discounting recent twitter t and run morons).

Someones riding a bike in front of you. Well you just slow down and follow them for a bit till you get a safe place to pass then give them a big friendly wave as you do so. Pull up at a busy intersection dreading the thought of try to find a gap to merge, before you know it someone slows to a stop, flashes their lights and waves you in. and somehow the people behind them refrain from blasting horns and shaking fists.
Those poms are a strange breed!
Flynny nailed it in one, basically everyone on the road acts like a complete cunt and can't tolerate the thought of sharing the road or delaying there trip for a few seconds. If a cyclist delaying you on the road for a few seconds is the worse thing that happens you have had a good day.

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
In my van every day I the road not he north shore, I do my best to form protection for other cyclists. I'll sit behind them at a safe distance and block the cars, that way they have to go around me like they should do for the cyclist. When I want to go around, guess what, I'll chuck my indicator on (like you are supposed to anytime you get off your driving line more than 1 metre) change lanes completely then indicate again and change lanes back.
When I do this I watch my rear view mirror and it's amazing how many times the following cars do the same. Most drivers are sheep. Whatever the car in front does they will do. You can have a completely empty lane but if a car changes lanes so will the one behind for no apparent reason.

http://instagram.com/p/i8UtYtJ2Jm/

Staying in the middle of the lane IS the safest thing to do. If your off to the side you are harder to see OR clowns will try to squeeze past.

Last edited:

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
I have no doubt there are cyclists who believe stridently that the middle the lane is the safest place.

but, do they have any evidence? Anyone go through all the fatal collision reports and check where they are riding versus what proportion ride in that way?

although it's pretty reasonable to say its one of the reasons cars hate cyclists, same as I hate numpties who drive in the right lane without even considering keeping left - bane of my life, inconsiderate pricks on road.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Uurgh, another cyclist/road/rules/vs cars/attitude/who is responsible/laws thread.

Just ride your f*ckin bike, or drive your f*ckin car, on the road, and don't be a dick in either case.
Keep your eyes and ear open, be rspectful in both situations and who gives a f*ck what anyone thinks we should or shouldn't be allowed to do or who it might piss off.
If you ride and drive respectfully then you have the right to stand proud and say "Doesn't matter what anyone thinks, because I am the living example that it can work".

Simple.

So sick of these threads.

Now, for a more serious matter, clips or flats? Which is better for AM?

Uurgh...