Why not run different brakes?

clivey

Likes Dirt
Ive been seeing more bikes in the classifieds running different brake combinations like elixr 5 and avid codes
or something to similar effect, the question. WHY?!
I cant understand why you would run different brakes on your bike, can someone please enlighten me to what
i'm missing, if anything other than people being Nigels.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Ive been seeing more bikes in the classifieds running different brake combinations like elixr 5 and avid codes
or something to similar effect, the question. WHY?!
I cant understand why you would run different brakes on your bike, can someone please enlighten me to what
i'm missing, if anything other than people being Nigels.
Spare brakes maybe from an old bike? :noidea: I see no point otherwise

lindz1817

Likes Dirt
Maybe they wanted a brake upgrade, but they were on a budget, or could only find one end cheap so they chucked it on the front because that takes the bulk of the braking?

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
maybe they had a stack and broke something and put on whatever they could, maybe they are just parts bin specials...maybe they just wanted to piss you off with their odd braking choices... the only way you will find out is if you ask them

Broken Bones89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If you look carfefully you'll always see the better brake on the front. This is because 80% of your braking power comes from the front, the rear is pretty much there for control and to stop the rear from wanting to overtake the front.
When I had my DH bike I had a Code up front and an Elixir CR on the rear for this reason, served me fine and saved me some coin. :flame:

driftking

Wheel size expert
Because they are sponsored by so many companies they need to run two brakes to keep everyone happy.
If you need to buy one brake you wouldn't buy a set so it just happens.

The point is there is absolutely no performance edge of doing so. Unless they are really really weight weenies and are trying to save weight.

Fred Nurk

No custom title here
I ran an Elixir / Juicy setup for a few years. When I first got the bike I got Juicies, then when I migrated the parts over to a second frame, Elixirs came out and I got a bargain price for a new CR.

Brake pad differences can be annoying, but its not like one has brake fluid and the other mineral oil. I don't really see an issue with it.

driftking

Wheel size expert
to add if they are running a say elixir lever with code caliper or two of the same levers and two different but the same calipers that is a reason.
the older codes pre 2011 had more modulation so people who pair a elixir lever with them to get modulation and the code caliper offered more brake power.

if you are talking about that sort of mixing it tends to be a performance thing albeit most brakes now days don't need this they are all pretty good packages.