Why single speed for XC and trail riding - what am I missing?

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
Ok gonna try and articulate every positive response or comment you have ever read on SS.

Passion!

Look at the responses, all of them talk positively on what it does for the rider in terms of skill, ride, strength, technique improvements, simplicity, purity etc, all recounted with passion.

For me it is all of the above plus it takes me to that first ride on a bike for the first time, 4yo and not a care in the world, just the magic of the bike, a SS then and a SS now. Whilst all my bikes (geared mtbs, roadies etc) take me there to where I first discovered the passion in the late 1960s, it the SS that does it best.

Do you live to ride or ride to live, do you want to know?
Then get a SS and hit the forest or bush, only then will you truly know what you have been missing, it is the missing link.

We can all tell you but you just need to 'Do, don't think, Do' go an get on a SS and answer your own question.

Boxer

Likes Dirt
Interesting points of view and can appreciate the basic function and interaction creates a unique experience.

Am keen to try one before I go jumping in and buying one.

So do you really need a SS specific frame? How do horizontal dropouts work - I get the function of chain tension, but doesn't moving the wheel back and forth change the rear caliper/rotor relationship too?

ADD

Likes Dirt
So do you really need a SS specific frame? How do horizontal dropouts work - I get the function of chain tension, but doesn't moving the wheel back and forth change the rear caliper/rotor relationship too?
A dedicated SS frame is usually better designed and easier to set up for it. As for the brakes. You can adjust the calipers position to suit the wheel/rotor position on a dedicated SS frame.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Reading with interest - what about forks, is suspension the done thing, or is rigid with fat tyres more in the spirit ?

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Reading with interest - what about forks, is suspension the done thing, or is rigid with fat tyres more in the spirit ?
It really depends on what you ride. If you ride Buller, or rocky trails like that, then yes, suspension might be the way to go.

I ride rigid for a few reasons. I like the way that the front end is always predictable, in terms of geometry. I'm a climber, so lighter is better in this respect. Rigid is fine for 99.9% of what I ride, but don't take that as I only ride smooth trails, anything but.

I only have a SS mtb, no geared options for me. I race it, and although I know I'd be faster on a geared bike, I like not having to think about what/when to change etc. It really clears the mind. Just you, the bike and the trail.

It's not for everyone though. And it's not as hard as you might suspect.

My SS race bike

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
To me rigid is maybe going for too much purity rather than functionality. SS gearing has advantages, hardtails have advantages but for most riders having a sprung fork has advantages without too many real disadvantages (obviously argueable).

One of main riding buddies rides a fully rigid and only complains about the sore risk factor. Lock out your forks and see how you go in comparison... for a lot of riding you won't really notice a difference. Still stuff purity, suspension is handy up front.

Knut

Troll hunter
For the ruts, suspension. I am too old to be hammered anymore than I need to be. For speed, single dedicated drop outs.

Geometry is the key.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I only have a SS mtb, no geared options for me. I race it, and although I know I'd be faster on a geared bike,
Not sure on that one, wide open trails advantage the geared bike. But I think on technical tight trails with gradual climbs the SS is faster because you're forced to get out of the saddle and keep the cadence relatively high, while on a gear bike you're more likely to be spinning in the granny gear.

I've just bought a single speed again, after a year on geared bikes. I don't buy the zen crap.. makes you guys sound like a bunch of fixie hipsters. It's just different and a challenge and FUN!

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Last year i bought a steel 29er frame for $50 so thought i would have a play and build a SS.

It was my 1st 29er, 1st SS, 1st rigid MTB and over 1.5 kg heavier than my race dually. I raced the bike in all our XC series races and the SS nats. So much fun. Why? I guess all the reasons stated above. I had also been a bit burnt out after a full on 2010 and the SS was just a great refreshing change that motivated me to jump back into racing.

I sold the bike at Christmas and am now putting the final touches on my Chi carbon 29er, SS with EBB. In the mean time i have been back on my 2x9 but found myself not using the granny gear once in a 4 hour race or in the next 6 hour race and i have always been a spinner who is very fond of that little chainring....I am also riding the same gear much more and believe i have become a more efficient rider.
Can't wait to get back on the SS but will not give up my geared bikes either.....

Kris_on_1

Likes Dirt
I drive an automatic...

... I like not having to think about what/when to change etc. It really clears the mind. Just you, the bike and the trail.
This sums it up for me. I like just getting on the bike and pedalling and not having to worry about anything else.

Plus it's always more fun passing a guy going up a hill on the SS, sweeter when wearing a skirt!

Ackland

chats d'élevage
To me rigid is maybe going for too much purity rather than functionality. SS gearing has advantages, hardtails have advantages but for most riders having a sprung fork has advantages without too many real disadvantages (obviously argueable).

One of main riding buddies rides a fully rigid and only complains about the sore risk factor. Lock out your forks and see how you go in comparison... for a lot of riding you won't really notice a difference. Still stuff purity, suspension is handy up front.
For the ruts, suspension. I am too old to be hammered anymore than I need to be. For speed, single dedicated drop outs.

Geometry is the key.
Your arms have more suspension than a 100mm fork... use those elbowy pointy bits and bend them!

I can be just as fast and aggressive downhill on my rigid SS as I ever was on my 100mm hardtail.....

I was smoother on the 5" trail bike... but that's a different beast with fatter tyres.....

As for the SS... just spent 90 mins on mine and it was great.... so much power on a pinch climb compared to those geary bits that go clunk and ping

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Not sure on that one, wide open trails advantage the geared bike. But I think on technical tight trails with gradual climbs the SS is faster because you're forced to get out of the saddle and keep the cadence relatively high, while on a gear bike you're more likely to be spinning in the granny gear.
Sure, but on most race courses, there's a certain amount of fire trail usually. My favourite trail (shall remain nameless) is tight and technical, with a number of steep pinches and longer climbs (maybe 300-400m of fire trail in ~23km), and I'm generally pretty fast (compared to gearies) on it.

If I were to step out of the darkness and re-visit gears, I dare say I'd have a 1x3 or 1x4 with one bail-out gear and a taller gear or two for flatter, faster stuff.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
I'm currently on a 1 X 10 with 185mm and loving it. I would also like to add a ss hard tail with jump geometry for a laugh.

RDH

Likes Dirt
Why SS?

Why the hell not, I say. I started SSing because I had recently become aware of the concept and had an old steel HT that wasn't being ridden at the time. A week (and a $20 Torp7 order) later and I was off on the ol' Diamondback Topanga Comp running 32/16 and loving it. Never bothered to stop and think why to be honest. And the odd thing is that in the many KMs I have since put into SS, I have probably missed having gears no more than a handful of times. And only about twice have I instinctively gone to activate s shifter that wasn't there. Anyway, I haven't looked back since.

But seriously, some other points (most of which have been made perviously):

- It is simpler when you don't have to worry about what gear you're using and whether there is a better one available.
- As much as hate the slogans 'Shut up and pedal' and 'Pedal dammit', they pretty much encapsulate what SS is all about. If you want to go faster, pedal faster. If you want to get up the hill, pedal up the hill. If you want steam along the fire trail... ah, well you're pretty much fked there, actually. Have to dawdle.
- It's cheaper when you don't have expensive f/r mech and clusters to buy/break/repair. Also less to worry about and less to go wrong.
- It makes your legs strong as fk and gives you lovely, shapely calves.
- It is a fantastic feeling passing someone on a geared bike when you're riding SS. Even better if they are all carbon-fibred up
- But at the same time, you really do have the perfect excuse for not being as fast as others on the way up "Yeah, bit slow, single speed and all."
- Something I realised recently: I have competed in 2 SS races and on occasions I made the podium after crashing heavily (including one crash that required a hospital visit). It seems there are relatively few people who choose to compete in SS which greatly increases your competitive chances.

There are probably others but no more come to mind.

Anyway, SS is awesome. Get into it.

Mad Hatter

Likes Dirt
Just finished putting a Karate Monkey together for my wife (kid`s chose the colour of the bits and gave it to her for Mother`s Day).
She loves it and can`t give any other reason than it makes her smile. The smile on her dial says it all.
It may not be as fast as a geared bike, or as comfy as a ride with 100mm of plushness, but anything that can make you feel as good as she does has got to be a good thing.
We still have geared bikes (quite nice ones at that) but the fully rigid steel framed SS get a hell of a lot more use.
Just put it down to smile factor.
Cheers
MH

Knut

Troll hunter
A point not yet made:

In the milder months of the year when the Winter Olympics and Inter Winter are the gateway for MudFest 2000... Single speeds go good.

softek

Likes Dirt
A point not yet made:

In the milder months of the year when the Winter Olympics and Inter Winter are the gateway for MudFest 2000... Single speeds go good.
Hey Knut, have you heard this famous quote? "Shocks and gears are for girls"

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Ok, so I want to give SS'ing a go. Where to now? I have an old alloy 26er that may benefit from the SS treatment. How do I work out gears and get the right chain tension? I'd rather not use a tensioner and the frame has normal quick release drop outs. What is a good starting gear for a 26er?

Knut

Troll hunter
Saw a rainbow tee a few years back with the caption " Gears are Gay".

I rode Mt Beauty 6 hour solo on a rigid single. That wasn't too bad. But the Gravity was too much. The brake ruts were balls. After that suspension front. But the rigid has it's applications like Sesame Street and Kurrajong.