Wider tyre up front or behind?

LoveB

Likes Dirt
just a quick question, I've got some 1.9's and 2.1 and one 2.2 tyre laying around..

I've always run the same size front and back but I knwo some people run different sizes. So which is which? do I have the wider tyre up front or on the back? thanks guys!

rone

Eats Squid
Fatter tyre at the front. It probably won't make much difference for the majority of the time, but in extreme cornering situations it is preferable to have more grip at the front.

Understeer sucks.

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Fatter tyre at the front. It probably won't make much difference for the majority of the time, but in extreme cornering situations it is preferable to have more grip at the front.

Understeer sucks.
Thank you. Same theory I had in mind. My cousins bike had 1.9's at the rear and 2.2 up front. and it would indeed suck to understeer into a tree or ditch lol (not that I think I'd go fast enough for that anyway)thanks

outtacontrol

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Definitely bigger bag on front. Front does all the steering. For the same reason, it also helps to have a more aggressive tread pattern on the front, and faster rolling on the rear.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
all the above is true. didn't stop me running a 2.1" Speciailzed Captain Control on front and 2.25" Kenda Nevegal on the back for 4 months and having awesome fun in Canada - i needed more breaking tread on the back for those steep wet rooty sections!

allan.taylor64

Likes Dirt
Yeah deffenatly wider at the front, i once was doing some testing with a narrower at the front in an xc race and i understeared and died -_-

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Yeah deffenatly wider at the front, i once was doing some testing with a narrower at the front in an xc race and i understeared and died -_-
O_O spirits are posting on rotorburn O_O

lol thanks guys!!

btw bit off topic, anyone know where I can get a valve that connects my shock pump to the shock? its so annoying evreytime I take it off the air gushes out lol

redbruce

Eats Squid
As a counter point, I used to run a 2.1 up front and a 2.3 at the back of my hardtail.

Running 30psi front and rear (used to have to run 35psi on the earlier 2.1 rear) gave a bit more give in the rear to soften the harsh ride of my (2004) giant XTC frame and save my legs a bit on longer rides..

flamin'trek

Likes Bikes and Dirt
btw bit off topic, anyone know where I can get a valve that connects my shock pump to the shock? its so annoying evreytime I take it off the air gushes out lol
aren't they designed for that? says so in one of the manuals I have read. Only lets out hte air in the pump, not the shock. If you put it back on straight away and pressure has dropped it's from the reconnect, not the disconnect.

LoveB

Likes Dirt
Can you watch over me while I ride??? lol

I'll ahve to fiddle with this shock pump. The last one that I used had an adaptor that didnt let any air gush out.

My shock did seem to lose air as well. So I dont know if somethings wrong considering I got it bnew. D:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Front traction is the most important because as soon as you loose the front the rear follows and sends you into the ground, so I run a wider, more aggressive tyre on the front and a faster tyre on the rear and just let it skip or drift around. I typically run a 2.35" on the front and a 2.1" on the back. The front is at a slightly lower pressure than the rear as well for extra grip and because pinch flats are less likely as there's less weight over the front of the bike.