Wiggle

cheif_m

Likes Dirt
possibly stupid, possible not, but what is the difference between wiggle.com.au and wiggle.com
is it simply that the australian one is simply the same thing with a .au, or are they separate entities, just under one banner?

reason being is im tossing up to buy some xt brakes that are the same on both sites, and was wondering if wiggle.com.au gave more money back home in aus?

driftking

Wheel size expert
yes they are the same site. When you are on the wiggle.com page it will at times bring up a banner down the bottom saying you can shop at wiggle.com.au

As for the money, as a franchise there would be some money going back to the original place but the owner of the store/warehouse profit you would expect been Australian would contribute to their life here in Australia and therefore put money into our economy. Unless its not a franchise and it is in fact just another warehouse/store that is run by employees through wiggle. In that case Id expect regardless where you buy, the store/warehouse workers will be on the same wage and it wont matter. So it depends how the store was established.

This is my expectation could be wrong but seems logical.

Last edited:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
possibly stupid, possible not, but what is the difference between wiggle.com.au and wiggle.com
is it simply that the australian one is simply the same thing with a .au, or are they separate entities, just under one banner?

reason being is im tossing up to buy some xt brakes that are the same on both sites, and was wondering if wiggle.com.au gave more money back home in aus?
It's a UK store, with a number of domain names... there is a wiggle.com, a wiggle.com.fr, .es, .jp, etc, etc...

Rumor has it they have warehouse space in WA somewhere, however everything I've ever had shipped has come from the UK (quicker then I can send a letter from home to my office mind you); they are however starting to ship Helmets with Australian Standards stickers free to Australia which might suggest the rumor has some truth to it.

At the end of the day if you buy the brakes here you are paying about 4 middlemen for the same thing; none of which are likely to provide good service!

driftking

Wheel size expert
It's a UK store, with a number of domain names... there is a wiggle.com, a wiggle.com.fr, .es, .jp, etc, etc...

Rumor has it they have warehouse space in WA somewhere, however everything I've ever had shipped has come from the UK (quicker then I can send a letter from home to my office mind you); they are however starting to ship Helmets with Australian Standards stickers free to Australia which might suggest the rumor has some truth to it.

At the end of the day if you buy the brakes here you are paying about 4 middlemen for the same thing; none of which are likely to provide good service!
Whats the point of having multiple domain names, more so when their wiggle site asks if you want to shop at your countries domain, are they shipping from within said country or regardless of which site you buy are you still getting the item from the one warehouse?

semms really pointless and a waste of money to redirect people to other domains when it makes no difference

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Whats the point of having multiple domain names, more so when their wiggle site asks if you want to shop at your countries domain, are they shipping from within said country or regardless of which site you buy are you still getting the item from the one warehouse?

semms really pointless and a waste of money to redirect people to other domains when it makes no difference
Different products sell in different countries. So the suggested items that come up in Aussie version are different to the English version. More targeted advertising is the main advantage.

udi

swiss cheese
It makes plenty of difference, many consumers are still warming up to online shopping, and a domain extension that matches their country increases perceived reliability / trustworthiness. Pretty typical internet marketing stuff. It also tailors currency and taxes to match, so there's some use to seasoned online shoppers also.

As said above the gear still comes from the UK (so no, none of your money is staying here).

Mail Man

Likes Dirt
Different products sell in different countries. So the suggested items that come up in Aussie version are different to the English version. More targeted advertising is the main advantage.

It has a lot to do with Google Search Engine Optimisation. A search result from and Australian IP will actually favour Australian domains over .com domains if and only if other optimisation techniques are the same. It is just another way to bump up your results. As for a waste of money, domains are quite cheap and a company will usually buy all related domains in all popular country endings just to make sure no competitors buy them and benefit from their SEO strategy.

0psi

Eats Squid
Would this also affect warranty claims and returns?

Wiggle.co.uk, then send back to UK?

Wiggle.com.au, then send "locally"?
I doubt it would make a difference, pretty sure it would all go back to the UK as Wiggle would have bought their stock from the European distributor so that's who the warranty would go through.

I recently bought a few bits from wiggle.com.au and I noticed that they had cycling events on the site that were in NSW and Vic. I think another reason they go with .au .fr etc. is it makes it easier to remove brands that have distribution restrictions like Felt and Mavic.

mjb123

Likes Bikes
Wiggle prices

Sorry I can't remember the specific item but I am fairly confident the prices between the AU and UK sites were different

wavike

Likes Dirt
Some banks/credit cards charge for OS purchases. The aussie site may transact locally and save having the extra charge.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Actually, it's where the charge is put through. So if wiggle put it into a uk bank account in aud, the credit card company will still charge 1.5% on the aud amount as an overseas transaction.

Fr wiggle.uk, it's cheaper to pay in pounds or euros, they rape you on the auto conversion to aud (same as crc). Generally your bank will use the raw interbank transfer rate , then charge you the 1.5%. This is usually better than having the commission hidden inside the exchange rate.