Wild Mersey, Tassie's next big MTB project

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
I see you commented @Stredda

Up to $2,000,000 bridge winner.

Faark... that would build a lot of trail.

View attachment 401336
Not much point building alot of trails if the trails stop at the river espically if the trail is from one town to another town. Or whats the definition of insanity. Building bridge over river to see said bridge wiped out again by floods because we didn't spend the right money on the bridge.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Not much point building alot of trails if the trails stop at the river espically if the trail is from one town to another town. Or whats the definition of insanity. Building bridge over river to see said bridge wiped out again by floods because we didn't spend the right money on the bridge.
Well 3rd time lucky.

Is there trail on both sides of the bridge ? Or does a new trail need built to join to existing trail to the bridge location ?

birddog69

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well 3rd time lucky.

Is there trail on both sides of the bridge ? Or does a new trail need built to join to existing trail to the bridge location ?
Trail on both sides. Great tracks on Latrobe side. Then cross the bridge for 11-12 kms of trail through the bush to Railton. Then onto Sheffield for more trails
Stop in Sheffield for lunch and then retrace your route.
A great day out. Yvonne and I did this last March . We waded the river as it was quite low and a warm day.
Bridge is a great enhancement.
You would love it!

bigdamo

Likes Dirt
Well 3rd time lucky.

Alot of trails on both side of the bridge. The railton rattler is just but one of many good ones. Alot of people have been asking when the bridge will be finished. Now there are alot of happy people.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
I see you commented @Stredda

Up to $2,000,000 bridge winner.

Faark... that would build a lot of trail.

View attachment 401336
It was $700K for the bridge, although I had heard that BridgePro made a bit of a loss on the project.

And then you have the other end of the spectrum in NZ. 72metre suspension bridge across a gully, built in 2016 at Makara Peak just for MTB to get to the top for max descending...
View attachment 401342
NZ have dozens of big suspension bridges just for bikes and walkers all over the country.

Alot of trails on both side of the bridge. The railton rattler is just but one of many good ones. Alot of people have been asking when the bridge will be finished. Now there are alot of happy people.
Parks and Wildlife are making it difficult for the council to build the track up to it on the northern side. Even though there are trails right above the bridge that didn't require anything more than a GPS alignment, Parks are wanting a geotechnical survey, engineering drawings, drainage plans, you name it, all for 200m of track to lead up to the bridge, so even though the bridge was finished a month ago, we still can't use it. :(

Stredda

There is two new trails that have opened recently.
Raptor Ridge. A 10km adventure loop, with quite a solid climb, a great view at the top and pretty solid descent back to where you started.
1690153309137.png

Franky Flyer. A less techy option from the top of Back to School.
1690153462085.png

1690153365771.png

Stredda

How far is a KMKM?
It's twice as long as one KM :p

They need to proofread the website. I've found quite a few a few mistakes. The had the physical effort of Raptor Ridge as Easy. It's a 10km loop and 3/4 of that is a climb and a pretty solid one too.