Wildside 2012

monc

Likes Dirt
training? just getting back on the bike after a nasty virus (note to self, don't race a muddy 24 hour when sick!)

stu-2

Likes Dirt
is anyone going to be in or around Devonport a few days before the race?

looking for a couple of rides as i will be staying at the inlaws and don't know where the local trails are.

we get of the boat on the 25th so would be keen for a ride on the 26th

Cheers Jimmy
Hi Jimmy, as chopboy said Kelcy Tier has some trails, local cross country course is at Stubbs Rd, Turners Beach 10 to 15 minutes away

timbig

Cannon Fodder
Tyres

Hi All,

Thanks for all the great info in the Thread. I have just purchased a new 29er for wildside and the training is going well. The new bike came with 'Schwalbe Rocket Ron's' however got a flat on its second ride in the Grampians. I'm going to go tubeless; however what tyres do you recommend for the event?

Thanks

Tim

frensham

Likes Dirt
Hi All,

Thanks for all the great info in the Thread. I have just purchased a new 29er for wildside and the training is going well. The new bike came with 'Schwalbe Rocket Ron's' however got a flat on its second ride in the Grampians. I'm going to go tubeless; however what tyres do you recommend for the event?

Thanks

Tim
I am assuming you are sticking with one tyre for the whole race? There's a whole world of choice out there. If you want Schwalbe, then I would suggest the Nobby Nic Evo triple compound. As long as it is a 2011 tyre it will be tubeless ready (just add sealant). The Maxxis Ignitor would also be a good tyre for Wildside - they do make a UST version too. The Wildside site are recommending Kenda Nevegals but this is only because Kenda are a sponsor. I am doing Wildside on a 29er and my tyre of choice is the Nobby Nic.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
I used Rocket Rons last time (non tubeless version set up tubeless), with no problems (apart from some sealing issues on the first stage).

timbig

Cannon Fodder
Cheers. I am thinking Nobby Nic at the moment as I used to run one on the front on my old bike. I will bring the Rocket Rons along in case the conditions are better and drier than expected.

chopboy

Squid
Weather & tyres

long range forecast says it's going to be wet so you might want to pack your gumboots for this year's Wildside, and maybe a set of mud tyres.

This is Tassie however, so take weather forecasts with a grain of salt.

frensham

Likes Dirt
long range forecast says it's going to be wet so you might want to pack your gumboots for this year's Wildside, and maybe a set of mud tyres.

This is Tassie however, so take weather forecasts with a grain of salt.
So, which bike shop sells gumboots with cleats?

LurvsMTB

Likes Bikes
I'm bummed I'm not doing this ride in 2012... ah well.

Word of warning, if wet.... First race stage, the last 5km is littered with lakes in the middle of the road. Going around is slower, take the plunge, put a snorkel on and get your butt behind the saddle and ride through 'em! It is thrilling to know whether or not you will make it through half wet or fully soaked in silty, red water!! Better still, sit behind some poor soul who is the guinea pig, if he/she falls in, take the 'other' line!!

Have fun, it is an awesome event.

Personal favourate stage... Stirling Valley, extremely closely followed by Granville Harbour. Trails and scenary are spectacular.

For Wildside veterans... what's your favourite stage/day??

Cheers, take plenty of spare parts - inner and outer cables, grease, wet lube! And prebook your ride in for a post race service at your LBS!

Lurvs

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Personal favourate stage... Stirling Valley, extremely closely followed by Granville Harbour. Trails and scenary are spectacular.

For Wildside veterans... what's your favourite stage/day??
Ditto! Two stages where if you're not a mtber you're going to lose a lot of time. The single descent down from the saddle between Mt Black and Mt Murchison.is out of control fun. One of the best descents I've ever done.