Wildside

PrOd

Likes Dirt
Am seriously considering entering Wildside and would like to hear from people who have previously done it. I've seen the articles and photos of the past events. Is it as good as it looks?

I'd be coming from Sydney and bringing the wife and combining it with a holiday. Has anyone actually figured out whether it'd be cheaper to fly and hire a car vs driving to Melbourne and taking the spirit of tasmania (which seems to cost a fair bit)? Anyone know if there is enough height clearance to have bikes on roof racks on the ship?

Can anyone suggest the best places to stay each night during the race? (I'm looking for motels/hotels rather than camping). What do people do for bike security, i.e. do the accomodation places let you have the bikes in the rooms?

With local mechanical support do people bother taking much in the way of tools and spares (especially important if flying to keep weight low)?

Any other info I should be aware of?

Pussa

Likes Bikes
Yes it is as good as it looks although I've not entered any other multi day - multi stage races to compare it with anything.

Our family recently went over to Vic (Otway Odyssey) and we took the boat. It is expensive but is probably the only practical solution. You have your own car (packed with tools, spares etc), getting racks/bikes etc onto a hire car would be a hassle not to mention your hire car probably isn't insured for some of the places you'll be taking it. There are height restrictions on the boat, but only such that you need to let them know when booking and they make sure your car goes on the right deck in the right spot for the height. I don't think it costs any extra.

Most insterstate people I spoke too traveled with their own car from memory.

As for places to stay, it depends how often you want to pack up your family and move them between accommodation. The traveling distances between some locations are not that long, so don't be too disappointed if you have to stay a day ahead or behind a destination. There are plenty of accommodation choices at:
Cradle Mountain (Cosy Cabins, Highlander, Cradle Mt Lodge, Wilderness Village, Cradle Mt Chateau)

Tullah: Tullah Lakeside challet

Zeehan: Heemskirk

Strahan: So much accommodation here. Two cabin parks are Strahan Cabin Park and Island Cabins. Google the rest!

Don't camp unless you have to, everyone I know that's done it doesn't or won't do it again. Organise your accommodation well in advance (mine was booked a couple of months ago). Accommodation in these part doesn't cope well with the 400+ riders and support crews coming through (it will start being picked up rapidly from tomorrow). Bike security isn't a problem, people are so relaxed here. Lock it up where/when you can and you should be able to keep it inside most accommodation, providing there is room. I was able to keep my bike inside last time.

There is good local mechanical support, some of my friends utilised it last time with good results. However, most people try and take many spares and tools. I understand that some people bring lots of tires as terrain and weather variations make tyre choice important.

PrOd

Likes Dirt
Thanks. I did a bit more of a search and there doesn't seem to be a lot of accomodation options in Tullah and Zeehan. Are these not really touristy towns? I have to be a little bit concious of this if I'm bringing the wife. If Zeehan is full where would you recommend? Queenstown seems to be next closest but according to google maps is 30 mins away.

Pussa

Likes Bikes
Correct there is not a lot of accommodation in those towns and they don't have much to offer tourists. Zeehan is a small mining town and Tullah used to be a Hydro-Electric township.

Keep yourself mostly at Cradle mountain to begin with (first two nights) and then move onto Strahan maybe, depends how much you want to travel. I wouldn't consider Queenstown either.

akashra

Eats Squid
I was going to do it - of the two people I asked about it who had raced it before, one told me it's worth doing, the other said "it's shit, don't bother". But after seeing the $1800ish price tag after factoring in accommodation, plus flights, and with Nationals and TDU two weeks before... looks like I'm giving it a miss. I'd rather own a house one day :p

And besides, I've been to Strahan before - it wasn't pleasant.

pliskin

Likes Dirt
well have entered.
had a friend ring the organizer this afternoon, apparently over 200 spots had been sold already. expect this to sell out very freaking soon .
just hope my entry goes through.

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
Did it in 2008 and loved it. Was a great race although not really _that_ hard - 230km in four days wasn't too bad although, I'm told 2008 was one of the dryest races thay've had - could be interesting in the mud!

My call is don't stay in Zeehan - not pleasant. We stay in cradle mtn night 1 and 2 and then Strahan. Its about 30-45 mins away from the start for day 3 but the start times are pretty civilised so not a drama.

We also found the best option for us was ferry - leave sydney Thursday morning to catch the thursday evening ferry. Arrives Friday and then its a pretty easy drive to cradle mtn Friday, overnight and then ready to race Saturday.

It is pretty exe but some of the most spectacular riding I've done.

Entered SS this year... should be interesting...

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
It is possibly the hardest stage race on your running gear. You need the heaviest tyres. And some serious cleaning gear. The locals brought a hose with them to clean their bikes after each stage as there are often taps but not hoses. I'm pretty keen to do this one again, will be camping it up...

Pizzaz

Likes Dirt
will be camping it up...
lol

Red's Bruno impersonation aside (will we see a repeat of the mankini on the spray tunnel TT section I wonder?) - I'd be wanting to make sure that I had hot showers available... only wet(ish) day last year was the final section on Day 2... I just remember riding the 5km into Zeehan, into a screaming headwind, ambient temp of about 6 degrees.

Then finding the hotel had lost our booking. Not fun.

In general the race was colder than I thought it would be...

PrOd

Likes Dirt
It is possibly the hardest stage race on your running gear. You need the heaviest tyres.
I know that the weather can be dicey on the tassie west coast. Are you referring to mud when you say it's hard on running gear? And heavy tyres for sidewall protection?

rsclio

Likes Dirt
How's it compare to MTB?

I'm considering doing either this or the MTB as my 1st multi day stage race
Who has done both and what's the comparison between the 2 in terms of $$$ and cycling. I like the sound of MTB doing an all inclusive (nearly) package from a logistical viewpoint at least.

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Entered SS

I've Entered this one on the Single speed 32-18 methinks.
I just have to lighten up the bike ALOT.

RED_RACER

Likes Dirt
I know that the weather can be dicey on the tassie west coast. Are you referring to mud when you say it's hard on running gear? And heavy tyres for sidewall protection?
I went past Sid Taberlay!

When he slashed his tyres twice hence the heavy duty tyres recommended and tubeless!

The guys down in Tassie are crazy. I remember before the event started we had to cross a stream to get to the marshaling area. I carried my bike across the stream as the locals hit into full on. I thought these guys are nuts however, the race seemed to cross every creek in the area, and some were chest height, maybe head height for some! So you need good oil and good bike cleaner. I took my chain cleaner. I think it took about 30mins to get the sand out of the chain after the last stage. But how good is helicopter!