will 7" forks destroy my frame?

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
hey guys and girls,

Can someone please tell me if putin 7" Sherman Slider on my 06 norco bigfoot will destroy the neck of the bike? how easily will it break? it should only have to last me for a couple of months and i'm a pretty shit rider so i dont know if i should by them or not?

any ways... thanks for the help

Mills

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
yeah they will make your bike explode :0

no they will be fine the manik had 7 inch marzocchi forks as stock and its the same frame as the big foot basically i have a manik and the frame hasn't been destroyed yet

Hamo

Likes Dirt
I think the bigfoot frame is different from the manik frame.... But it should say somewhere on the norco site maybe what sized forks it's warrented with.. that's generally a good guide to whether it will be good for your headtube or not..
I'm not a norco person so I don't know for sure.... But I just think...

NH_

Likes Bikes and Dirt
bigfoots a different frame to a manik, i personally wouldnt go putting triples on any hardtail even if they are warranted for it, it will just make the turning and jumping of it feel unco

Derek Yates

Soul Rider
Don't Do It

The Bigfoot frame is different to the Manik frames. They were not designed with long travel forks in mind. Changing you spec will void the warranty and could lead to serious injury if anything fails.

None of the other parts on the Bigfoot were built around the sort of riding that a 7" fork is meant for. You are inviting troubles all round if you go down that path.

Cheers,

Derek

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
hmmm, well that wasn't really the answerr i was hoping for:D . i'll probly still by them coz there only going to last me about a month and a half or something before i buy a dual frame.

Thanks to everyone who posted

TransitionPete

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The Bigfoot frame is different to the Manik frames. They were not designed with long travel forks in mind. Changing you spec will void the warranty and could lead to serious injury if anything fails.

None of the other parts on the Bigfoot were built around the sort of riding that a 7" fork is meant for. You are inviting troubles all round if you go down that path.

Cheers,

Derek
Agreed

hmmm, well that wasn't really the answerr i was hoping for:D . i'll probly still by them coz there only going to last me about a month and a half or something before i buy a dual frame.

Eerrggh:

Save ya money dude and buy the forks and dually frame in one hit.Derek from Norco Australia said to not do it.I think he would know alot more about the bike then you do mate.

My 0.02 $

pylet_thekid

Likes Dirt

Your kinding, right, Derek,the guy from norco gave you the right advice and your still getting them.

You will void warranty,crack you frame.

bodgie

Likes Dirt
yeah the bigfoot isnt exactly the same frame as the other shore hardtails, the others have a reinforced headtube and the bigfoot doesnt, well thats what the guy at my lbs told me anyways

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
Your kinding, right, Derek,the guy from norco gave you the right advice and your still getting them.

You will void warranty,crack you frame.
not to mention that, you wil lbe the laughing stock of your entired local cycling community. not only will you be running DC forks on a hardtail, you're going to be running manitou DC forks :p

DownhillerDeano

Doesn't want a custom title!
not to mention that, you wil lbe the laughing stock of your entired local cycling community. not only will you be running DC forks on a hardtail, you're going to be running manitou DC forks :p

My mate has sherman sliders on a rampage frame. Looks rather sweet actually. Hasnt had any troubles with them and has been doing heaps of large stairs gaps/drops etc

roxy12

Fat Tyre Flyers
My mate has sherman sliders on a rampage frame. Looks rather sweet actually. Hasnt had any troubles with them and has been doing heaps of large stairs gaps/drops etc
so your saying it couldnt happen:rolleyes:

fatigue........tends to wear things down, just because it dosnt happen right away dosnt mean it wont happen.

avablast

Likes Dirt
although he did say the frame only had to last a month before he went dually, but i wouldnt be putting long travel forks on a hardtail dc or sc anyway.

eerrggh

Likes Dirt
i'm only bying forks coz the forks that came with the bike are farked, i hardly even rode and they've turned to shit. When i bought them they topped out so the first thing i did was e-mail norco and they said live with it. so i'm gunna by forks, then a frame will be mine in may. if my frame brakes before then i just wont ride. It's gotta be better then riding with forks that feel like there going to snap wen i pedal along flat roads.

Jon

Not Grip, OK... So don't ask!
What are your current single crown forks ? A lot of norco hardtails have Marzocchi forks as oem gear and alot of these are rebound adjustable ,sounds like you have either a loose headset or forks with not enough rebound dampening.By the way if Norco said dont do it ,just be patient as then you will have 2 bikes:D
cheers jon

Suprez

Likes Dirt
i'm only bying forks coz the forks that came with the bike are farked, i hardly even rode and they've turned to shit. When i bought them they topped out so the first thing i did was e-mail norco and they said live with it. so i'm gunna by forks, then a frame will be mine in may. if my frame brakes before then i just wont ride. It's gotta be better then riding with forks that feel like there going to snap wen i pedal along flat roads.
So let me see here, possibly cracking your frame and not being able to ride at all is better than putting up with the stock forks and still being able to ride, until you get a duallie in May? I don't quite see the logic there... :rolleyes:

Dicky

Punter God
Fit the DC forks to your hardtail, convert it to singlespeed, then add a pair of 12" rise ape hanger bars.

That's about all it'll be good for. ;)

Hamo

Likes Dirt
Fit the DC forks to your hardtail, convert it to singlespeed, then add a pair of 12" rise ape hanger bars.

That's about all it'll be good for. ;)
CHOPPERR

But yeah.. I'm sure theres something you can do with your current forks... take it to your lbs.
You can ride along feeling like your forks will snap... or you can ride along feeling like your frame will snap... if your forks are already farked then who cares if they break... but you can still sell your bigfoot frame for some money.

Get your lbs to put someheavier oil in your current forks if they are dirtjams... that fixes the topping out problem.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Yeah but we came to the conclusion on the previous page that the Manik frame (which is one spec lower then the Rampage???...?) is different to the BigFoot. I reckon you should hold out mate. It will cost you less in the long run and may avoid some harmful injury.