Will a new bike make me ride?

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Hi everyone... it's been a long time since I've posted here. I am a born again newbie.

Long story short, I live 5 minutes from my local tracks, yet have only accessed them twice in 12 months. It is (my excuses) because of a variety of reasons such as studying at university full time, working full time, and raising a family... also full time.

But... my kids are growing up slowly (2 and 4), and I am actually taking this summer off from studying - which means I will have 4 months of free time - and daylight savings starts in about 2 weeks! So plenty of time to ride.

Anyway... I turn 30 tomorrow and my lovely wife has left it up to me to decide on a present. I am thinking maybe this is the time to replace my 2012 Giant Reign? Have bikes changed much in 6 years? Am I stupid to buy a new bike considering I have only ridden twice in 12 months?

I should be studying for my exams right now...

Cheers for your input everyone.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A new bike will solve all your problems. This wife sounds like a keeper. If you want me to low ball you for the reign let me know.

Bryce88

Likes Dirt
Agree,
Need more info on where you are and trail type? A 6 year old AM bike is barely a modern trail bike due to changing trails
I live in Orange, 5 minutes from the Lake Canobolas Mountain bike park, and about 15 minutes from Kinross Forest. The trails are mostly single track, fast and flowing with some easy uphills. I know if I were to get a new bike it would not be another AM bike... or Giant (happy Moorey?).

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I live in Orange, 5 minutes from the Lake Canobolas Mountain bike park, and about 15 minutes from Kinross Forest. The trails are mostly single track, fast and flowing with some easy uphills. I know if I were to get a new bike it would not be another AM bike... or Giant (happy Moorey?).
Fast and flowing for me ATM falls into the 100-130mm travel range.
I'm currently partial to Norco (Owning a Sight) so either an Optic carbon or aluminium

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Buy an ebike, you'll feel like you'll have time for a cheeky run. Then when you're back in it go back go to normal riding.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi everyone... it's been a long time since I've posted here. I am a born again newbie.

Long story short, I live 5 minutes from my local tracks, yet have only accessed them twice in 12 months. It is (my excuses) because of a variety of reasons such as studying at university full time, working full time, and raising a family... also full time.

But... my kids are growing up slowly (2 and 4), and I am actually taking this summer off from studying - which means I will have 4 months of free time - and daylight savings starts in about 2 weeks! So plenty of time to ride.

Anyway... I turn 30 tomorrow and my lovely wife has left it up to me to decide on a present. I am thinking maybe this is the time to replace my 2012 Giant Reign? Have bikes changed much in 6 years? Am I stupid to buy a new bike considering I have only ridden twice in 12 months?

I should be studying for my exams right now...

Cheers for your input everyone.
Something that helped me get out more often is having other people to ride with. That way before the weekend when I ask someone if they want to go it locks me in to do it.
Do you have anyone to go with?

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ha ha, boner killer would look better as a name than any giant graphics

Not sure man, sounds like you are 50/50 at best. Something something people seek things out for the reason they lack it. I wouldn't bet a fancy bike on it.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Agree,
Need more info on where you are and trail type? A 6 year old AM bike is barely a modern trail bike due to changing trails
how are trails changing? dirt and rocks will always be just that, dirt and rocks!
get what you feel comfortable on, what is available and what you can afford
if you are looking to upgrade as your skill develop, get something that is still going to be easy to get parts for
26" stuff is getting hard to find, but still out there if you want to put the time in to search, if not, go for a more modern platform like a 27.5" enduro rig
good luck, and don't tell the Mrs how much you have spent

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
A wife endorsed purchase is a nice plus. If you need a new steed to rekindle your interest in riding then a new bike might help.

If that itch doesn't need scratching and you are happy with riding for what it is instead of needing new bling to get re-interested then dust off the Giant and ride like it is 2012.

I bet @pinkpoodle would do a good lowball on the Giant.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
And you wonder why I put you on ‘ignore’ :confused:
Sure, rode twice this year so not a regular thing yet that might not be worth throwing $$$ at yet........ But I hear you.....Hard to let go of a nice upgrade offer from Mrs :)

moorey

call me Mia
Sure, rode twice this year so not a regular thing yet that might not be worth throwing $$$ at yet........ But I hear you.....Hard to let go of a nice upgrade offer from Mrs :)

If you had an boring old wife, I’m sure you’d ‘service’ her less than a flash new one.
Just sayin.

stirk

Burner
To answer your question, probably not. If the reign feels good ride it. If the sizing and style of the current steed is way off then maybe borrow another different bike and see if the enjoyment is enough to grab your interest again.

I'd still ride my crappy old hardtail with v-brakes just because it gets me out on the trail.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
If you had an boring old wife, I’m sure you’d ‘service’ her less than a flash new one.
Just sayin.
Point taken, bling gets fondled more often.

A service makes me think of a lube or oil change though.

slowmick

38-39"
Bloke, i'm not sure a new bike will help. You've not been riding, not been living vicariously through others (rotorburn), it seems your life has been filled with other things. Have you actually missed it? Would buying a new bike guilt you into riding?

I have a 21 month old. I have ridden very few times in the last 2 years with renovating, family and work. It is hard to get motivated to ride. There always something else that you "should" be doing (a mental game i struggle with). Going back on the trails with no bike fitness sucks.

Does your bike have a dropper? Spending $200 bucks on a dropper may breathe enough new life into your current steed to make getting back to it a little easier / more enjoyable. I think if your not sure you may regret buyign a new bike. Although the looking is half the fun of a new bike.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Could you incorporate riding into your work/uni/life duties?

There is absolutely no way I could justify any of the bikes I've owned if I wasn't one them nearly every day.

I've just got the bonus of off road bush riding on the direct route home.