Will boost front hub and forks to suit build stronger wheel?

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I'm stick at work and can't research it.
Will fox forks with wider boost hub have less dish on disk side and therefore build a stronger more symmetrical wheel?
I don't want to run semi fat tyres, just would rather a stronger front wheel.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Won't so much be a more symmetrical wheel, because it will still be dished to accommodate the disc. But the wider-spaced flanges will increase the bracing angle of the spokes, which will aid strength.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Yes in theory, but gives me the shits that stuff changes so quick, what next, Super-Boost, Extra-Boost, Mo-Boost, Turbo-Boost... why jump straight to 150mm (which was already a DH spacing) and save the bullshit.

99_FGT

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yes, in theory. But its 5mm (each side) out versus a spoke length of 250mm
A well built wheel on narrow hubs will be stronger than a factory wheel on boost.

Sent from my SM-T710 using Tapatalk

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
https://nsmb.com/articles/super-boost-plus-better/ it has been suggested we go straight to 157mm
It will be done in increments mate, just to screw more cash from us, 150 ultra boost in 2018, 154 mega boost in 2019, 157 fully sick boost in 2020. In 2025 my FatBike hubs will be standard MTB.

I purposely bought a 2017 Evil Following knowing a new 2018 BOOST version is being released because I have 4 sets of 142mm wheels.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
It turns out that the bike industry is under the control of the reptilian master race! Here is one of their spokespersons (??? Autocorrect...) explaining the RnD to market process:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lEsN4-XLE2k

I'm still trying to understand why forks switched to 100mm spacing? Why a 15mm axle? Why no more 20x110 outside dh? Why choose to make weaker products rather than stronger??? Grams man...grams...

PEMBS

Squid
While in theory the boost wheel would be stronger, strength will be more affected by the quality of the wheel components and the build itself. Save your cash and buy some decent wheels!

No Skid Marks

While in theory the boost wheel would be stronger, strength will be more affected by the quality of the wheel components and the build itself. Save your cash and buy some decent wheels!
Sorry but that's a given. Buying new, so it'll be the same price either way. So apples for apples, is boost 5mm wider a side or 10mm on disk side? In other words are both sides wider from center or just disk side?

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I'm still trying to understand why forks switched to 100mm spacing? Why a 15mm axle? Why no more 20x110 outside dh? Why choose to make weaker products rather than stronger??? Grams man...grams...
Because the bike industry wants to move towards full vertical integration. They don't want you to swap out parts for better ones, you should have bought the higher spec one to start with. Seeing that motorbikes share zero compatibility and bicycles are fast catching up in terms of price, they are getting closer to their reptilian goals.

tasty.dirt74

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry but that's a given. Buying new, so it'll be the same price either way. So apples for apples, is boost 5mm wider a side or 10mm on disk side? In other words are both sides wider from center or just disk side?
Enter Boost 148 and Boost 110. These two hubs move hub flanges outward. By moving the hub flanges outwards, spoke angles increase, creating a more stable base. So Boost standards maintain the ratio of spoke length to bracing angle seen in 26” wheels resulting in, “26” stiffness from a 29” wheel.”

http://reviews.mtbr.com/tech-talk-boost-148-explained

To me that reads that both flanges get spaced apart evenly... perhaps?

I had this quandary when using roval 142+ hubs and trying to figure out if i had to shim the disc to fit???/

Last edited:

No Skid Marks

Enter Boost 148 and Boost 110. These two hubs move hub flanges outward. By moving the hub flanges outwards, spoke angles increase, creating a more stable base. So Boost standards maintain the ratio of spoke length to bracing angle seen in 26” wheels resulting in, “26” stiffness from a 29” wheel.”

http://reviews.mtbr.com/tech-talk-boost-148-explained

To me that reads that both flanges get spaced apart evenly... perhaps?

I had this quandary when using roval 142+ hubs and trying to figure out if i had to shim the disc to fit???/
Guess I'll have to just google some hub specs for lacing and see if spokes are same length on each side or still different.
by logic you'd think they'd be simetrical as the brakes should still be in same spot in relation to fork, so flange and rotor mount on brake side of hub should just move over.
or do the steeper or shorter spokes make for better braking or durability?

Last edited:

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Because the bike industry wants to move towards full vertical integration. They don't want you to swap out parts for better ones, you should have bought the higher spec one to start with. Seeing that motorbikes share zero compatibility and bicycles are fast catching up in terms of price, they are getting closer to their reptilian goals.
This is a point raised by Jose Gonzalez, Director of Suspension Development at Trek, in an interview he did with Vital MTB. With motorbikes there is only a handful of components that can be swapped out between different manufactures bikes. He thinks the bicycle industry will head this way as well.

For anyone interested, check out the VitalMTB Inside Line podcasts. Gives you a good insight into the higher end of industry.

Alo661

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Guess I'll have to just google some hub specs for lacing and see if spokes are same length on each side or still different.
by logic you'd think they'd be simetrical as the brakes should still be in same spot in relation to fork, so flange and rotor mount on brake side of hub should just move over.
or do the steeper or shorter spokes make for better braking or durability?
Still different. Front wise, the center of the rim still sits in the middle of the axle ends. With a Boost fork, both sides of the fork arch are increased from the center by 5mm, making the fork more prone to torsion (flexy) than non-boost. So the flanges of hub are increased outwards from the center of the hub 5mm.

Only Cannondales with AI offeset frames have rear wheels that use the same length spokes on both sides (depends on where the hub flanges are placed, but most are similar). This is achieved by taking the wheels center between the hub flanges, rather than the standard way of taking the center between the outer point of the axle. So with Boost (148), the center of the rim runs at 74mm in from each end of the axle. Could go into how to calculate the spoke length for a cannondale AI frame using any hub, but that's abit more complex.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
This is a point raised by Jose Gonzalez, Director of Suspension Development at Trek, in an interview he did with Vital MTB. With motorbikes there is only a handful of components that can be swapped out between different manufactures bikes. He thinks the bicycle industry will head this way as well.
Yeah mean he think this is the most profitable for Trek. Many bicycle parts already cost a lot for what they are (think about bearings and stuff) I'd hate to see the reaming if this ever happens.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Only Cannondales with AI offeset frames have rear wheels that use the same length spokes on both sides ....
Nup, not the only ones. By use of varied flange heights and sometimes rims with offset spoke beds, while not common has been done to achieve the same result. I know for starters Easton have built wheelsets that use one length spoke for the whole set.

No Skid Marks

Still different. Front wise, the center of the rim still sits in the middle of the axle ends. With a Boost fork, both sides of the fork arch are increased from the center by 5mm, making the fork more prone to torsion (flexy) than non-boost. So the flanges of hub are increased outwards from the center of the hub 5mm.

Only Cannondales with AI offeset frames have rear wheels that use the same length spokes on both sides (depends on where the hub flanges are placed, but most are similar). This is achieved by taking the wheels center between the hub flanges, rather than the standard way of taking the center between the outer point of the axle. So with Boost (148), the center of the rim runs at 74mm in from each end of the axle. Could go into how to calculate the spoke length for a cannondale AI frame using any hub, but that's abit more complex.
Wouldn't the brake positioning dictate its more logical to make a dish less front?
as for rear, it's on a Zerode Taniwha so single speed rear hub thanks to gearbox and therefore dishless anyway.