Windows Vista - NEED HELP!

Bike_Breaker

Likes Dirt
hey guys, well my computer has been playing up latley and my harddrive is slowly loosing space for some unkown reason(no im not filling it up). so i got a copy of 64-bit VISTA RC1 and while trying to install oit i have got the Blue screen of death (3 times), anyway my computer is a HP a1320a and it has 64-bit proccesor and all the other requirments so does anyone have any idea why this wont work? after the bar saying: "Loading windows files" goes along the screen i get a blue screen with white text about half way down saying "
STOP: 0x0000000c (00000000000c0.......) etc

any help would be apreciated!

cheers

Binaural

Eats Squid
Doesn't Windows have a support line to call or online support for their products?
1-800-my-nuts-your-chin ;)

Sounds like your hardware might be suspect, since the behaviour you describe is consistent with a hard drive with a lot of corrupted sectors. I've seen behavior like this twice before, the OS fails to install after mysterious problems, and after a day or two of messing around they finally failed properly.

Bike_Breaker

Likes Dirt
cheers guys, my RAM appears fine so i dont think it is that, i have looked around the net without much luck so im really stumped. Does anybody else have vista RC! installed and did it work easily?

Alec McJo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I heard you had to have a certain size graphics card, or video card, or something to run Vista... would that be the problem?

Binaural

Eats Squid
cheers guys, my RAM appears fine so i dont think it is that, i have looked around the net without much luck so im really stumped. Does anybody else have vista RC! installed and did it work easily?
Can you install XP on the same HD successfully?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
that sounds exactly like what happened to my bros PC...

Turns out the ide controler on the mainboard shat themselves and inturn munted the hard drives. He got a new Mainboard and HD. Prob solved.

Could be something else but it definately sounds like you've got issues with your hard disc.

jayrool

Squid
Vista is brand new and no doubt full of bugs (like most new MS products). This is what I would do:

1. Backup all your data if you haven't done this already.
  2. Reformat your HD.
  3. Clean install Windows XP and SP1&2
  4. Download a Utility program like Super Utilites 6 (from www.download.com)

Good luck!

bevsta

Likes Dirt
Also how much ram are you running?

Correct me if im wrong, But i heard on the wire that Vista needs at least 1gig of ram to run on? Like i said correct me if im wrong.

djdom

Likes Dirt

Correct me if im wrong, But i heard on the wire that Vista needs at least 1gig of ram to run on? Like i said correct me if im wrong.
no i think she runs on 512meg but like with xp it runs soo farking slow with the minim..good luck back up all your shit

Bike_Breaker

Likes Dirt

yeh, it has been said (by microsoft) that Vista requirers atleast 1gig (1024mb) of ram to run, but having said that my mate is running it on his pc with 512mb without any issues and as i am running 512mb DDR2 i shouldnt have any issues. thanx for your help though, im starting to get the idea that my ram my be dodgy because things have slowly been dying on my comp for a while so it might be related. ill trry and replace it asap and hope for te best.

but if anyone has any other ideas then keep em coming

cheers guys

Ben-e

Captain Critter!
I have been using my mates PC which has both XP and Vista installed, and i have to say that i still prefer XP - to me it seems like a more logical operation, doesnt crash nearly as much and its also compatible with most previous windows programs. This is a very exy PC too, with massive RAM and loads of disc space, so its clearly the program that is farking-up.