Winning National Rounds on a non-DH specific bike?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Personally I think a reign suits 95% of Australias DH tracks, its funny me and the guy at the lbs were having this convo just the other day, I ride and 04 atomik and I was saying 6" is more than enough for everything I have raced as of yet (that includes, YY and buller and the likes), and he totally agreed, he said Australias scene is fatastic but the tracks lack in 'meaness' he was commenting on how almost all the tracks in the UK (where he is from) have 10-15ft drops in the race runs, this is where a 8-10" DH specific bike comes in handy, but you just don't tend to see that in Australia at all, its not that our tracks are bad, not at all! I really enjoy the riding in Australia don't get me wrong, its just there is nothing to warrant the 'big rigs' out there really, I know that extra couple of inches definetly helps, but its not integral for riding here, I think the FR/extreme FR bikes will only become more popular. I also think good on him for doing it, I enjoy the YY on my bike, and in some places it seems to handle better than my mates norco with 9" rear. Perhaps the long travel FR and short travel DH will become more popluar in the Aus scene with victories like this?
Hmm long travel suspension weilding bikes are usually set up with a heap of sag which is more like negative travel, good for rough fast terrain - not so much for "big drops". Providing the drops are hit at pace, long travel bikes arent needed - look at what the freeride guys are using, many of them are opting for a 6-7inch travel bike.

Oh, and riders should be allowed to ride what ever they want.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
I think we all know what a specific DH bike is though thecat... V10, Sunday, 224, Glory, and so on and so on...
So I wouldn't be allowed to win if i was on a Demo 9 because they are free ride bikes and you are suppose to ride DH bikes right?:cool:

Amiel won on a short travel bike. If memory serves me correctly when he first signed with giant he was ripping it up at all the "proper" DH trails around the country on a short travel bike with single crown forks.

Brad got second on a "proper" DH bike. You need to pick the right equipment to suit the track and the conditions.

Mid travel suited Amiel, Long travel suited Brad

downhiller_1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
to put m2c in the race was won or lost on the uphill bridge... people should know what i mean... Ameil chose he lighter bike in that he was abel to pedal back up to speed faster that the big bike guys gaining that extra 2 seconds just on that section alone...does anyone else think that too!

BUSHPIG

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Should everyone have the exact same travel, same tyres, same brakes...?
Funnily enough (from what i have seen) they do!
Avid codes, maxxis minions, and 8" travel.

I am not criticizing you thecat, i just find it funny that everyone will copy the other one, and not many will step outside and explore different products such as emeil(sp) did.

cheers

S.

ex offender
Personally, I'm glad that there are DH courses around that aren't all about "going big" and actually need some pedalling, because not everyone wants to take life-threatening risks in order to race in their chosen sport.
We already have other disciplines for that. Most DHers really DON'T want pedal-heavy tracks where there is more emphasis on fitness and strength than on skill - if we wanted to ride that kind of stuff, we'd ride road/XC.

joshrides

Likes Dirt
i was just wondering as i have seen in these pictures, the short travel bikes have 3 sprockets on the front, set up for XC not Dh, was this changed over to a single sprocket to give it more clearance and a more Dh bike feel? because i couldnt imagine people racing Dh with 3 sprocets.

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i was just wondering as i have seen in these pictures, the short travel bikes have 3 sprockets on the front, set up for XC not Dh, was this changed over to a single sprocket to give it more clearance and a more Dh bike feel? because i couldnt imagine people racing Dh with 3 sprocets.
Both Amiel and Shaun were running single ring with chain devices.