Winter is back. What rain coats are people wearing

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Hey guys

Whilst I would normally say "just ride ion the rain ya pussy". I am conscious that I do want to stay illness free this riding season.

Looking for a lightweight compact rain coat with some form of ventilation so I can keep riding between showers without too much discomfort. maybe mesh under the armpits etc etc etc. Hiking or riding specific options would be good.

what are people wearing?????

Cheers

indica

Serial flasher
I am conscious that I do want to stay illness free this riding season.
What relationship is there between getting wet and illness?
Do you have some kind of rain allergy?

Remaining free from colds is a matter of general health, not rain coat wearing.

C0na

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey guys

Whilst I would normally say "just ride ion the rain ya pussy". I am conscious that I do want to stay illness free this riding season.

Looking for a lightweight compact rain coat with some form of ventilation so I can keep riding between showers without too much discomfort. maybe mesh under the armpits etc etc etc. Hiking or riding specific options would be good.

what are people wearing?????

Cheers
Durex........

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Is there a budget involved here?

Been using a Netti D4 - or a slightly earlier version of it, never let me down.

My experience from 6 melbourne winters as a bicycle messenger is, you must have zippers / vented armpits, velco wrist closures (so you can control how much air you want blowing up the arms) and a really long tail that completely covers your arse.

I use a gortex hiking jacket for hiking, terrible for riding, bit to long for riding, tends to snag on saddle all the time. If you use an alpine style hiking jacket (doesn't go past waist) everytime it rains your dick will get wet whenever your hiking.

Jaredp

Likes Dirt
Is there a budget involved here?

Been using a Netti D4 - or a slightly earlier version of it, never let me down.

My experience from 6 melbourne winters as a bicycle messenger is, you must have zippers / vented armpits, velco wrist closures (so you can control how much air you want blowing up the arms) and a really long tail that completely covers your arse.

I use a gortex hiking jacket for hiking, terrible for riding, bit to long for riding, tends to snag on saddle all the time. If you use an alpine style hiking jacket (doesn't go past waist) everytime it rains your dick will get wet whenever your hiking.
You hit the nail on the head. $200 would be my ceiling

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I usually just dress to get wet (boardies t-shirt) and do warm at the end. But...if I'm feeling soft then I use my snow jacket.

Ramp up your garlic chilli and ginger intake. If you feel a cold coming on shelve the garlic. Never shelve ginger or chilli.

T-Rex

Template denier
This would be for commuting, right? Because you wouldn't be riding single track in the rain, and ruining both your bike and the trail, now would you??

I like the Fox semi clear jackets, which vent really well, but still keep you reasonably dry, plus a clip on rear mudguard to keep the spray from the rear wheel off your arse.

teK--

Eats Squid
Rainbird stowaway jacket. Has a hood that folds into collar, and a back vent, 2 front zip pockets. Has a mesh liner so comfortable on bare skin. $50 from Aussie Disposals. Folds pretty small fits into camelbak.

moorey

call me Mia
2 years ago, my wife bought me a goretex shell from Kathmandu. One of those 'was $600, now $200' deals... Yeah, right.
I almost shot her.....but it has been brilliant. I use it all the time for both commute and bush. Light, breathable, vented, ticks all the boxes, and looks as good as it did the day I got it.

John U

MTB Precision
2 years ago, my wife bought me a goretex shell from Kathmandu. One of those 'was $600, now $200' deals... Yeah, right.
I almost shot her.....but it has been brilliant. I use it all the time for both commute and bush. Light, breathable, vented, ticks all the boxes, and looks as good as it did the day I got it.
I have a Kathmandu Windstopper jacket for winter when it's not raining. They have some really well designed cycling gear at times, and if you get the 'sale' price the prices are reasonable. Definitely worth keeping an eye on them for when they get the good stuff in. Note that they don't seem to stock this good gear all the time. It seems to be occasional stock.

moorey

call me Mia
I have a Kathmandu Windstopper jacket for winter when it's not raining. They have some really well designed cycling gear at times, and if you get the 'sale' price the prices are reasonable. Definitely worth keeping an eye on them for when they get the good stuff in. Note that they don't seem to stock this good gear all the time. It seems to be occasional stock.
Nfi what my model is. 100% waterproof though.

takai

Eats Squid
Yeah, i have a windstopper gillet, and its great. Not as good as my old Mountain Designs Pro Elite windproof top, which has been going for 15 years now (bought in 1999), and still going strong.

Anyway on rain jackets i have a Royal Racing Hexlite jacket, which does pretty well for commuting level rain.

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have a Royal Racing spray jacket that I have had for about 5 years, Its perfect, It packs down to a fist size ball, light, has zippable vents, velcro cuffs.

What is now the Hextech would probably be closest to what I have.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Drizabone.
I used to ride to school in my old driza... Possibly not the ultimate in lightweight aerodynamic space age material technology, but it kept me dry, kept mud off my bum, and kept the scrapes to a minimum on my inevitable stacks.

Sent from my Xperia Go using Tapatalk