Winter riding gear advise

Andrei

Likes Dirt
Hey guys and gals,

I'm looking to get some descent winter riding gear, but am a bit confused. There are some nice specials on at T7, but most of the jackets (softshels) look to be to heavy for riding.

So i'm looking for a good jacket that breaths well, keeps me nice and warm and is not too heavy.

Also wouldn't mind some sort of under helmet head warmer. And are baselayers worthwhile?

Most of my riding is trail/all-mountain type stuff and I wear a Giro Hex helmet.

Cheers all,

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Regarding the head warmer, I have a scull cap that is made of a fabric called Roubaix and it's great. Stretchy, comfy and really warm and never gets too hot. can't remember the brand, i think it's pearl izumi, maybe netti, but the fabric is great. Kind of fleecy inside but feels like smooth jersey material on the outside. As for the rest of the kit I can't help.

In the same boat at the mo actually. Commuting before the sun gets up in about 2-5 degrees in knicks and a jersey is killing me.
Trouble is I get the boil-in-the-bag syndrome if I wear any kind of jackets as I just run too hot.
Got about $500 to blow this week on a winter kit and can't for the life of me work out what is best.
Not meaning to hijack your thread, but if I can jump in and hopefully get some advice in the same thread it might help us both.

Anyone else get the overheating/hot flushes prickly heat boil in the bag effect even when it's near 0 degrees when wearing full length jackets?

Looking at either a combo of vest with winter gloves, boot covers (it's mainly the toes and fingers that get super cold) and a set of arm warmers, or, a medium weight jacket with removable arms.

Problem: Where do you get a jacket/vest that is -

a) Breathable (properly breathable and not just marketing BS)
b) Water resistant for up to an hour
c) Warm without it being like your'e wearing a wetsuit in summer
d) Moisture wicking
e) Wind stopping

Does this jacket/vest even exist?

Last edited:

3viltoast3r

Likes Bikes and Dirt
POSM had a thread along this line not too long ago, might be worthwhile digging it up

For when it's not raining, I find the simple flanno to be a wonder - Bit of warmth till you really get going, then it's thin enough to stuff in the camelpack.

I used to live out Bathurst way and it got damn cold. Riding in light snow and ice is really off-putting. One ride my camelback tube froze.

For pants I use a pair of Canterbury tights made for cold. They are awesome. Then just my knicks over that and shorts too if it suits. For the top it depends. Maybe a base layer 'wool' thermal because they breath. But I think the riding sleeves would be better because you can push them down if it gets too hot.

My biggest pick is a Gillet for the top. They come sleeveless or with zip on sleeves, are wind proof mainly on the front with an inner lining and breathable on the back. They can also be water proof if you spend the cash. I prefer sleeveless though.

nickdos

Likes Dirt
I live in Canberra where it can be between -2° and 6° most winter mornings. I generally don't wear a jacket but instead use a combination of cycling vest (Netti - wind-proof on the front) and arm warmers (T7 with fleece lining). I also use one of the thin cycling beanies under my helmet.

adaib

Likes Dirt
I live in Canberra where it can be between -2° and 6° most winter mornings. I generally don't wear a jacket but instead use a combination of cycling vest (Netti - wind-proof on the front) and arm warmers (T7 with fleece lining). I also use one of the thin cycling beanies under my helmet.
+1 to that ^
That's exactly what i use on those chilly foggy mornings.
I'm from melbourne, so we need to be able to change our layers to adapt to all four seasons in one day. And having lots of small insulators helps for that.
I might add though, when its raining, i also add the polypropylene leg thermals and the toe warmers.

frensham

Likes Dirt
He's not commuting everyone! He's riding trail/AM.

Mate, all I can say is have a look at a whole range of outdoor shops such as Macpac, Mountain Designs etc. Macpac have a wonderful powerstretch fabric that is reasonably body fitting, breathes very well and will keep you warm in a bit of rain. This fabric usually comes in jackets with full length zips and often pit zips too. In my experience there is no such thing as a breathable waterproof fabric, especially if you are exerting yourself for a period of time. You will get just as wet inside as outside without one on. As has been mentioned a gilet with windproof fabric is a good option (have a look at Ground Effect). Also, try and find something with a bit of a tail or length at the back.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
Try and find a 2XU outlet store their 10,000:1 membrane jacket is the best piece of riding gear that I own. The jacket seems to work for me from -3 to 10. this jacket is even up to road use in cutting wind.

I picked mine up for $160 which was less than half of the retail. I am a tight arse and would gladly pay full retail if I ever had to replace it.

During wnter I also wear a netti capp that keeps the old ears warm and nicks with a set of full length nzo leg warmers.

AngoXC

Wheel size expert
Soft shells come in many different forms but the most common form is the laminated 'hybrid' that is part fleece, part waterproof (but neither on the grand scheme of things - sounds kinda like what you're on about frensham). These are honestly too 'heavy duty' for cycling however opting for a lighter duty 'stretch-woven' softshell is closer to what you want.

I personally alternate between two such jackets in the winter months; an Apex Elixir by The North Face and the Dyno by niche manufacturer Montane.

Both jackets cut the wind by about 70% (around 20 CFM). You're not going to physically feel wind passing through the garment however you will feel the wind cooling the fabric hence the need for a base/fleece layer. Since the fabric isn't 100% windproof, it's going to maintain relative breathability via moisture transport/wicking (well, more so than a Gore Tex layer for example). TNF also carry a similar lacket to the Elixir called the Cypher that features Gore Windstopper panelling on the front and shoulders to fully eliminate the wind in these areas.

In addition to this, both jackets are coated in a Durable Water Repellancy - this treatment causes water to bead up and roll off the garment. It's only really going to keep you dry in a light shower but this is more than enough to keep you going in the wet.

Now, like I said, these jackets are not warm by themselves - they're only a protective layer that will protect you from the elements (wind/rain) that cause heat loss. If you're after warmth, then you'll need an insulating layer like a fleece which will in turn, be layered atop a base layer of some description. As you start to warm up, you can ditch the fleece.

Hope this is of some help guys.

shakes

Likes Dirt
In melb I wear a generic rays outdoors
Wool based thermal top with a long zip.... which is hands down the best bit. Cold morning have it zipped up high. As I warm up lower the zip to let air through.takes until around 10am before I have to remove it trail riding. Maybe 8-10* ? The only issue is removing a base layer and putting a Sweaty top back on.

el~rio

Likes Dirt
I won a Ground Effects Baked Alaska jacket a while ago, ever since it's been a stable of my winter riding kit. Its windproof on the chest but a wool/polyester everywhere else which works really well, keeps the cold wind off your chest but not thick enough that you overheat easily. The longer I've had it the more I've come to like it.

It's good on the road from about 10 degrees down to 0 degrees easily with a cheap thermal underneath. On the MTB bike I'd wear it from about 8 degrees and downward. The only problem with it would be not being able to easily take anything off if it heats up, but I guess if it's that in between temperature I'd be wearing a vest and arm warmers instead. When it's cold though there's no competition.

As far as keeping your head warm, buffs. I got one free with a magazine and its been keeping my ears warm ever since.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
I dug out a merino baselayer/top I have had since 1994. I got it a Paddy Pallins I think...it's unreal under a gilet with windproof gloves...It has a high zip up neck which is essential I reckon...I have some kneewarmers coming soon...and a buff...

Once warmed up the extremities and head feel ok, just need to keep my core warm... Give merino a go I recommend...

blue_muppet

Likes Dirt
Give merino a go I recommend...
This. To the OP, the layers you've said you're getting look good, but get an arm length under layer. Merino wool tops are expensive but worth it, excellent wicking, warmth, and due to the antibacterial nature of wool it will stay pretty fresh even after a few rides. Kathmandu has their winter sale on atm.

HerdingCats

Likes Dirt
Problem: Where do you get a jacket/vest that is -

a) Breathable (properly breathable and not just marketing BS)
b) Water resistant for up to an hour
c) Warm without it being like your'e wearing a wetsuit in summer
d) Moisture wicking
e) Wind stopping

Does this jacket/vest even exist?
I've discovered the joys of a dhb Windslam Gilet. Works a treat in a Sydney winter, particularly over the past four wet weeks. Admittedly it is only water resistant, but it ticks the rest of these boxes.

On a slightly different note, I struggle keeping my feet warm. I've been using double socks, but it still takes time to thaw in the morning.

Science

Likes Dirt
all these special items just because it's cold and you still want to look like a bike rider?

I wear a pair of skinney jeans in the winter. Body hugging for reduced wind resistance, warm, breathable.
Up top is just a light Donnay jacket, and a zip up jumper while i warm up, ie, the first 20 minutes of the ride, then it goes in my bag, and i just use the jacket. then i just peel the jacket off when if i start to cook and just ride in my jersey.
For headwear, if it is pissing down rain and freezing cold, i have an old full face BMX helmet that makes life a joy :D

I'm riding trails/XC

MrsH

Likes Dirt
Merino wool tops are expensive but worth it.
Have found a number of cheapie/$2 type shops that stock both singlets and long sleeved tops made from Merino - for $7.95.. Eastland @ Ringwood is one (nearish the Coles/Bakers Delight area) for anyone who may be nearby. The arms aren't super long though so may need to upsize.

Great for under layers. :)

steve24

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I like 3/4 nicks or even full length if really cold.

Another thing i like when cold is neoprene toe covers. They go over toe part of your shoe but you can leave them on unlike full covers which get to be a pain.

I like windproof ear warmers, lets your head breath but keeps ears warm but i also just bought a cycle balaklava which is great to keep your nose from freezing. I also use a helmet cover to keep the rain off and a light gortex jacket and or warm vest.
+1 for the merino, i use a macpac t-shirt style.

Ive often thought the ideal would be to warm up on a trainer for 10mins before heading out the door....

Shane-O

Likes Bikes
all these special items just because it's cold and you still want to look like a bike rider?

I wear a pair of skinney jeans in the winter. Body hugging for reduced wind resistance, warm, breathable.
Up top is just a light Donnay jacket, and a zip up jumper while i warm up, ie, the first 20 minutes of the ride, then it goes in my bag, and i just use the jacket. then i just peel the jacket off when if i start to cook and just ride in my jersey.
For headwear, if it is pissing down rain and freezing cold, i have an old full face BMX helmet that makes life a joy :D

I'm riding trails/XC
No dude, we wear clothes made for outdoor excercise - actually, designed for riding (can you believe it??), rather than trying to look like its casual day at school for year 9...