Winter shoes

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Have been using these booties for three years now, incredibly tough and resilient. 30 bucks from cycling deal IIRC

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1462162271.947337.jpg

andrew9

Likes Dirt
Those shoes are pretty extreme, you might even overheat. I'd try some good thermal socks and some covers, I manage to ride in thin ventilated road shoes all winter with just these:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WOLFBIKE...563615?hash=item3399da779f:g:WZQAAOSwRLZT1iOI

For a bonus, these one say wolf on them! I like their cheesy ebay styling, and they're actually nicer made than my brand name ones.

This is on a road bike, with many early mornings and sometimes in the rain, and more wind chill than mtb. I think stopping the airflow is most important, followed by one good thermal layer, that still insulates when wet from rain/sweat.

Sometimes pressure points on saddle can give poor circulation to feet, apparently?

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Got a load of different shoe covers, actually the newest ones were the same as above, Shimano H2O for $20 from CRC.

The neoprene covers are ok, but eventually get soaked and your feet get wet, even the Endura MT500's that are touted for UK weather.

Bought a pair of these Garneau Zeros a few years back on a trip to the UK, they are toastie warm and not just as extreme as some of the other winter boots, very good at keeping your feet warm and dry until you get a massive downpour then with any of the winter boots, the water runs in the top. Your socks will then get wet but at least they stay warm as the water heats up. Make sure an get a bigger size in winter shoes, allow room for a little bit of movement as they are all pretty stiff and this will also allow for thick socks.

I've worn these for many cold morning rides, they were also a life saver a few years back at the Wombat 100 when it was a wet and cold start.

Attachments

Weety

Cannon Fodder
Sealskinz

I use Sealskinz Goretex lined socks and my normal footwear.

Works well and handy to have for other things.

teK--

Eats Squid
Shimano AM45 have done well so far to protect against winter spray. And they don't feel like anchors when they get filled with water either.

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Oxford chillout socks are a cheap and effective solution, available from CRC. They're like a shoe cover but you wear them inside like socks.

A cheaper shoe option is the Shimano XC50N. The "N" is the important bit. They have no vents so very good at keeping cold and water out. I wear these with Polaris Merino socks and have ridden comfortably in sub-zero conditions.

hakka

Likes Dirt
Oxford chillout socks are a cheap and effective solution, available from CRC. They're like a shoe cover but you wear them inside like socks.

A cheaper shoe option is the Shimano XC50N. The "N" is the important bit. They have no vents so very good at keeping cold and water out. I wear these with Polaris Merino socks and have ridden comfortably in sub-zero conditions.
Couldn't find the socks on crc so bought the shimano mw7 winter boots instead. My main concern was them being too warm but after reading some reviews it seems they are good down to 0deg with normal socks. I'll grab some toe covers for my xc shoes as well.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Bit of a grave dig but I have found the Northwave Celsius 2 GTX shoes perfect for winter we are having down south.
Most of July in NE Vic has been a westerly fug with cold ,cloud, rain then drizzle you cant see on the radar.
As wet as ever. Rain /snow then rain.
True to Shimano size I bought a size bigger for 2 pairs of socks,thick and thin perfect as the shoes dont have much insulation relying on a goretex layer which is wind and waterproof.

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
Defeet Woolie Boolie socks are good. As others have posted, Neoprene shoe covers are alright. Cheap. I got some Louis Garneau for maybe $35. They will get wet, but in crappy conditions not much will stop that IMO, but your feet should stay warm.