Wollombi Wild Ride

agoer

Likes Dirt
Nice time of year not too hot not too cold interestinging doing it on the saturday though.

Will add it to "favorites" and look into it.

G

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Google Maps have been posted to the site. Not too different to the one I carved out from just the written words description on one of the other pages. The 30km .kml file includes distance markers that seem to count back wards from 30 at the start, is this normal for a route to be mapped like that??

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Is this up in the lower Hunter area?

I stayed at Wollombi in a renovated old barn years ago for weekend with bunch of couples for a mate's 30th and brought my bike with me and had my first real MTB adventure. There must be some good trails up there.

Last edited:

loc81

Likes Dirt
Also worth mentioning is Wollombi Pub!! Home of Dr. Jurd's Jungle Juice. Not to mention you can camp out back of the pub!

HamishS

Likes Dirt
Google Maps have been posted to the site. Not too different to the one I carved out from just the written words description on one of the other pages. The 30km .kml file includes distance markers that seem to count back wards from 30 at the start, is this normal for a route to be mapped like that??
Has anyone ridden up here before? Read the outline of the track - is it as flat as they say?

Not too sure whether to give the 30 or 60km a go.

H

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Dont worry Jim .... by the looks of the calender the majority of the field are gonna be at a slow pace

loc81

Likes Dirt
I'll probably enter at weeks end when there's more than lint in my pockets. Going to have a crack at the 30 but not too fussed what its like as it will be my first comp/race thing.

loc81

Likes Dirt
Have to say I really enjoyed myself yesterday. Being my first comp of any sort, having the majority of the track dirt roads and fire trail gave plenty of chances to be overtaken!
Although the track ran through some properties, I reckon even just the roads would be a great casual ride for a lazy weekend. The pub doesn't seem to have an issue with camping any time either.

For its first run, the event seemed to go smoothly and a solid crowd (almost 300 I think?) of varied fitness made the day very relaxing.

Only whinge is the deadshits that leave their gu wrappers on the trail. What's wrong with you idiots?
If you can bother to take it out of your pocket, open it and drink it, why not put the wrapper in your pocket??

notime

Likes Dirt
I also enjoyed the ride, especially the fast decent's after all the climbing. Will have a go at the 60 if there is a race next year.