Wombat 100 - 14 April 2013 - Entries Now Open

Maybe my description was not good enough, but Duckmeister got my point.

For what it's worth, the race at Redesdale for the interwinter series was probably my favourite track all year.

In regards to last years race, I had an issue, as did many others, with missing a large section of the course (100km).
It ended my day, as i was disqualified from the race. Promises were made to me and my fellow riders, however, they were empty.
Doesn't bother me, just means i won't go back in a hurry. I shouldn't have mentioned it, but didn't think it would require specifics.
I raced this back in 2009 and the same thing happened, signage was really bad a heap of guys took a wrong turn and ended up way off course. I was pissed off after shelling out $130 entry to go around in circles. I'm surprised to see things haven't changed considering the amount of criticism after the event. I swore I would never go back even though I like the trails around there, used to love the state series rounds near there.

fergo

Likes Dirt
I raced this back in 2009 and the same thing happened, signage was really bad a heap of guys took a wrong turn and ended up way off course. I was pissed off after shelling out $130 entry to go around in circles. I'm surprised to see things haven't changed considering the amount of criticism after the event. I swore I would never go back even though I like the trails around there, used to love the state series rounds near there.
Thats a bit harsh to say "surprised nothing has changed" given you havent been there for the last 3 races. Last year a group of riders missed a turn and ended up coming the wrong way into the feed station. In a race, people usually follow someone in front of them unless they are the front rider or on their own. It should be noted that the leaders didn't miss the turn off, nor did most of the 100km field - so you cant blame signage.

Unfortunately, we cant make the track lined with tape like a downhill track or barriers like a pro crit road ride. Its your responsibility as a rider to follow the arrows and course markings. The course was ridden the day before to follow the arrows and additional signage was added where needed. Riders following like sheep and not looking, cant blame the track marking if the front guy misses a turnoff.

Last edited:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Yep, I was one of those that missed a turn last year. Considering that the vast majority of the field got it right, my response was to be pissed at myself for not lifting my head enough and being aware of my surroundings.

And the bright side was, I got to see the guns at the front come hammering past me up the singletrack. Was great to get such a closeup view of the top end of the sport.

Doing the 50 this year, figure it halves my chance of missing a turn again :)

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
There was more than one group that went the wrong way Fergo, so it's not as isolated as you'd like everyone to believe.

I was completely unaware that this had happened in previous years, sucks for the organisers, but i don't feel so bad about my experience now.

Whatever the reasons, the group of 6 'sheep' i was riding with were left pretty disappointed to have trained and be disqualified within the first 20 odd km's.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
first time I did it the half way point was probably at the 60k mark, ended up doing 110k according to my garmin. understandable as they were altering course on the fly due to wet weather. pity the guys who didn't make the cut off due to extra long course. still primo riding so unless you're going to win the thing it's more ST, if you look at map it seems like there's 4-5 points where course crosses over other parts, so yes they'll have to have their act together to ensure riders don't go the wrong way. on the other hand if you find yourself in front of leaders like Pastavore who's to know you aren't the leader, crank it up and go for it.

riderideride

Likes Dirt
It should be noted that the leaders didn't miss the turn off, nor did most of the 100km field - so you cant blame signage.
I know a certain 100km rider who went the wrong way too Ferg. Unfortunately the signage was not very good. I think that was the year before last... the one with the hail.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Goddammit. I was in for the 50 till I saw the price.
Awesome track. Enjoy, peeps.
Jeepers Moorey, even with all my cash that is expensive. The Otway Odyssey 50Klm cost $70 included everything this one has and you even got the T Shirt.

Anyone know how this compares to other events? Should we be expecting to pay this much for events?

This makes the Inter Winter Series put on by Ballarat Sebas CC, Geelong & Bendigo look really cheap in comparison. Add to that the club races & social rides you can fill the year with some pretty good rides at great venues without costing the earth.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
I'm not sure this is the place to compare events but it does seem on the expensive side. I've made my decision and won't be attending due to cost. This may be false economy on my part as this race is close to home. I travel to other events much further away that offer better value. I have even driven to Canberra twice to do Capital Punishment.
But times change and I'm now looking for some value from events.

moorey

call me Mia
Jeepers Moorey, even with all my cash that is expensive. The Otway Odyssey 50Klm cost $70 included everything this one has and you even got the T Shirt.

Anyone know how this compares to other events? Should we be expecting to pay this much for events?

This makes the Inter Winter Series put on by Ballarat Sebas CC, Geelong & Bendigo look really cheap in comparison. Add to that the club races & social rides you can fill the year with some pretty good rides at great venues without costing the earth.
Thank fuck you're shouting, mr Sheffield :dance:

bighit clarky

Likes Bikes
hello, this will be my first wombat 100 coming down from canberra for a family reunion the same weekend at gisbourne so bonus i get to race aswell happy days, anyway what mtb bike is suited for this track 29 ht or 26 ds ?? any help would be great thanks

fergo

Likes Dirt

Otway Shorty Junior was $70, adults was $105 for the 50km. $130 for the 100km.

Wombat 50- $95 cheaper than OO
Wombat 100 - $130 difference is no Tshirt

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
Otway Shorty Junior was $70, adults was $105 for the 50km. $130 for the 100km.

Wombat 50- $95 cheaper than OO
Wombat 100 - $130 difference is no Tshirt
You are right. I apologise & stand corrected. If I forked out that much for the Otway & enjoyed it, then I will have to give this a go, maybe the same outcome.

mmatrix

Likes Dirt
lots of other events .

You are right. I apologise & stand corrected. If I forked out that much for the Otway & enjoyed it, then I will have to give this a go, maybe the same outcome.
There are plenty of really great value races around which are well run and have a great vibe, The Gazebo ,interwinter and the VES are three that come to mind. The difference being clubs run the events with great value entry fees because they don't pay for labour, and don't need to run at a profit.
Just join a club and help out at a local race , that way you can put something back and keep the price down.

MJG

Likes Dirt
hello, this will be my first wombat 100 coming down from canberra for a family reunion the same weekend at gisbourne so bonus i get to race aswell happy days, anyway what mtb bike is suited for this track 29 ht or 26 ds ?? any help would be great thanks
It's your usual comfort vs. speed argument. Choose the dually for comfort if you're not after setting any PBs, or, as it's your first time, you have no Strava leaderboard aspirations. The hardtail will win for speed if you want more efficient climbing and can tolerate bumpy tracks, especially in the pines where lots of tree roots poke through.

The 50 race (2nd half of the 100 course) doesn't include any of the pines tracks, has a greater proportion of fire roads, and being a shorter event, would make the 29 HT my choice. Usual caveats apply.

BTW, there's no u in Gisborne.

Kingshill

Likes Dirt
There are plenty of really great value races around which are well run and have a great vibe, The Gazebo ,interwinter and the VES are three that come to mind. The difference being clubs run the events with great value entry fees because they don't pay for labour, and don't need to run at a profit.
Just join a club and help out at a local race , that way you can put something back and keep the price down.
Doing it, loving it & kicking Moorey's arse too!

moorey

call me Mia
Doing it, loving it & liking Moorey's arse too!
It IS rather firm, thanks. (oh, and remind me how we went on Sunday..I seem to have forgotten...but I'm sure you had a graet view of my arse from were you were.....)

Dispite me grumbling about the price (and its more about me being a tight arse than anything else), I hope no one opts out of the Wombat due to either cost or a few peoples bad experiences. Overwhelmingly, i hear its a fantastic event and a great course.

fergo

Likes Dirt
We have heard the minority complaining about missing turns so:

1.This year, Magellan is a sponsor of the event. Apparently, you will be able to download the course gpx to your gps before the race and then follow it as a course in the race. It is also on the Max Adventure website and there are plenty of Strava segments out there to aim for. Your gps will beep if you STILL go off course!

2. There will be extra arrows and bunting compared to previous years as well as crosses to tell you you are going the wrong way.

3. Extra marshall points at confusing locations

No excuses really to miss a turn off.

If anyone gets lost this year and has the audacity to complain on here, they should sell their bikes and hire a chauffeur to drive them everywhere - oh as well as Rule #5 :lol:

Pastavore

Eats Squid
We have heard the minority complaining about missing turns so:

1.This year, Magellan is a sponsor of the event. Apparently, you will be able to download the course gpx to your gps before the race and then follow it as a course in the race. It is also on the Max Adventure website and there are plenty of Strava segments out there to aim for. Your gps will beep if you STILL go off course!

2. There will be extra arrows and bunting compared to previous years as well as crosses to tell you you are going the wrong way.

3. Extra marshall points at confusing locations

No excuses really to miss a turn off.

If anyone gets lost this year and has the audacity to complain on here, they should sell their bikes and hire a chauffeur to drive them everywhere - oh as well as Rule #5 :lol:
Fergo, you may be underestimating my degree of navigational retardation. I would appreciate it if the course markers could paint a red stripe approx 50cm wide on the dirt around the entire course. Your assistance is appreciated.