women only events?

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
I think this puts people off a bit.
Shouldn't that be "a wee bit" if you're in NZ ;)

I think in general the outdoors sports are all done by a greater %age of the population in the NZ. Afterall they all go "tramping" and then there's just everything else so accessible - rivers for kayaking, snow for skiing and trails for riding. Geographically accessible too - none of this driving across and vast country to do things.

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
I agree with others that the lack of prizes or even a chance to stand on the podium if there are less than x entrants at the Scott was a bad idea. Degrading to the winners and all other riders in those categories, who lets face it are always going to be women. (Every mens category is always full as.)

If they had given prizes to all place getters you would have got people in the audience saying "Geez, we should have gone in female pairs, we would have got on the podium!"

Can't think of a better way to boost numbers for those categories for the following year!

Megs:)

Likes Dirt
On the issue of separate events for women, it sounds like the womens skills days that are happening in quite a few clubs now are filling that niche. When we wonder why there are lots of women riding but not racing, we may also need to accept that its OK not to race. Mtb is still mtb whether you are racing or not.

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
On the issue of separate events for women, it sounds like the womens skills days that are happening in quite a few clubs now are filling that niche. When we wonder why there are lots of women riding but not racing, we may also need to accept that its OK not to race. Mtb is still mtb whether you are racing or not.
Absolutely true, but I would hate for race organisers to think that is the whole reason, become complacent, then for it to become the norm to remove incentives.

shineslike

Likes Bikes
megs, i think they are happening in certain areas, but i am not sure whether they are across the board. i am not aware of any in my local area. that doesn't mean they are not happening, but if they are, i haven't heard of them. and i suppose that is part of the problem.

I've been riding for 2 years now & have entered one event only todate and pulled out the morning (poor partner had to do a 6hr on his own.... whoops!).

For me, the reason why I don't enter races is nothing to do with others being annoyed about me being on the course. I know how friendly they are. What I'm concerned about are those techy bits where I might need to step off or where I'll stack it (more likely) and slowing down the poor bugger behind me who is competitive. I don't want to be a disadvantage to others on the course.

Whilst the idea of a ladies only event appeals, I think I'd still have the same issue in my head with other ladies out there need me to be out of their way. Yes, they'll call track & I can move but I'd probably spend so much time worrying that there's someone there that I'll be all over the place.

For me, I'm in the half fling & looking forward to a point to point where the only people behind me are likely to be the sweepers. Suites me fine.

I'm in the Loftus area, so if anyone ever wants a chics ride, PM me. Am going tomorrow with another 2 girls. 10:30am - Lotfus oval.

shineslike

Likes Bikes
heya bell, the ladies' events that i mentioned at the start of this thread - the triathlons run for women only - are designed with the absolute emphasis that it's for newbies to get into the sport - so there are all sorts of people who have the same sorts of fears you do. experienced triathletes are also encouraged to compete, but the emphasis is very much on letting people try out those sorts of events without worrying about if they fall off (because chances are high that they won't be the only one who does). and i suppose that is the same sort of thing i was envisaging when i originally started this thread.

the reason that holds you back from competing is the same sort of thing that worries me. i am not concerned about whether people are friendly or not. what worries me is that i might hold up other people and get entirely in the way. and i would prefer not to do that. in a social ride, you can just hop off and no one minds. in an event, you need to be mindful of sharing the course with so many others of all kinds of abilities. they might not curse me for being slow - but i won't enjoy the stress of that.

Slowpoke

Likes Dirt
Gratuitous passing advice

For me, the reason why I don't enter races is nothing to do with others being annoyed about me being on the course. I know how friendly they are. What I'm concerned about are those techy bits where I might need to step off or where I'll stack it (more likely) and slowing down the poor bugger behind me who is competitive. I don't want to be a disadvantage to others on the course.
I think that is a common concern for many women. I often feel more likely to stack if there is someone behind me too. In longer races (8hrs, 100km), if there are technical sections that I am worried about, particularly as I get tired, I get off and walk them. I don't want to stuff up my entire race at 80ks (or 7hrs) due to an unfortunate stack.

If it is any comfort (to anyone that feels this way) as you are probably aware, if you are in front, you have right of way and the person behind you should also know this. Slow riders are part of racing and competitive riders know this so they are the least of your worries. They are also very good at passing safely and quickly. Think of it this way, if you knock a few seconds of 5 competitive riders, it is still a level playing field. You get the rare individual who gets uptight and their main competition are usually their team mates. That is their problem, not yours.

As part of the pre-race briefing at our club races they provide a reminder about passing and stress that it should be an ongoing conversation. People have gone from being entirely civil to being unnervingly polite.

If I may offer some thoughts (and this does not oblige you in anyway to be hurried by other riders):

As soon as I feel someone coming up behind me I start talking to them and let them know that I will get them past when I feel safe.

If I am approaching a technical section and I dont feel safe with riders on my tail, I ask them to give me some space and let them know that I will get them past as soon as I can. I warn people if I think I might have to put my foot down through a technical section. If they have to put their foot down because I do, they are too close and that is their problem. If I warn them, they can drop back and, if I do dab a foot, I might be able to use that pause to get them past.

Another thing I used to do (if I had accumulated a few riders behind me) before a technical section, I would stop and let them pass so that I could get through that section and not feel hurried (but remember you are not obliged to stop).

I became quite accomplished at the one foot down pass where I would move to the edge, put one foot down without loosing much momentum and just keep going. Now I feel guilty whenever a novice does that for me before I have even asked if I may pass (and I thank them profusely).

If you are already going slowly, you probably don’t even need to slow down much for someone to get past.

Most race courses (particularly the large events) are designed to provide many passing opportunities because there will be a huge range of skill levels on course (send an email to the organiser if you are concerned before you enter). If it is in your area, ask about the technical sections that might be included. They might be keeping the exact course a secret until race day, but they might tell you some indicative trails/ sections to practice.

Try practicing riding at the edge of the track for a few metres (you don’t need to get right off it). Perhaps ask some skilled riders to practice passing with you, so you can get to know what it feels like outside of a race situation.

I think passing should be covered in any skills course, both being passed and passing.

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Yup passing and being passed are the most intimidating parts of starting out racing, I agree. Although you might think you won't do any passing, you'll be surprised. My first pass this year I came up behind a slow and he kept looking back so I called "sorry I've never passed anyone I'm not really used to this" then I realised :rolleyes: that it was probably a bit of an insult to say that seeing I basically was saying "wow I'm slow and you're even SLOWER" :p I'm sure he took it well.

I still avoid first laps where possible because i know track congestion will mean a lot of passing and being passed. But I'm getting lots better at being passed and now I'm even getting more chance and practicing passing. It's a lot better on certain tracks - for instance the Mont at sparrow hill often has a lot of space on the side of the tracks so passing should be pretty good...

It's a skill like any other riding skills and you will develop it with practice. The first thing is anticipating the need to pass, so when you hear/see someone gaining just start being on the lookout for wider sections or places you could safely pull over to one side. Good spots are: hair pin turns where where there is an outer line and an inner (call out "I'll go wide"), they can zoom past on the tighter inner line. Also anywhere where the track is relatively wide and smooth (remember they may not be able to see the track in front of you well) or you can even pull right off (which is an excuse for a rest :p ) and just call "I'll pull left/right just after that tree/rock/corner". I found that I tended to pull off a lot more at the start, now I tend to find places where I don't have to pull right off.

Like others here have said, if I know things are coming up like a technical section or descent I may even pull off and let people pass that aren't quite right behind me yet so that I don't have them on my tail the whole way down. If you're riding in an event with laps, you'll soon get to know where the passing spots are which makes it lots easier.

The really competitive guys - they are the ones you don't need to worry about. Seriously they have the skills to pass you before you realise they are there. It's your slightly above average punter with a well-above average ego you have to worry about - the ones that think you are holding them up when in reality they aren't much faster. But who cares if you hold them up 10 seconds, they'll come 157th instead of 156th....

I'd give thee main suggestions:
1) talk to the person behind say things like "sorry I'm new to this, I'll let you pass when I find a spot" or "If I can't find a spot soon I'll pull over at the top of this hill" ... if they know you're aware then generally everyone is nice and patient.
2) Pick your events, somewhere you are familiar with or somewhere with sections of firetrail for overtaking... or events that are marketed as a less serious/ more fun event.
2) buy a "L" plate and hang it off your seat - a bit of humour but also a very useful sign to other riders that you might not have the confidence/ability. The Scott has some plates including a little "schools rider" plate which just alerted you that you might be passing someone who is a bit younger, newer and less confident. Then after a few events you can graduate to to your Ps :D

cam-o

Likes Bikes and Dirt
1) talk to the person behind say things like "sorry I'm new to this, I'll let you pass when I find a spot" or "If I can't find a spot soon I'll pull over at the top of this hill" ... if they know you're aware then generally everyone is nice and patient.
This is really good advice - during the Scott I found passing and being passed was all about communication. If the passer calls out they are hoping to go round you, a yes/no/wait/go call from the passee is fantastic to keep you both safe and happy.

osmund

Squid
It is interesting that this seems to be a real issue for women (- maybe because we (in general) aren't as competitive as men??). In the beginning I used to fear that I was annoying to other people on the track and also embarrassing myself on the track.

Now that I have done more races I realise that (a) there are usually people just as skilled (un-skilled) as me (ie walking parts) and (b) part of racing is that the fast people have to overtake the slow people (and it is a skill the fast people need to have). Now that I have done a few races and improved my skills, I have seen that it is very common for people to walk technical parts or up hills. Previously, I had only ever ridden with people that aren't technically challenged so that I thought that it was just me being hopeless. Now I feel no shame getting off my bike if I need to.

This year I have really got into racing and for the most part I enjoy it. I always have pre-race jitters (starting days/weeks beforehand) but after the 2nd lap I am loving it and can't wait for the next race! :D

Cypher

Likes Dirt
Shouldn't that be "a wee bit" if you're in NZ ;)

I think in general the outdoors sports are all done by a greater %age of the population in the NZ. Afterall they all go "tramping" and then there's just everything else so accessible - rivers for kayaking, snow for skiing and trails for riding. Geographically accessible too - none of this driving across and vast country to do things.
Just got home from NZ. Sigh. Back at work :)

I don't know about things being geographically accessible in NZ. The roads are really narrow and windy - such that going 150km is an epic undertaking (esp in a campervan). It took us ages to get around.

Now that flights go directly to Rotorua, I would definately encourage all you girls to go over. The tracks there are awesome. You may need to pack Phar Laps heart and an extra set of lungs though. Those hills are steep!

MTB_KAT

Likes Dirt
hi shineslike, one of the ladies involved with the FTF Club in Vic organises female only rides and this year she organised a female only race, wasnt official like a state xc or club round but more like a dirt crit, if you are based in vic it might be worthwhile getting in contact with the club to ask about getting put on to the group email for the womens only organised rides

http://www.ftf.com.au/contacts/?IntCatId=15

unfortuantely I dont think the state rounds and bigger events would see it worthy of having a female only race, I would probably do it only because it is another race to do not because I dont want to race with faster males, I would rather ride a mixed race and have more competitors there and deal with keeping out of the way of the faster riders as I go along, I am really slow, usually the slowest out there and never have any problems with other riders passing me

good luck with it

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Just got home from NZ. Sigh. Back at work :)

I don't know about things being geographically accessible in NZ. The roads are really narrow and windy - such that going 150km is an epic undertaking (esp in a campervan). It took us ages to get around.

Now that flights go directly to Rotorua, I would definately encourage all you girls to go over. The tracks there are awesome. You may need to pack Phar Laps heart and an extra set of lungs though. Those hills are steep!
Heading over in three weeks...

In terms of geographically accessible - well the rivers in the sth island are way easier to get to than stuff in Vic (speaking from a paddling perspective, you can easily drive 5-7hrs each way for a weekend's kayaking from melbourne because there simply is nothing close) and Christchurch has incredible accessible mtbiking (kinda like canberra) within 20 mins of the city centre and then even more at local ski areas (in summer).

I've lived in the Sth island and haven't been to the North tho (yet!) so can't speak for half the country.