Women's Bike Saddles...

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
I haven't posted on here for ages... but I seriously need to get some advice from some women!!!

I have a Selle Italia Trans Am saddle on my MTB (hardtail) and I think it's great... I've got a cheaper cut out seat on my road bike, which seems to get more use these days and it's killing me!!!

I've found a newer Trans Am saddle and am happy to buy it, but I'd like opinions from other ladies on road bike saddles...

Of course what suits one person will maybe not suit the next, but all comments are welcome :)

Also, I'm pretty sure my road bike isn't the right size... I got it 2nd hand from a really tall guy!!! I've got long legs so the seat/pedals bit are perfect, but I suspect the frame is too long and I'm probably a bit stretched out... It's a 56cm and I'm 172cm.

pink

Likes Bikes
If your bike isn't the right size, that will affect the way you are sitting on that saddle and influence your comfort level greatly! If you are too stretched out, you will probably be rocking forwards or sitting in the wrong spot so it will be hard to see if the saddle is 'right' for you unless the bike fits properly.

What is the top tub length of the bike? This is an important measurement in telling if the bike fits you or not. Height alone isn't the best measure, if you go into a shop they will measure other dimensions to check frame size and top tube length.

It sounds like it's too big. You can get a shorter head stem, but it may not fix the problem. I suggest going to a bike shop, and getting them to check your size. Take your bike, get them to measure you and the bike up. They will be able to tell you if it is too big and if they can make a minor adjustment such as the shorter head stem to help. At the end of the day if the frame is the wrong size, fiddling with head stem length and pushing the saddle forwards or backward won't make it fit you properly, and you will always be uncomfortable.

Once this is sorted, then search for a saddle.

Good luck!:)

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Yeah, I actually knew all that stuff :( problem is I can't afford a new bike, or even really any mods... I have enough bits to put a shorter stem on, but I don't have a shorter stem.

Sucks to be poor...

Oh well, I can't even get a new seat yet anyway....

Bring on tax time, then I can get a new bike :)

pinkbike

Likes Dirt
Check out places like torpedo7, cellbikes and velogear for cheap short stems to try. As for saddle, I think pink is right... until your position on the bike is right then the saddle thing will change anyway.

One guide for bike set up is to put all your measurements into a fit calculator, there's an online one at competitivecyclist.com and that will give you an idea of what effective top tube you should be riding for road. Might just help you decide whether you can adjust that bike to work or really need a different frame.

As for saddles, it's trial and error and it's expensive! I love my Specialized Jett on my mountain bikes but the same saddle doesn't work quite so well on the roadie. I have the 143 on both mtb, but the 143 on the road isn't great. I ride the 155 width on the road. Tried also the Ruby but that was less comfortable. My issue is that with a more forward body position you rotate your pelvis forward and it's a lot harder to find a saddle that doesn't put pressure on soft tissue of the labia rather than the sit bones. A cut out helps but only if it's the right shape and width otherwise it can actually make things worse by creating ridges of pressure.

I am yet to find the perfect saddle, I wish more shops has test saddles but like everything... there's never stock of what the girls need... only of men's stuff. If you take your bike in though a lot of shops will let you try the saddle on your bike on a trainer.