wood?

dhsam

Likes Dirt
when I want to build a trail/freeride track I plan to have ladders, drops and maybe see saws but I've heard that pallets are to weak, if so what kind of wood should I use??

Jake Bengston

Likes Bikes
when I want to build a trail/freeride track I plan to have ladders, drops and maybe see saws but I've heard that pallets are to weak, if so what kind of wood should I use??
Dude a wooden pallet weighs about 35kgsand is made out of hardwood , Trust me when I say they arnt weak !!! :p

Sam.

Eats Squid
Dude a wooden pallet weighs about 35kgsand is made out of hardwood , Trust me when I say they arnt weak !!! :p
Ummm no, don't trust him, not all pallets are made of hardwood, If you must use pallets, use chep ones as they are made out of hardwood (Jarrah to be presice). Avoid using treated pine as it rots, if you can I would try and use hardwood. As I said, Jarrah is good and so is Cyprus pine. Have a go, start small and post up pics, alot of farkers are good Northshore builders and I am sure they will be happy to give you advice.

Cheers, Sam:cool:

Sam.

Eats Squid
they are pretty strong they can carry a load of bricks
Yes, but the weight is distributed and they don't drop bricks on them from 2 metres above like you do when you land on pallets on a bike.

Air time erik

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yesterday 09:59 PM
Jake Bengston Quote:

Dude a wooden pallet weighs about 35kgsand is made out of hardwood , Trust me when I say they arnt weak !!!

Can you tell the Difference between Soft and hard wood?

Dirt king

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Also if you are building the North Shore/drops in the bush, (If you do use pine) watch out, because you are just asking for the termites to come and eat it away on you, so if you were to use pine, get treated pine!(I think thats what it is called) :D

cjaty

Likes Dirt
I know it sounds bad but all the ramps I've built I spray deisel around the supports or where the ramp touches the ground and the termites dont go any where near it for years.I used this method cause all I could get with non treated pine when I was building my trail.

Jake Bengston

Likes Bikes
[$@M];964140 said:
Ummm no, don't trust him, not all pallets are made of hardwood, If you must use pallets, use chep ones as they are made out of hardwood (Jarrah to be presice). Avoid using treated pine as it rots, if you can I would try and use hardwood. As I said, Jarrah is good and so is Cyprus pine. Have a go, start small and post up pics, alot of farkers are good Northshore builders and I am sure they will be happy to give you advice.

Yeah buddy most are made from hardwood because a pallet mad from soft wood such as balsa aint gunna hold a bike and rider even if they where standing still on it.:rolleyes:

[$@M];964179 said:
Yes, but the weight is distributed and they don't drop bricks on them from 2 metres above like you do when you land on pallets on a bike.

I have done part time work with my dad's trucking business and we tow pallets with a jack that some-times hold 1 + Tonnes on them, the weight and force of a 17 kg bike from 2 or more metres wont do much damage.

ando_freeagent

Likes Bikes and Dirt
[$@M];964140 said:

lol are you serious treated pine is treated so it DOESNT ROT

matt.l

Likes Dirt
Can you tell the Difference between Soft and hard wood?
the soft wood is lighter in colour and if you pull the planks off it they will snap as they are like a cardboard texture. the hard wood pallats are hevier, darker, give you more splinters and if you look around the end nails you will likley see the wood has rotten around them as the companies find it cheaper to make crap wood pallats now and hard wood pallats are usualy a bit older.