Work emails

mtb_ts

Likes Bikes
Read this today on Crikey. Seems under the new Victorian government, milk rationing is now in force.

Dear Colleagues

The Department kindly supplies tea, coffee, chocolate and milk for the use of staff. Where possible, we try and cater for various dietary requirements, for example lite milk, soy milk, etc. This is a free service to staff and one that should be regarded as a service rather than a rite[sic]. With this in mind, I ask that milk is for adding to coffee or tea and should not be used as a regular drink or cereal additive. If you feel the need to have breakfast at work, then please bring your own milk supplies, label them with your name and place them in the refrigerator for your own personal use.
Your cooperation in this matter is for the benefit of all staff.

Regards

Nick Daicos
Group Manager, Business Services Land Victoria Department of Sustainability & Environment

floody

Wheel size expert
Seems pretty fair, why should someone expect to turn up and put as much milk in their cereal as someone else would drink in a week on the government tab?

Easy solution is to stop supplying it but then the public 'servants' would crack the shits (even if its common enough in private enterprise to provide your own)

brisneyland

Likes Dirt
They pulled some shit similar to this in QLD Health as well, although not to quite that extent.

It's just particularly galling because the only reason half of the middle management fuckwits actually have jobs is so they can send each other retarded emails like this and then say to their boss, 'Boss, I saved $37.29 last year, give me a bonus'.

Cost saving by cutting milk expenditure is fucking retarded. Heads need to roll.

Last edited:

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Why should you get any of it supplied? Some mongo politician must have invented that law to grab a few votes years ago and it has stuck. Its probably the same wanker that devised holiday loading. Good one champ, pay someone extra to not work.................
I buy my own coffee stuff and I don't share it. I'm mean.

Matt H

Eats Squid
Anyone else remember that brutal corporate email that was doing the rounds a few years ago? Some MD or someone tearing the employees apart, I can't remember the details but part of it had something to do with the carpark being empty before works over, etc.

floody

Wheel size expert
If you want unfairness in coffee policy, in Tasmania frontline school staff pay a central levy to the department of education for tea/coffee/milk/sugar, but management staff have a funded tab for coffee at a number of cafes around the state under the guise of 'safety', so they can stop and revive whilst travelling the enormous distances between major centres or even from the CBD to outer suburbs.

Ivan

Eats Squid
Sounds familiar Floody.

I worked at an industrial site where staff got coffee, and anyone on the EBA had to provide their own.
This included shift workers as well.

Knut

Troll hunter
Where I work, we get coffee. From a machine. The boss buys fucking good coffee. He loves his coffee. He loves sharing it with us. He doesn't let the secretary get some bullshit Nescafe Blend, whatever the fuck it is, crap from from the supermarket either. He supplies milk, sugar and even honey if we want. He supplies milk so we can have cereal, protien shakes or whatever the fuck we want to make us happy.

My boss is well aware that there are people out there who would grab at a couple of dollars to look good, stab one another in the back to try and cover the fact that they can't do their job that well. Those people aren't employed for long where I work. He knows that if we get small plusses, like coffee... We work our fucking arses off when he asks. He pays us. We don't complain and we stay.

wespelarno

Likes Dirt
Where I work, we get coffee. From a machine. The boss buys fucking good coffee. He loves his coffee. He loves sharing it with us. He doesn't let the secretary get some bullshit Nescafe Blend, whatever the fuck it is, crap from from the supermarket either. He supplies milk, sugar and even honey if we want. He supplies milk so we can have cereal, protien shakes or whatever the fuck we want to make us happy.

My boss is well aware that there are people out there who would grab at a couple of dollars to look good, stab one another in the back to try and cover the fact that they can't do their job that well. Those people aren't employed for long where I work. He knows that if we get small plusses, like coffee... We work our fucking arses off when he asks. He pays us. We don't complain and we stay.
My work keeps the break room freezer stocked with iceypoles over summer. Little things make a big difference.

Genius Josh

Likes Dirt
My boss is a prick I very rarely get to stop for breakfast, lunch or dinner and certainly don't get it paid for. Milk and honey.... If I didn't work for myself I'd give that tight arse a piece of my mind.

rotorub

Likes Dirt
Why should you get any of it supplied? Some mongo politician must have invented that law to grab a few votes years ago and it has stuck. Its probably the same wanker that devised holiday loading. Good one champ, pay someone extra to not work.................
I buy my own coffee stuff and I don't share it. I'm mean.
A love a person of principles!

Do you bring you own dunny paper and tissues to work too?

And if paid holiday loading do you pay it back to your employer because you dont belive in what some "wanker" did in a time gone by when working and conditions were far worse than now?

What I am trying to say is where do we draw the line?

Who cares its only a bit of milk.

With the woolies coles & milk war, milk is so cheap I bet that vic govt department is getting the milk bulk and cheap anyway!

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
My boss is a prick I very rarely get to stop for breakfast, lunch or dinner and certainly don't get it paid for. Milk and honey.... If I didn't work for myself I'd give that tight arse a piece of my mind.
heeee heeeee ... I can relate ... but my boss pays me to surf the net in search of new things :) I even get to ride every so often ... pay sux balls though

MasterOfReality

After forever
We have a huge Jura coffee machine in our work kitchen, but the admin lady buys Coles coffee beans for it!

We also get 8 x 2 litre milk delivered each day. Half full cream, the other half light.

There is about 5 different types of tea (Black, English Breakfast, Irish Breakfast, Green and Earl Grey).

We also have a beer fridge stocked with Corona's, James Squire (about 3 different types), Carlton Draught and Boags Light. Also in the same fridge is a selection of red and white wines, and a case of CC.

Also a huge container full of arnotts asssorted cremes.

This is for a office of around 30 people.

In my last job (which was federal government) we had a Saeco coffee machine. Milk supplies were good.

PINT of Stella. mate!

Many, many Scotches
No coffee, no worky. Simple as that!

Actually given that buying milk and coffee for your staff is more than likely tax-deductible anyway, any employer that still insists in holding out is most likely an incompetent clown with no decent people management skills who deserves to have all his best staff bugger off to places with better conditions.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
A love a person of principles!

Do you bring you own dunny paper and tissues to work too?

And if paid holiday loading do you pay it back to your employer because you dont belive in what some "wanker" did in a time gone by when working and conditions were far worse than now?

What I am trying to say is where do we draw the line?

Who cares its only a bit of milk.

With the woolies coles & milk war, milk is so cheap I bet that vic govt department is getting the milk bulk and cheap anyway!
Meh, I love my job and I want to keep it that way. I work in a place that has been family based for over sixty years and seeing some of the petty bullshit that has been created by unions and do gooders over time that costs an honest company a bucket load of cash that could be spent on better resources drives me nuts. The country is being filled with so many righteous laws that just take away from the point of having a respectable job and working to make money for the company and for yourself. I'm all for buying your own stuff to shove in your guts and not expecting useless hand outs from my workplace. Call me old fashioned but I hit my targets and respect my job. Too many people don't have that attitude and spend more time complaining about it than being productive.

TonyG

Likes Dirt
Shit Dozer, I'm glad I dont have you reviewing my work credit card bills!!! Don't worry about a few coffee's, it's the constaint $1,000 + lunches!! (I promise a few of them were work related)
I think your attitude to a family business is very admirable from an employees perspective.
However, in my experience Managers who lord over their teams with over-evangalistic type moral guidence often end up with a miserable team with a lot of in-fighting.
I find you get a lot more out of motivated and engaged staff than you do from those who are frighten and submissive. It costs a bit more, but you reduce staff turn-over and you always get good quality work from yoru staff.
On the other hand, I have caught staff taking the piss on my good graces. This gets you one very stern warning where I sit opposite you and demand acknowledgement of what's been done and that it wont be done again. If the behaviour does continue your gone, no ifs or buts.