Work experience

Jake_6693

Likes Dirt
Hey Farkers.
Im curious/bored at my work experience and was wondering where everyone did their work experience at?!

Im currently at the ABC Illwarra radio staion and wanting to become some sort of journalist.
I've helped produce some broadcasts, written news reports, been to press releases and trawled all possible threads ever created on this wonderful site.

so Enlighten me please :)

Thanks,
Jake

blakie49

Likes Dirt
I did my work experience at sandvik mining and construction in fairy meadow as a diesel mechanic.

Try to make it look like your interested it will help make you look good on your report. I went and done another week during my school holidays. And with that on my resume'. Employers were not wasting any time giving me a interview.

MasterOfReality

After forever
I did my work experience in the Sinter Plant at the Port Kembla BHP Steelworks in 1994. It sparked my interest in wanting to work in an industrial/mining area, although not as a shit kicker sweeping a floor.

Best tip is to stay interested and appear keen and don't criticise what you think are shortcomings in the place. Keep them to yourself.

my_bike

Likes Dirt
I did my first work experience at KFC, I should have tried to find a place and I already worked there so it was the easiest place to get in on short notice.

Just recently my school got me into Transfield services and worked as a contractor at Mobil Refinery, Altona North. Was not that exiting, just got a tour of the refinery then spent the rest inside the office building doing absolutely nothing.

J

JaRedy

I did mine as a fitter and turner, was pretty good which was a nice surprise to me. What sucked is for the first three days I was stuck with a quiet guy who said nothing unless he was spoken to, so soon I ran out of questions and it got very boring. Thankully they noticed and put me in the supervision of a person I could actually have a conversation with...

On the last day the head mechanic guy had a bit of mig wire(I think thats it) go through his glove and through pinkie which was pretty gross and impressive...
They said they would like to see me as an apprentice there next year but I diddn't really want to do that sort of thing as a job.

I did my first work experience at KFC, I should have tried to find a place and I already worked there so it was the easiest place to get in on short notice.
You did work experience at KFC; and you alredy worked there...:confused:

DWNHLR01

Likes Dirt
I did work experience at a performance vehicle workshop back in grade 10...

Was awesome...Didn't have to sweep or do any crappy jobs.

First day I pulled the manifold off a Valient Charger....Next day I helped pull a 351 out of a genuine ESP Falcon along with helping install ZEX nitrous into a BMW..

Worked on a 500awhp R32 GTR as well...Highlight was being in the passenger seat of one of the mechanics worked XR8 ute w/nitrous. Sideways at 120 is great fun.

When I finished, the owner of the workshop gave me all these cool things, stickers, promo gear, etc...And told me if I ever wanted to come work there again to let him know.

BUT, as much as I enjoyed it, wasn't for me.

Which is why I am now a Civil Designer.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
...I did my work exp. at the You Yangs, when it was a National park....probably in 1983...top job too, wish i could have stayed there...no sign of bikes there in those days...

Hopper

Likes Dirt
I've done 10 weeks in mineral exploration in Northern SA. I am also going to Tasmania in 2 weeks for a four week vacation position at the Rosebery Lead-Zinc mine.

Anyone know what the riding is like around that area? I'm building my DJ bike up with parts to make it more all mountian like to take with me.

NASHWORTH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I did mine at a graphic design place earlier this year. Enjoyed it so much, definitely trying to make a career for myself in that type of industry.

I was already pretty keen on graphic design, but it just gave a much better insight into what happens in terms of client meetings etc.

The funny thing that I found was, that I was using CS3 on my laptop and they were only using CS and CS2. Also, Marty the web design guy got me to try and install kalyway leopard OSX on my external HD, didn't have enough fire power to put it on that, so we tried it on my actual laptop HD. Crashed it. My LBS wasn't too far away from where I was so I just went down there for lunch.

Now to decide whether to go to uni or tafe after travelling :S