Work in Shipping Industry

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Evening Guys and Gals,

I've just moved to Fremantle from Sydney, and I'm now looking for a new job. Has anybody any experience in working in the Shipping Industry in Australia. More specifically in the sales/customer service side of international Marine Shipping. I've applied for a couple of jobs related to the industry and was wondering about the "vibe" of the industry. The advantages to me is that all the offices are close to home, and the potential for posting overseas/promotions seem pretty good.

Cheers
Dunk

liamo

Likes Dirt
Has anybody any experience in working in the Shipping Industry in Australia. More specifically in the sales/customer service side of international Marine Shipping. I've applied for a couple of jobs related to the industry and was wondering about the "vibe" of the industry.
I don't work in the industry but I'd one of your customers. I'd say the industry vibe is positive; busy, hard working. Reasonably long hours though.

If it's a sales position where you're cold calling and out on the road trying to get new customers it'd be a pretty rough job, I'd probably tell you to stay away. If it's an office job dealing with existing customers and managing their accounts it'd be more interesting. Expect your customers to make unreasonable demands of you to achieve things beyond your control...

From my perspective the smaller businesses seem to have a higher workload but they would be more varied, interesting and rewarding. I wouldn't be looking for work with a large business unless you were in a reasonably senior position.

HTH

Liam

dunk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Liam,

The job is with Maersk in an inbound sales/support role. As for unreasonable demands, I'm used to working with Architects and Interior Desecraters, so it wouldn't be anything new in that regard. I've got a second interview on Friday so I'll see how it goes. the benefits to me are pretty good, 1km from home, close to the beach for a swim at lunch/after work etc etc

[Ozy]

Squid
Maersk are fine, have a fairly good staff retention rate, their call centre is based in Brisbane mostly, so Sydney wouldnt be filled with mundane "Hi can I get charges for a particular vessel please)

Great parties, fantastic staff, and as u said, openings and avenues for travel e.t.c.

Good luck and welcome to sydney

'Ross

Eats Squid
[Ozy];1080799 said:
Maersk are fine, have a fairly good staff retention rate, their call centre is based in Brisbane mostly, so Sydney wouldnt be filled with mundane "Hi can I get charges for a particular vessel please)

Great parties, fantastic staff, and as u said, openings and avenues for travel e.t.c.

Good luck and welcome to sydney
Pretty sure he is moving away from Sydeny;)