Working "from the inside" trying to encourage Local Councils to build MTB Tracks

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
To all Trail Advocates,

Thought all the AWESOME Trail Advocates and Builders would be interested in knowing what I'm currently up to...

I work as a Senior Risk Consultant with an organisation known as Liability Mutual Insurance (previously known as Civic Mutual Plus, or CMP) who currently provide Public Liability & Professional Indemnity Insurance for ALL of the Local Councils here in Victoria and in Tasmania. I haven't been in the organisation all that long (around 3.5 years), however one think I've noticed - and no doubt you've all seen it before - is the seeming "relactance" of Local Governments (in Victoria particularly) of having any involvement with "off-road" pathways/tracks for Mountain Bikers. Be it the "stigma" attached to the sport, the prevelance of "illegal" trails, poor previous experiences, a fear of being sued, or a combination of everything - it appears to me as though they cannot see through all of the potential "negatives" to enable then to see the "positives". They never consult with us - their Insurer - however it is quite common for them to raise "insurance" as a factor. Let me put this to rest once and for all - no Insurer in Australia would specifically exclude this activity.

This was highlighted even further when I recently visited a couple of locations in Tasmania - namely the North South Track (including Tolosa) and the trails around Launceston. Not only have they done a very good job and managed to comply (as far as I can tell) with IMBA recommendations, these facilities are largely on Council-owned Land - something you almost NEVER see in Victoria (I personally know of none - all are on Crown Land).

To cut a long story short, I have arranged for some reps of IMBA to attend and present at a Local Government Risk & Insurance Conference we are hosting in Melbourne in early October, in the hope they are able to show not only how things should and can be done, but also all of the really good reasons they should look at developing such venues in their own regions. While it is unlikely they will start building DH trails (mainly due to the terrain that is needed is not available on Council-owned Land), I am at least hopeful of convincing them of the potential benefits of MTB trails.

This conference is only open to Local Government employees, and I doubt will have any massive immediately effect, but thought it'd possibly bring some hope to all those trail advocates and builders out there who have been struggling with Councils. You have someone trying to make a difference now from the other end for change!

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
This makes me happy :)

Any chance of a report on how the conference went? Attendance etc? would be interesting to know if the councils are interested.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
This makes me happy :)

Any chance of a report on how the conference went? Attendance etc? would be interesting to know if the councils are interested.
Absolutely - I'll be sure to post some outcomes / feedback afterwards.

I'll also hopefully get permission from IMBA to post their presentation so that it can be seen by others... This can sometimes be difficult depending on content, but I'll see what I can do.

Wisey

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good stuff Dan. It will only take one or two success stories and the momentum will explode, its there already. Trails will be built all over the place, exciting times ahead for MTB.

retroenduro

Likes Dirt
Good stuff Dan. It will only take one or two success stories and the momentum will explode, its there already. Trails will be built all over the place, exciting times ahead for MTB.
Wisey, the snowball is already rolling and picking up speed....nowadays whenever you open an Aussie mtb mag its new trail here new trail there....kinda gives you a warm fuzzy feeling!

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, here's the missing link or elephant in the room. When the insurer says the LMs talk liability without conferring with them, it is time to address that directly. Perhaps this intervention will be successful. Congratulations on a very good idea and looking forward to the feedback.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Dubbo, NSW, Council built trail

Hi guys,

here in the Central West of NSW I work for Dubbo City Council as a land manager. One of the Reserves I manage has, for a very long time, been a dumping ground for domestic and commercial waste and increasingly a shooting alley for intravenous drugs. Also targeted by moto riders (but isnt everywhere?).

As a response I brought together the neighbours and the MTB club Im a part of, Council invested in physical barriers at all illegal entry points (the rat runs that let dumpers get out of sight to carry out their nefarious activities) to block the dumpers and the junkies (and it slowed down the moto riders), and the MTB club ran a series of weekend working bees to design and build a shared use/XC trail under my supervision (IMBA trained). we now have 4.5km of trail, very well signposted, on the edge of Dubbo (40,000 people+).

Councils risk management consultant has visited the site with me and given it the sign off, it is now a component of our Defined Asset Management Policy and was opened by the mayor. many positive media stories about the turnaround, the Reserve has now been nominated for two environmental management awards and I will be presenting a paper on its resurrection through recreation to the national Parks and Leisure Australia conference in a few weeks.

here its been a win/win. No more dumping, junkies have moved on and the motos hate riding the deliberately tight trails so theyve moved on, all this makes the community happy. The local MTB community have a new trail on their doorsteps, so its good for community health as well. And of course positive PR for Council

It can happen.

bikesarefun

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, here's the missing link or elephant in the room. When the insurer says the LMs talk liability without conferring with them, it is time to address that directly. Perhaps this intervention will be successful. Congratulations on a very good idea and looking forward to the feedback.
So true. Recently had a meeting with Statewide Mutual (who insure many NSW councils) regarding some local dirt jumps. Their views on liability were very different from the relevant local council's, and they were quite willing to work with us to develop a solution so Councils could feel conformable that their insurance can cover dirt jumps. But more on that later....

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Hi guys,

here in the Central West of NSW I work for Dubbo City Council as a land manager. One of the Reserves I manage has, for a very long time, been a dumping ground for domestic and commercial waste and increasingly a shooting alley for intravenous drugs. Also targeted by moto riders (but isnt everywhere?).

As a response I brought together the neighbours and the MTB club Im a part of, Council invested in physical barriers at all illegal entry points (the rat runs that let dumpers get out of sight to carry out their nefarious activities) to block the dumpers and the junkies (and it slowed down the moto riders), and the MTB club ran a series of weekend working bees to design and build a shared use/XC trail under my supervision (IMBA trained). we now have 4.5km of trail, very well signposted, on the edge of Dubbo (40,000 people+).

Councils risk management consultant has visited the site with me and given it the sign off, it is now a component of our Defined Asset Management Policy and was opened by the mayor. many positive media stories about the turnaround, the Reserve has now been nominated for two environmental management awards and I will be presenting a paper on its resurrection through recreation to the national Parks and Leisure Australia conference in a few weeks.

here its been a win/win. No more dumping, junkies have moved on and the motos hate riding the deliberately tight trails so theyve moved on, all this makes the community happy. The local MTB community have a new trail on their doorsteps, so its good for community health as well. And of course positive PR for Council

It can happen.
The Pogonip trail in Santa Cruz is another example where MTB advocacy has paid off and is "reclaiming" space from the underworld. It is win/win for everyone.

There has been a great team effort out at Menai as well and things have moved along nicely since the blanket ban...it is still isn't open but progress has been made council has made funding available for an MTB park releasing PR statements in the local papers. It isn't too difficult, it's just a matter of collating the concerns from all the stakeholders and making a proposal that ticks everyone's boxes...sounds simple when I say it like that.

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
Progress is certainly being made...

Clearly not all scenarios are the same, and there are many Council who are making positive steps around the country.

Often their concerns are legitimate - perhaps more a reflection of the "maturity" of the respective proposals and those making the applications than anything else - but I think the more people we can make aware of the benefits, the more proposals will be taken seriously.

Keep up the good work all - there are a hell of a lot more facilities now days than in the past. And I truly expect - in the next decade of there abouts - we'll see a similar explosion in the development of MTB facilities as we've seen in recent times with Skate Parks...

Brooksy007

Likes Dirt
IMBA presentation received well

To all those who are interested in how things went,

Marty Kreig presented very well, and I got the perception - after speaking with a number of Council reps - that it was "eye opening" in many ways...

Firstly - & I think most promising for trail advocates - is that it was the first time they had really had the riders culture and their "reasonable" expectations explained in a way that meant something to Councils. Ie. I beleive that more will be willing to at least give proposals "worthwhile" consideration, rather than just looking at us riders as another expense.

Secondly - & and maybe just as good - is that they could see that many - even if they dont own/manage great terrain for a bike park or trail network that would be like to be successfull - they can play many roles from setting up trails from the more "urbanised" areas to the bike parks/trail networks that are owned/managed by others (DSE, Parks Vic, event private...). This clearly allows the local community to benefit further than if people are able to ride to/from the trails/park to the local shops, etc.

Thirdly - probably more amusing than anything - is the way Marty explained the different types of riders, from XC through AM, DH, Pump tracks/urban, etc. He had examples of the various designs, set-ups etc. Very good. I think they all got a little scared when they saw the DH and some trail (cant remember the name) in WA...

Attendance was approx. 85, with 56 Councils represented, inlcuding 2 from Tasmania.

We'll be doing some type of survey for feedback no doubt, but will have to see what that tells us if anything more...

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Marty (and Nic) are great for smoothing the way. Very relaxed and they appreciate the concerns of the LMs. There is no doubt that having their assistance in this area has been a significant factor in turning our LM (QldPWS) from very reluctant into your dream LM. They are now open to casual discussion, variations in planning and really want to help us get all our local trails running legally and kept in good shape. It has been so good to see the fear of litigation turn into enthusiasm for MTB.

You have done a good thing Brooksy and GuerieMTB. The tide is turning.