Workplace inequality issue...

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
Good Afternoon,

im looking around for a new place to work
one of the reasons i am doing this is because my currently work has made it very clear that flexible work hours are not the go UNLESS you arent me (pretty much)

there are a number of people who can have fantastically flexible hours with very little justification

the main one being "dropping the kids off at school" etc

now i dont mean to sound like a dick about this, but i have been working as a professional now for ten years at 3 different places and this keeps coming up.
people with kids seem to be able to do whatever they want.
i have made a concious decision to NOT have kids up to this point (probably for the best if you have met me...)
yet am constantly penalised for it in the workplace.
im a very hard worker, always going the extra mile + helping out with extra hours as required by the job (including interstate travel) all of which i am not paid to do.

so my question is, if i start a new job should i just make up a fake kid and reep the rewards????

anyone ever heard of this? it sounds so simple, no-one is ever going to check! chuck some pics of my nieces and nephews on my desk and BAM instant family :rockon:

StanTheMan

Likes Dirt
Good Afternoon,

one of the reasons i am doing this is because my currently work has made it very clear that flexible work hours are not the go UNLESS you arent me (pretty much)

there are a number of people who can have fantastically flexible hours with very little justification

now i dont mean to sound like a dick about this, but i have been working as a professional now for ten years at 3 different places and this keeps coming up.
i have made a concious decision to NOT have kids up to this point (probably for the best if you have met me...)
im a very hard worker, always going the extra mile + helping out with extra hours as required by the job (including interstate travel) all of which i am not paid to do.

so my question is, if i start a new job should i just make up a fake kid and reep the rewards????

anyone ever heard of this? it sounds so simple, no-one is ever going to check! chuck some pics of my nieces and nephews on my desk and BAM instant family :rockon:
man I'd just suck it up.....you'll be found out. And you'll be a bigger Penis than you sound like now.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Get a government job. You'll fit in perfect there. All they do all day is bitch about each other and look for other jobs.

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
Just get a job that gives you the flexibility you need.
As a parent, sometimes but rearely I need to leave work early (child breaks leg at school, Wife collapsed and having fit/frothing at mouth with baby in her care while the nighbours try and kick the door down to help).
If your reasons for leaving work are that urgent, but non-child related then you should have no problems asking for time out when you need it.
If parents are arriving an hour late because they "Had to drop the kids at school" then that parent needs to manage their time better and it's a crap excuse and your boss is a d*ck for letting them walk all over them.

Don't make up kids. You won't be able to maintain such a high maintence lie.

The secret is, don't ask your boss for time off. Tell your boss you are not available, and just let them know you won't be in.

That's what I have always done and it's never been a problem. Kids or no kids.

moorey

call me Mia
Taking work home is shit enough to warrant staying and doing the job at the 'office'......Just be like me and say you're working from home, arrive late, leave early, and yet do nothing after walking out the door. Problem solved, close the thread.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Hello jail time for fraud!

It sounds like you're seeing a side of the fence that you don't understand too much of because you don't have kids and don't realise the responsibility required to maintain them. I think it is a good thing your workplace looks out for it's staff that way, it keeps the worker happy and we all know the saying about a happy worker..........
Still, I absolutely detest the "us and them" attitude in many work places and I don't play any of the wanna be games that arise.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If everyone else in your workplace has it so easy why are you doing this?

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If everyone else in your workplace has it so easy why are you doing this?
+1

Just a new job, and start out slack…

The problem you’ve created for yourself is that you are a hard worker, happy to work 16hr days and whatever other bullshit; all the while your co-workers rock up at 9:30, fuck off at 3 every day, and seem to do fuck all in between. What this has done is create an expectation of your performance, subsequently when you need that day off, or just CBF’ed your seen as the lazy prick. Next thing you know you’re getting raked over the coals because something didn’t get done and they need someone to blame.

When I started my new job recently, I outlined my intentions from day one – flexible start / finish / work times or I’m not interested.

fimpBIKES

Likes Dirt
meh, government job... not much in my field unfortunately

i should correct my previous statement
understandably if my fiancee broke her leg i am sure i could go to hospital (as would someone with a child)

the thing is that employees with children are allowed to say organise late starting times say 3 days a week as a permanent thing.
i would love to be able to work from home 2 days/week, i know i am able to achieve tasks in hotel rooms emailing with my (privately owned...) phone so its not impossible. I have proven that i can do this kind of work but it is still not allowed.

im also doing renovations, so the ability to work 2-3 days a week 7am-3:30pm would be fantastic (especially at this time of year!) but once again this is not a valid reason.

perhaps where i work is simply too old fashioned. i know that without the boss in my corner i am probably never going to achieve this kind of work enviroment.

the initial question probably should be branched out to ask if anyone HAS achieved what i am trying to do with a boss who wasnt forward thinking/on-side?
i have tried the hard-line as per harmonix and due to my non-team-player attitude i have had warnings to drop it.
i dont see the need for me to achieve MY goals

re:
jailtime? how is this possible? im not claiming things on tax?
i know i dont have kids, but i am fully aware of the time it takes to do things. Brothers & many friends have kids and i hear all the stories.
I empathise with the plight of parents, but my life choices should also be supported shouldnt they?

rb baby

Likes Dirt
To the OP I think it's great work ethic to go beyond whats expected of you and if everybody displayed the same quality then there wouldn't be an issue...

I'm with you on this except the making up of kids that's just retarded...

You should follow protocol and raise the issue ( documented ) with an immediate Supervisor in regards to what's considered an ACCEPTABLE amount of time over say a year for carer's or compassionate leave which needs to be documented and deducted from annual leave allowance etc, I'm sure its written in a contract that everyone has signed.
If this doesn't return a result that is fair then go one up to a Superintendent / Manager etc..., As I'm sure they will have the company's best interest in mind and will agree that lost time = lost productivity ?

In my view if you can't meet the expectations of the contract you signed then you are in breach of the contract and you can't do the job !

And along with Inequality it could also be viewed as discrimination.

I think you raise a very real and valid topic which certain people ( not all ) abuse.

If you haven't tried this or cbf'd then do what everybody else does and whinge or deal with it in your own special way like stealing stationary or something haha

I do not have children,

Good luck...

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
My wife was a public servant for 11 years. Going to any of their functions was just torture. All they would talk about was looking for other jobs and their next holiday.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
re:
jailtime? how is this possible? im not claiming things on tax?
i know i dont have kids, but i am fully aware of the time it takes to do things. Brothers & many friends have kids and i hear all the stories.
I empathise with the plight of parents, but my life choices should also be supported shouldnt they?
You don't think it's possible that an employer finds out you've lied to him three days a week saying you're dropping the kids off at the pool when in reality you're doing your house up and your boss is being bent over to cater for it? If I were a boss in that situation then I would not only send you packing but I'd make sure you got paid some extra attention from John E Law.

Whenever I get special treatment at my workplace I see it as a bonus, not a requirement. I'm more than happy to have my wonderful job and I do more than my best to keep my job. A good attitude goes a long way and special treatment is something you need to earn.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
Mr fimpBIKES, you don't seem to be garnering much support in this thread, but I think you really have a point. As a parent, I totally understand the need for work flexibility. But the way I see it, either a job can be worked flexibly, or not. If your employer is able to allow flexible work hours, they are in my view discriminating against you by not giving you the same opportunity as the rest of us breeders. Being a parent does not suddenly bestow upon you some kind of extra human rights, or mean that you are more important than someone else. If you, Mr FimpBIKES, are a reliable, trustworthy productive employee, and your workplace is capable of providing flexibility, you should be able to access that flexibility in the same way as your coworkers.

In my opinion.

Others may disagree.

scblack

Leucocholic
Good Afternoon,

How have you been "penalised"???? Really, tell us how you have actually been penalised and we'll take your thread seriously. Otherwise HTFU, stop pretending to take your job seriously.

You do realise that "flexibility" means that the other employees have to make up their flexible hours at other times, OR , receive reduced pay for the lesser hours they work. Or did this fact escape you........