Workstands - What's out there?

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
looking for a well made workstand. Would love one that's made in Aus. The old gripsport one seemed like the goods. Unfortunately I don't think Jon makes them anymore.

I've been looking at the park tool prs 40

Doesn't have to be bench / wall mounted, but I'm struggling to find anything that looks stable. Price isn't too much of an issue as I never want to buy another one.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have that bench mounted park one above, it's great and very solid (4 decent screws is overkill) but it is semi permanent depending on how much ventilation your bench or wall needs.

thatsnotme

Likes Dirt
I've also got the Park Tools PCS9 - love it.

One thing I've never understood with bench / wall mounted stands, is what happens when you need to work on the other side of the bike? I love the freedom of being able to walk around the bike with my floor stand. Seems to me like the others would be very restrictive?

slippy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had one of those in our shop. Built like a tank to take constant use. Possibly overkill for home use.

Like thatsnotme I also use a Park Tools PCS-9 stand. Good value & perfect for regular home use- bikes are on it a few times a month (been used & shared around for the last 2yrs). Also packs away easily.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
These are Aussie

http://wurkstand.com/index.html

Mate uses them in his shop in Bris. I'd have one if I hadn't spent big $ on a topeak already.

I have heard that they're sorting the front axle business or you could get one of those fork up adaptors.

BB support means you don't have to think about clamping your frame/post but you DO need to remove the front wheel which some might not like?

These are pretty cool, portable and minimal but not amazing for a full rebuild....
http://scorpionbikestands.com/

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
I've also got the Park Tools PCS9 - love it.

One thing I've never understood with bench / wall mounted stands, is what happens when you need to work on the other side of the bike? I love the freedom of being able to walk around the bike with my floor stand. Seems to me like the others would be very restrictive?

Bench/wall mount are generally more stable, and are good in smaller spaces where having a stand in the middle of your work area isn't possible.

Like you, I prefer the free standing ones though, set it up in the back yard out in the sun, crack a brew, get to work :)

Will31

Likes Bikes
Park Tool PCS10 here, a mate has the PCS9 and the consensus is that the PCS10 is easier to use, it has a quick action lever on the clamp which makes putting the bike in a lot easier.
Freestanding is the way to go, good for taking to stage races and I find it much easier to wash the bike on the stand.

Last edited:

frenchman

Eats cheese. Sells crack.
Thanks for the suggestions :drum:

I was hoping to get the PRS 4 clamp on the PCS 9/10 stand but that combination doesn't seem to be available. So I'll settle for the PCS - 4- 1 I think. I'm a big fan of the clamp, most of the shops I've been to seem to favour them also. I'll save the bench / floor mounted one until I get my own I place I think!