World 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships, 1999 - 2012.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Tinker considers Dog Sled Racing

GibsonPictures.24W.B11E2520 2.jpg

Tinker Juarez flew north this past weekend to Canmore, Alberta, Canada, site of the 2012 World 24 Hour Solo Championships happening this September 14.
Earlier this winter, organizers of the World 24 Hour Mountain Bike Championships staged a contest to ‘Train with Tinker, Cory Wallace and Leighton Poidevin.’ Saturday morning the four contest winners got on their road bikes at the Ascent Performance Lab in Canmore and lined up beside three of the best 24 Hour riders on the planet for a stationary bike time trial.

The man with the most famous dreadlocks in mountain biking pulled away from the group early on, while Canadian 24 Hour veteran Leighton Poidevin cruised in for second place. It was a good opportunity for everyone to see where they stand next to Tinker who is logging 30 hours a week this time of year and routinely does 6-hour road rides back home in Whittier, California to build his fitness.

Afterwards Tinker and Cory Wallace each climbed aboard a dogsled and dueled it out on main street as part of the Canmore Winter Carnival festivities. Wallace, the reigning Canadian 24 Hour Solo Champion from Jasper, Alberta took the win with Tinker finishing close behind.

Later on that evening, fans and fellow racers from the 24 Hour racing scene gathered at the Drake Pub for a ‘Q & A’ session with Tinker, Cory and Leighton. The topics: 29r’s versus 26 inch bikes, nutrition, pacing, lighting systems, seeing things in the dark and the domination of Australian rider Jason English who has won the World 24 Hour MTB Championships in the solo category twice. Everyone sitting in on this discussion caught a rare glimpse into the minds of these three elite endurance riders. And they all left with some insight into each other’s strategies for this year’s showdown on two wheels.

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
What's this white stuff... Tinker vs. Cory vs. Leighton.

This past weekend the Town of Canmore and the Nordic Centre hosted the worlds best IBU racers and so we thought why not get involved with some of the great endurance mtbers.

Heres what took place:

Feature on Bike Magazine: http://www.bikemag.com/

Feature including interviews on Pedal Magazine: http://pedalmag.com/?p=149454

Cory Wallace write up: http://www.corywallace.com/2012/02/weekend-with-a-gdl/

Photo's on 24HOA facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/24-Hours-of-Adrenalin-Canmore/109625625787403

Attachments

Last edited:

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Wallace dusts off his pedals in desert race.

Wallace with convincing early season win in the desert...

Just a week removed from Dog Sled Racing with Tinker Juarez in Canmore Alberta, Cory Wallace (Kona) stamped on his pedals and dusted the competition. What makes this a remarkable win is that Wallace has been only back on the bike for three weeks after spending the better part of the winter in the frozen north of Alberta, clearing trees. Wallace stormed out to an early lead within the first 6 hrs (~18 minutes) only to have Kyle Colavito take the lead into the early a.m. hours when Wallace then retook the lead finishing with an impressive 18 laps of the 16 mile course for the win (288 miles).

Wallace the number two ranked solo 24h racer will compete this September at the World 24 Hour MTB Championships in Canmore.

Screen Shot 2012-02-21 at 1.40.52 PM.jpg

Last edited:

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Watch Tinker Video Interview

Watch the Tinker Jaurez video... click on the image as Tinker talks 24h racing leading into the September 2012 W24C in Canmore.

Tinker is actually siting in the pit zone some 200 days before the race.

Tinker.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
"Endurance within" the book.

Rob Lee won his category at the W24C / WSC back in Whistler 2005. Recently he focused his energy on a book entitled "Endurance within" which I received yesterday. I believe only 100 copies have been produced and after the first couple chapters this morning over a cup of coffee I wanted to let the endurance tribe know about this project. Here is a link to Rob's book. http://kinesismorvelo-rob-lee.posterous.com/my-book-pre-order-date-announced Congratulations Rob!

Endurance with by Rob Lee.jpg

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
#2 Ranked 24h solo rider in the world... Cory Wallace video Interview

Part of our ongoing video interviews, here is the second one featuring Cory Wallace.

All ready 42+ countries have watched this video and closing in on 2,000 loads.

http://vimeo.com/37451116

cory.jpg

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
No Solo success comes without a team...

As endurance riders we all know that it takes a team of supporters to allow us to be the best on any given day... it's no different come race week for organizers who rely on great passionate people to work and volunteer.

Today we celebrate our operations directors birthdate.

Save a piece of cake for us this September Kevin!

Cheers

Kevin_Card.jpg

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Another strong European rider joins confirmed list of riders

Another strong European rider joins the best elite field since 1999. Zdenek Kriz was an impressive 3rd at The Scott behind Jason English and Andrew Bell in 2008. Also Kriz won the European solo championships beating BAUER Gerald a former top finisher at W24C / WSC.

www.W24C.com

stuartwsc

Likes Bikes
Another Belgium rider registered today...

The International field of riders continues to grow.

Another Belgium rider registered today :)

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Sh1t, thats some seriously big (and incredibly disappointing) news!
Looks like WEMBO is the world champs now...

Last edited:

Rambler

Likes Dirt
Wow! From a mega successful 2010 with a massive 400 solo riders to a cancelled event in 2011 and now again in 2012. I guess its all about location, location, location.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Wembo

After there was no Adrenalin World Solo 24 Champs in 2011 to follow on from Canberra in 2010, a group of clubs/promoters (including the club that brought you 2010) formed WEMBO and held the first WEMBO World Solo 24Hr Championships in Finale Ligure, Italy, in May 2012. (Fantastic place - I'm taking the family back there for a holiday next year).

. 2013 will be in Canberra, Australia.
. 2014 will be in Fort William, Scotland.
. and we're chatting with various races about 2015 in the Americas (North and South).

Then its on a rotation system. The main thing here is to provide a predictable, regular and reliable set of quality 24 hour events around the world, with lots of advance notice for the riders.

Full details on the WEMBO website.

The WEMBO members are currently discussing what we can do to provide racing opportunities for riders who have trained for the Canmore race. Probably have an announcement ready to go in a day. If you are an Aussie rider who was entered for Canmore this September, please email us and we'll see what we can do for you for the Scott.

akashra

Eats Squid
They'd been putting out press releases claiming how this was the biggest elite field in ages, yada yada - so what happened? :wacko:
I notice they're threatening to remove anything negative anyone says on the FB page, suppose that explains just one of many reasons the event is dead.

wilddemon

Likes Dirt
What surprises me the most is after the continuous plugging on RB stuartwsc didn't come one and make the announcement himself. From the link tho sounds like he is rather crestfallen. He may be building up to it.
Would be great to hold the 2013 at Canberra!! :high5:

akashra

Eats Squid
It would be only fair that it be posted in six different threads plus a new thread created in two subforums for the news ;)

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
What surprises me the most is after the continuous plugging on RB stuartwsc didn't come one and make the announcement himself. From the link tho sounds like he is rather crestfallen. He may be building up to it.
Aren't the WEMBO champs in Canberra already in 2013?

How pissed off/furious would you be if you'd planned to go there? Spent thousands on airfare for you and your family and trained your ass off for it, then for it to be cancelled with a months notice!! This is when additional insurance is worth the $

courts

Likes Bikes
yeh pissed off/furious is one way to put it. I wrote a blog on it
http://therollingadventures.blogspot.com.au/

$4000 on airfares, epic battle just to get leave, hours spent training... all for nothing... Insurance didnt cover it as the unforeseen circumstance of an event cancellation had nothing to do with the airline. Can't just go over anyway for a holiday as my leave was granted purely based on a "representing Australia at a World Champs" condition. Will lose about $500 to get a refund on flights so not too bad. Just embarrasing telling collegues/mates that the race was cancelled.... makes the sport seem a little mickey mouse...

pretendingtoride

Likes Bikes
yeh pissed off/furious is one way to put it. I wrote a blog on it
http://therollingadventures.blogspot.com.au/

$4000 on airfares, epic battle just to get leave, hours spent training... all for nothing... Insurance didnt cover it as the unforeseen circumstance of an event cancellation had nothing to do with the airline. Can't just go over anyway for a holiday as my leave was granted purely based on a "representing Australia at a World Champs" condition. Will lose about $500 to get a refund on flights so not too bad. Just embarrasing telling collegues/mates that the race was cancelled.... makes the sport seem a little mickey mouse...
No words that anyone writes or says will make it any easier for your courts and I feel for you! Surprises me that insurance doesn't cover it though, i would have thought 'event cancellation' would have been covered. Was it normal travel insurance, or specific bike insurance?

Can you enter the Scott 24 Solo? I assume it would have an impact on your training, as you would have been training to be in peak condition in Aug/Sept, rather than October when the Scott is... but if that is an option then it's perhaps a softener to the blow.... and of course, the fact that you can represent Australia in Australia in the Wembo World Champs next year :)

I've got the huge respect for 24hour riders, as do most of the mtb'ing fraternity i talk to, you're a special bunch, one that I aspire to join, keep ya head up and try to stay as positive as possible, you're an inspiration to a lot of mtb'ers out there!

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
Great Minds ... ...

Aren't the WEMBO champs in Canberra already in 2013?
Yes, and Yes. That's what we thought back in 2010, and made it happen in 2011 when WEMBO got formed.

In case you're one of those "align the planets" people, 2013 is:
. the 15th anniversary of the first 24Hr race in Australia (in Canberra).
. the 10th anniversary of the Canberra bush fires which burnt Stromlo, and from which Stromlo Forest Park was created.
. the 100th anniversary of the city of Canberra.

Entries for both this year's Scott 24 and the 2013 WEMBO World Solo 24Hr Championships are already open. We already have over 20 entries for the 2013 world champs - more than a year out from the starting gun.