World Champs: Mont Sainte Anne

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
HUGE LIFT Sam.

Great to have Aussie champions considering the season - no one in the top ten.

Adrian

Junkie (not the adrenalin type either)
Wrecked his ankle early, then did something to his hand in the last practice or timed session.

Update: Mark Baretter just congratulated Sam on Sunrise. That ws a surprise!!! No mention of Troy or Caroline.
Wow that is a surprise, I thought they may have mentioned it on the Today show this morning, but to busy rubbishing on about NRL, AFL, soccer and netball........ :confused:

World champions mustn't rate a mention over that type of thing, i wonder if it would have been different it had been Cadell Evans?

Anyway great result and a nice way to end the international racing year :D

Ryan

Radministrator
Just got home from work and was firstly "What?!" at the fact that Sam won, then "WHAT??!!" at the fact that Steve Smith was second. Anyone who picked that top 5 deserves a medal.

jjperko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
http://freecaster.tv/mtb/1012935/sam-hill-and-stevie-smith-head-to-head

Sam and Steve Smith head to head. Steve lost a bit of time near the end in a near crash, prob not 2 seconds but wouldve been a bit closer.

Anyone else wonder about Sam coming back last week for Windham and looking very cautious? Was it all a ploy to avoid pressure and play mind games on the others? The world cup meant nothing to him obviously at the final round so maybe he wasn't trying too hard? Just seems weird that a week after "struggling" on a ~2min course he can pull out a win like that on the most physical track of the year.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Just seems weird that a week after "struggling" on a ~2min course he can pull out a win like that on the most physical track of the year.
...and that's why we love him!

dirt lover

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anyone else wonder about Sam coming back last week for Windham and looking very cautious? Was it all a ploy to avoid pressure and play mind games on the others? The world cup meant nothing to him obviously at the final round so maybe he wasn't trying too hard? Just seems weird that a week after "struggling" on a ~2min course he can pull out a win like that on the most physical track of the year.
It was also very likely that as well as it being a ploy to lou people into a false sense of security that he didn't want to risk injuring it seeing as it didn't matter.

Mr_hANky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
He didn't want to goninto whindam and smash everyone because he would have been raped by the media. He purposely held back at whindam. He hardly pedaled just chilled, cause he had nothing to gain from winning that race except shiploads of media attention. He was to far behind on points so what was the point. It was all planned.

Btw i know this because Tony his trainer told him too so he went into mont Anne without the media pressure.

F1234K

Likes Dirt
After seeing that... Smith was well in for the win until his mishap. Until about a corner before his near crash he was consistently in front (I'm assuming the video is in sync)! It would have been close, but I think he could have done it.

That would have been so cool if he had kept it together for the win...

The very interesting part was how little Steve pedaled compared to Sam and still remained just as fast...

ademb

Likes Dirt
After seeing that... Smith was well in for the win until his mishap. Until about a corner before his near crash he was consistently in front (I'm assuming the video is in sync)! It would have been close, but I think he could have done it.

That would have been so cool if he had kept it together for the win...

The very interesting part was how little Steve pedaled compared to Sam and still remained just as fast...
I always find it amusing when people make these comparisons, "oh B rider would of definitely beaten A rider if he hadnt crashed etc etc." End of the day thats racing, sure smith might of been faster in sections but Sam didnt slip up cause he was the better rider on the day. Thats all it comes down to.

Not having a go at you mate, just a general thing ive noticed, same was said bout Peaty when he binned it at Windham whilst running quick.

Viv92

Eats Squid
Wonder how much time Steve Smith would have lost from that sketchy moment at the end?

Probs not 2 and a half seconds, but still would have been close.