World Class Downhillers take National Series

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
World Ranked downhillers, Tracey Hannah (Cairns) and Nathan Rennie (Gold Coast) competing in the second round of the National Mountain Bike Series on the Gold Coast proved too hard to beat. Hannah currently ranked third in the world dominated the women’s field and rode a respectable 3 min 49.33 sec. The 19 year old beat second place getter Emma McNaughton (Newcastle) by a massive 34 seconds over the 2.3 km course.

“I love racing the local Australian races,” said Hannah. “There is so much support.”

Hannah admitted she found some sections of the world class course tricky but is determined to compete at the National Championships in Canberra late in January.

“It was tight in the woods with rocks and roots. I was struggling but I’m happy with my run,” she said.

Series leader, Claire Whiteman (Canberra) placed third and retains the series lead.

World number 7, Nathan Rennie, left nothing to chance when he barrelled down the Illinbah course in record time of 3 min 13.74 sec. He took a full 6 seconds off another professional rider, Bryn Atkinson (Blue Mountains).

With a near perfect run Rennie improved on his qualifying time of 3 min 20.34 sec.

“I’ve had a perfect run just one little falter,” he explained. Coming into the finish at a blistering pace Rennie admitted he was going too fast.

“I had to break a bit near the finish I was cooking. The track had dried out a bit and I wanted to keep both wheels on the ground,” he stated.

Spectators crowded the bottom of the course awaiting Rennie’s speedy descent. “I was wondering where everyone was at the top,” said Rennie, “then I came into the finish. It was awesome.”

“It’s great to win on the Gold Coast in my own backyard. I’m a local boy here and I’ve had a few more runs than the other guys,” he explained.

Rennie praised the course at Illinbah, saying it has potential.

“This is a great course it’s got a bit of everything. The course here could suit a World Cup. All the riders loved it.”

Third was young Western Australian, Mitch Delfs (Bunbury), while fourth place getter, Amiel Cavalier (Wollongong) takes over the series lead from young Adelaide rider, Will Rischbieth, after he placed 13th .

Another favourite, Jared Rando (Canberra) was unlucky to hit the dirt in the final run.

Local downhillers, Rhys Willemse (Chambers Flats) won the Under 19 division. The 16 year old also claimed the second fastest qualifier of the day. Willemse rode an impressive 3 min 23.97 with only Nathan Rennie bettering his time in qualifying. Second was Tamryn Murrell (Gold Coast) and third place went to Shaun O’Connor (Sydney).

Adelaide’s James Shepherd won the under 17 division.

Four Cross

On Saturday night spectators witnessed one of Australia’s best four cross riders, Jared Graves (Toowoomba) in action. Graves did not put disappoint his home crowd and won the third round of the National Mountain Bike Series at Illinbah near Canungra. Graves put aside his aspirations to make the BMX Olympic squad but claims that it is still his main focus.

“The closer it gets to the Olympics BMX becomes more and more of a focus,” he explained.

Elite women’s winner was National Champion, Caroline Buchanan from Canberra). A strong challenge came from Brisbane’s Sarsha Huntington (Bulimba) and a crash in the final let Buchanan take the win.

The next rounds of downhill and four cross will be in Thredbo on the 15 - 16 December.

Elite Men Downhill
1st # 85 Nathan Rennie (Gold Coast) course record – 3 min 13.74 sec
2nd # 52 Bryn Atkinson (Blue Mountains) 3.19.95
3rd # 80 Mitch Delfs (Bunbury) 3.22.97
4th # 2 Amiel Cavalier (Wollongong) 3.23.42 – new national series leader

Elite Women Downhill
1st # 309 Tracey Hannah (Cairns) 3 min 49.33 sec
2nd # 302 Emma McNaughton (Newcastle) 4.16.19
3rd #301 Claire Whiteman (Canberra) 4.19.62 – retains the series leader

Regards,

Sharon Payne
Media Manager
Mountain Bike Australia

chu

Likes Bikes and Dirt
wow that was a good read....tracey hannah will be big next year i reckon....34 seconds that is amazing:)